Cruising with Google Earth

WIT

I've used Google Earth to preview our last two trips, most recently the Amadeus Christmas Markets Cruise on the Danube. I do obvious things like locate our hotels, ATMs, and attractions so we can make better use of our free time.

Recently GE added photo links of significant places with descriptions. Also available are links to active webcams showing live video of interesting spots.

As I plan for our April Viking China Cultural Delights tour/cruise, I would appreciate hearing from others who have used this wonderful resource for preparing for their cruises, either about China, some Google Earth feature, or both.

WIT,

I´m using google maps quite a bit. Recently a cruise friend of mine ask for some places in New Orleans and I sent him the google maps links (sattelite photo) and showed him the route of the harbor cruise of the steamer Natchez.

steamboats

WIT,

I´m using google maps quite a bit. Recently a cruise friend of mine ask for some places in New Orleans and I sent him the google maps links (sattelite photo) and showed him the route of the harbor cruise of the steamer Natchez.

steamboats

steamboats - Yes, google maps is great for directions in Europe or the USA. Originally, many of my friends had used Mapquest for directions with limited results - now everyone has switched to google maps with the Hybrid display a favorite for directions from place to place. Unfortunately, google maps doesn't yet work for many other parts of the planet.

What you gain by using Google Earth is the ability (one click) to display different layers of content on the same satellite view: Hotels, restaurants, ATMs, historical locations, entertainment options, street names, political/governmental boundaries, even high quality photos of local landmarks, Wikipedia links to describe those places, and webcam links that allow you to see popular locations 24/7 in realtime.

This morning I have been studying Shanghai with Google Earth. I have the elevation set as though I were in a helicopter. Instead of looking straight down, I have tilted the view to see the the city and river in front of me. I 'fly' to different locations using the arrow keys on my laptop, and if an object is interesting I click it to get a photo, webcam, url, or Wikiepedia description. It is snowing again in Chicago, so instead of going out I plan to fly up the Yang Tze to the dam. I have heard that there is a concrete ledge protruding out many yards at the top which gives tourists brave enough some great panoramas.

When we were there in 2005 the group was not allowed anywhere close to the actual dam structure. My best guess is that the perimeter for tourists was about 1 mile out. It is so immense that it is hard to appreciate a distance as short as one mile. Also, the amount of water going over the dam creates a lot of mist in the air that makes it easier ot view from a distance.

Clarence:)

PS - I tried to attach a photo without success.

Lets see if my photo attachment has any better luck this time.

Hooray! It worked. This was taken from a viewing point probably 5 miles away.

Clarence - I see what you mean about the mist. Thanks for the photo.

We have also used Google Earth to check the cities on the Russian River cruise. You can even see where the cruise ships are docked. As our cruise gets closer, we'll go back and check out the roads, and buildings again. Thanks for the reminder.:)

Evie

I don't think that water was passing over the dam when the Google Earth photo was taken or you would see a big cloud of mist. Have you found any way to determine the age of the photos that you are seeing?

I think all Google Earth sat maps are three years old or newer. The last item in the Layers Menu is called Digital Globe Coverage which when opened allows you to select maps from different years.

The 2006 maps for Chongquing run from Feb thru Nov. of last year - the dates display on the sat map in red once 2006 is checked.

Here's where I found some of this info:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/651484/an/0/page/8

seapine - I found the more I studied the sat maps of a city the sooner things became intuitive once I arrived in the real location, especially where I could peek through a webcam of a popular spot I knew I would visit. I guess that's why Google Earth was originally called Keyhole before its purchase by Google.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think that water was passing over the dam when the Google Earth photo was taken or you would see a big cloud of mist. Have you found any way to determine the age of the photos that you are seeing?

This Keyhole BBS post shows Three Gorges with something below the dam. Clicking Digital Globe Coverage (bottom item in Layers Menu) shows an image date of 5/06.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/125084/page/

WIT

Great picture of the dam! I can see the mist in the air! The day that we were there we had a lot of smog mixing with the mist that made it hard to see detail when we were close (within a mile I would estimate) of the dam itself. When we were taken to the observation point on a hill outside of the museum it was much easier to get an overview of immense size of the project.

CIMG0280.jpg.142363daf3a47c713b409cc0e9175bc1.jpg

CIMG0281.jpg.72e481fb82ee2768fa0d92473045a2ec.jpg

Archived