Upgraded from VE to VA

PHreuD69

Just found out we got upgraded from a VE cabin to a VA on the Zuiderdam. Is this worth getting excited about? Can anyone share what they know about the differences? Our cabin is 7011, 4 rooms from the back of the ship on the Rotterdam deck, while the VE cabins are all around midship 2 decks lower.

7011 is near the front of the ship. We had a VA cabin in roughly the same location on the Navigation deck for our first cruise on the Zuiderdam and were quite happy with it.

The closer you are to the center of the ship the smoother the ride. Being farther from the center provides for more motion as the ship pitches in rough seas. An inside cabin near mid-ship on one of the lower decks should be the best from this point of view. However, on modern ships with effective stabilizers there probably isn't enough extra motion on the upper decks near the ends of the ship to be a concern unless seas are extremely rough. We only had a few hours total when this motion was enough to bother us on the Navigation deck for two seven day cruises on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam in the Caribbean.

Just found out we got upgraded from a VE cabin to a VA on the Zuiderdam. Is this worth getting excited about? Can anyone share what they know about the differences? Our cabin is 7011, 4 rooms from the back of the ship on the Rotterdam deck, while the VE cabins are all around midship 2 decks lower.

Back of the ship is good. I haven't been on this ship but I believe Deck 7 is concierge level (like in a hotel), so you would be on that level with out the concierge service.

I am curious if you booked directly with HAl, a TA or on-line TA? Also, how many weeks away from the cruise are you since being told of the upgrade? Thanks

As SWeaster said, 7011 is at the FRONT of the ship. Unless there are other differences between a VA and a VE not stated on the HAL website, other than what deck they are on, I would much rather have the VE midship than a very front VA location. Front can get more than a little bumpy in rough seas while midship on a middle deck is the more stable.

There is little difference between being on Rotterdam deck or Veranda deck. Rotterdam deck (7) is closer to the Lido pool/restaurant deck; Veranda Deck (5) is closer to lounges and dining room. But there are elevators so it makes little difference. Location on each deck is more important to us.

sorry about the directional mistake, I was looking at the diagram wrong (being a cruise virgin and all...). Thanks for the info. To answer a question from one of the replies, we are cruising in two weeks, and just saw the room assignment this morning. We used a TA (non internet). I think it's just going to be a "take what we can get" at this point.

And a second question, though. Why is VA more expensive than VE anyway? Anyone know?

In general, there are no dfferences in any of the V Category rooms.

Yes, there are slight differences, such as some of the lowest V category have steel railings on the balconies, some deck levels have balconies that are slightly narrower/deeper than the rest. But for the most part, the V cabins are the same size, set up the same, same balcony, same amenities, etc. The Main difference between the two is location. It is believed that as you go from VH to VA that the cabins are in an increasingly better location. (Typically upward in deck).

Me personally would not consider for instance a VC to a VA necessarily an upgrade. Yes you are getting a more "costly" room at a lower rate. You get the same size room, just in a different location. Many times the "upgrades" that are handed out are for less desirable locations, ie. furthest forward/ rearward, giving greatest chance for motion, directly under the pool decks with noise over you from cleaning/dragging chairs, etc.

Not all "upgrades" are for the better.

We had 8010 on the Westerdam, on the Baltic, and our experience was much like SWeater's: we had some motion one night, for a few hours, that was enough to bother me a little but not DW.

We liked that it was not between any two elevators, so did not get as much traffic past the door as mid-ship cabins.

We'd take it again, anyday!

In general, there are no dfferences in any of the V Category rooms.

Yes, there are slight differences, such as some of the lowest V category have steel railings on the balconies, some deck levels have balconies that are slightly narrower/deeper than the rest. But for the most part, the V cabins are the same size, set up the same, same balcony, same amenities, etc. The Main difference between the two is location. It is believed that as you go from VH to VA that the cabins are in an increasingly better location. (Typically upward in deck).

Does anyone know which of the V categories have the steel railings?

Thanks!

Meg

PHreuD69...was your original booking a gaurantee or was it a selected cabin. We are booked for a gaurantee inside for the March 17th sailing and we are just wondering if HAL is starting to assign cabins yet.

Thanks

Based on my 3 guarantees, I'd say you've got about another 10 days to wait.

PHreuD69...was your original booking a gaurantee or was it a selected cabin. We are booked for a gaurantee inside for the March 17th sailing and we are just wondering if HAL is starting to assign cabins yet.

Thanks

I got mine for the 10th March sailing, a week ago today, so you could get it any time :)

Thanks

It was a guarantee.

Archived