It SAVES to go with HAL!!!!!

mrskmirolla

Color me dumb, I thought I knew just about everything I needed to know to take a cruise on HAL. But lo and behold I found an additional advantage to sail with HAL. We live just north of Los Angeles and I am sure like the rest of you gas is really up, today $269 for regular, then add in the parking in San Diego at anywhere from $8 to $12 a day it is a little costly but cheaper than flying:D

Well we decided to check with Amtrak. Wow:eek: we were told since we are sailing with HAL we get a 25% discount to take the train!! WooHoo what a bargain. My husband is a senior and would have received 15% off and I have AAA (not a senior yet) and would get 10%.

We are soooooo stoked! So once again it PAYS OR SAVES TO CRUISE WITH HOLLAND AMERICA:D:D:D

Kathy

Kathy..thank you, this is good news. We're using Amtrak for the Noordam in December and I'll be looking into this. I don't see anything regarding HAL on the Amtrak site, so I'll call them as well. ;)

Karen

Well we decided to check with Amtrak. Wow:eek: we were told since we are sailing with HAL we get a 25% discount to take the train!! WooHoo what a bargain. My husband is a senior and would have received 15% off and I have AAA (not a senior yet) and would get 10%.We are soooooo stoked! So once again it PAYS OR SAVES TO CRUISE WITH HOLLAND AMERICA:D:D:D

Kathy

Karen,

The agent at the train station said it was in our book but I didn't find it. But she searched on her computer because she was pretty sure they did and sure enough they do.

If the station is close to your home you might want to go and buy the tickets and have them do the checking for you. I went on line first then called and both of those I was told a different price and the agent on the phone suggested we go to the station and that is what we did. On the phone the agent wanted to sell us business class and the agent at the station said we didn't need it. So if it is close I would go there.

Good luck,

Kathy

Karen,The agent at the train station said it was in our book but I didn't find it. But she searched on her computer because she was pretty sure they did and sure enough they do.

If the station is close to your home you might want to go and buy the tickets and have them do the checking for you. I went on line first then called and both of those I was told a different price and the agent on the phone suggested we go to the station and that is what we did. On the phone the agent wanted to sell us business class and the agent at the station said we didn't need it. So if it is close I would go there.

Good luck,Kathy

Thanks, Kathy...the station is very close to home, that's why we use Amtrak rather than drive, fly or use HAL's bus service to NY. I'll have to stop by, since it sounds like the typical mega company customer service where if you call you'll get 10 different responses from 10 different reps. ;)

Karen

Karen,The agent at the train station said it was in our book but I didn't find it. But she searched on her computer because she was pretty sure they did and sure enough they do.

Good luck,Kathy

Thanks, Kathy...the station is very close to home, that's why we use Amtrak rather than drive, fly or use HAL's bus service to NY. ;)

Karen

What are baggage rules on Amtrak? We once looked into doing Amtrak to New York from Boston but luggage restrictions made it impractical for us. We flew the last two times we went.

I wonder if they have changed as that was some time ago.

Sail,

Carryon is limited to 2 pieces per passenger not to exceed 28x22x14 or 50lbs. Checked baggage is limited to 3 pieces per person not exceeding 50lbs, up to 3 additional pieces per passenger may be checked with a service charge only for the additional. Can't see any of us with 6 bags each do you:D They want you to check in no latter than 30 miutes prior to departure.

We are really excited about taking the train.

Kathy

Archived