What not to wear on board - from personal experience

Meeko32198

When I was younger my family thought that cruises were the most affordable vacations for our group of 5. Over the years the group has grown to include several more relatives. One thing I have learned though is that cruises always bring out the funniest memories. In which I share with you 2 items not to wear (or wear if you want to get strange looks) on your cruise.

1. If you are going on Carnival, do not wear a shirt that you got on a previous Royal Caribbean cruise. The staff doesn't take kindly to it, even if you are 80 and senile. My grandmother could never remember what ship we were on, but had a different cruise shirt for every day.

2. My dad got the best comments though on his choice of shirts. Days prior in Tampa he had gone to the Titanic Experience, and bought a shirt, that he happened to wear the day of embarkation. He didn't see anything wrong with it, and didn't actually realize it might offend someone until an older woman came up to him in line and yelled at him. He's just a history buff, and thought the exhibit was very interesting. As a side note on every cruise since he's taken this shirt with him as a joke now to wear on board.

A friend of mine and I had a contest in St. Maarten one year to see who could find the tackiest flowered Hawaiian shirt. We wore them to dinner the last night and asked tablemates to vote on the worst shirt... We have gone on several cruises since then and make it a point to bring those same shirts! Believe me -- they are cheesey!:D

we have wore shirt from other cruise line many time without problems. Never heard a staff complain. Wore a HAL jogging suit on RCCL and a carnavel shirt on another RCCL cruise. Wore a RCCL on a princess. Most of this was to work out however and not worn to much through out the day.

I would never ware spedos with my phyisque. Ive seen some others that probably should not as well but, that is their choice.

Through personal experience, I agree with Donna. I wore a knee length flowy skirt onto the Voyager last year... and the seabreeze insisted on lifting it up COMPLETELY while on an upper deck. The good news is that I had a bikini on underneath. The bad news is that the *dozen* people working out in the gym behind me during sailaway (why??), might have mistaken the swimsuit for black panties :eek:

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but...on a Feb '06 cruise rt from NYC to the Caribbean on Norwegian Spirit, I saw a guy in his 60's with a very substantial "bay window" (pot belly) sporting a t-shirt which read:

I

BEAT

ANOREXIA

I only wish I'd had my camera with me at that moment!

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but...on a Feb '06 cruise rt from NYC to the Caribbean on Norwegian Spirit, I saw a guy in his 60's with a very substantial "bay window" (pot belly) sporting a t-shirt which read:

I

BEAT

ANOREXIA

I only wish I'd had my camera with me at that moment!

OMG! That was hysterical!

Not so much a what not to wear but how to wear what you're wearing. Bought one of those outfits on one of the islands with the pants that tie in back and front. Really looked great. Went to the show in the big show lounge. Stood to clap. Pants had come untied, and fell off! :o Make sure you double-knot them.

Not so much a what not to wear but how to wear what you're wearing. Bought one of those outfits on one of the islands with the pants that tie in back and front. Really looked great. Went to the show in the big show lounge. Stood to clap. Pants had come untied, and fell off! :o Make sure you double-knot them.

Oh my gosh! That was just too funny!

Reading some of these posts while sitting at your desk at word can be quite hazardous! :D People tend to look at you funny when you suddenly bark out a laugh! :eek:

On our last Carnival cruise in January we were on a ship sponsored excursion on the Sugar Cane railway in St. Kitts where a senior female citizen decided to wear the new outfit she had purchased in St. Maarten the day before. Unfortunately her new outfit was one of those open crocheted beach cover-ups consisting of crocheted top and pants meant to be worn over a bathing suit.

Unfortunately the lady did not understand the concept of the new outfit she had purchased and was wearing only her underpants and bra beneath the open crocheted threads. The woman was probably in her late 70s or early 80s, built very thin and had a great tan but . . .:eek:

Dianne

Depends on the ship , class , destination , etc. For instance it would be most inappropriate on Cunard Line , especially during a crossing , but perhaps on one of the Carnival ships in the Caribbean , it may be perfectly accepable.Hope you find this usefull.

LOL@Roscoe. I know what they wear under kilts - nothing! I agree.

yes well...a lot of people found out what we wear under kilts that day too!!!!.....

ive learnt my lesson now...i check the wind first

Days prior in Tampa he had gone to the Titanic Experience, and bought a shirt, that he happened to wear the day of embarkation. He didn't see anything wrong with it, and didn't actually realize it might offend someone until an older woman came up to him in line and yelled at him.

Good thing that lady wasn't on my last cruise, sitting at our table of eight. We went from one conversation talking about how cute little lambs are (before dining on spring lamb), to talking about famous shipwrecks. One of our dinner companions was a band director - he began to hum "Nearer my God to Thee" as we all sat laughing hysterically and sang along a bit, as best we could. The wait staff was in stitches - other passengers were not so enthusiastic. It only got worse when history was thrown out the window, and we started into "Titanic" the movie. Let's just say my Rose could use a lot of work, and my tablemates Jack Dawson wasn't so great either - he did manage to disturb the table next to us by asking them if he could draw them in the nude - and he also asked the waiters if there were icebergs in the Caribbean ... this was about 10 minutes worth of dinner ... a few people were disgusted, but the eight of us had a great time. I was just pleased that no one showed up with their life vest the following night (we had talked about it - it could have happened).

Oh did I mention this happened on formal night? :rolleyes:

Archived