Renting car in the Hawaiian Islands

Jimjam

If you made a reservation you don't have to call when you get to the port (even though the confirmation says you should call). I called in the first port and was told that all I had to do was get on the shuttle. The car rental offices are just a short ride from the pier.

In Honolulu I saw a few car rental offices right downtown. TheBus worked just great for us. I took theBus all around the island for just $2.00.

Diane

Hi all.... not to beat a dead horse here, :) , but I have read here that there is no shuttle from pier, honolulu for car rental, if I am reading this correctly. We have reservation with Thriftys, which provides pier to pier shuttle. I used this recommended site, http://www.carrentalinhawaii.com/ and after reading posts here, I sent another email to confirm shuttle service would be available when we disembark in Honolulu, and it was confirmed. Hope this works out for us, will let you all know :) , Regards ~phyllis~
We are renting from Thrifty also. They confirmed a shuttle would pick us up at the pier.teajak

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up each island I wanted a rental car, called local car rental asked which one picked you up at ship

so far we booked ...

enterprise

677 ala moana blvd

honolulu 808-536-1555

thrifty

kauai

1877-283-0898

hope that helps

plumeria

summit Jan 2 2006

Car Rentals

14. Call all the major rental firms and compare rates before you book (and don't forget to check their websites, which usually have special deals). Even after you've made your reservations, call again and check rates a few days or weeks later -- you may stumble upon a cheaper rate. When getting quotes, keep in mind that Hawaii has a $3-per-day state highway fund surcharge. The car rental companies don't include this surcharge, or Hawaii state taxes, when they quote rates.

15. Book via the car company's website, sometimes you can save 10% to 30% by booking direct. If you don't speak Internet, then call the toll-free number for each car company and ask for the cheapest rate on the smallest car. If there are only two of you traveling, get a subcompact or compact (sometimes called an economy car). The $5 or more per day you save can add up -- and you'll save money on gas and have an easier time parking. If the agent tells you that all the economy cars are booked, this may be a ploy to get you to upgrade; thank them and book with another company.

16. Book at weekly rates when possible -- you can save a bundle. If you're going to more than one island, ask the car rental firm if they offer multi-island bookings. Setting up your rental contract this way allows you to book at cheaper weekly rates even if you're moving from island to island every few days. This way, if you go to Oahu for 4 days and Maui for 3, you'll pay for 1 week at the weekly rate rather than four times the daily rate on Oahu and three times the daily rate on Maui.

17. There are car-rental booking agencies that work to find you the best deal available from the major car-rental companies. By combining the promotional specials that the major chains offer to travel agents with the discounts you may be entitled to as a member of a national organization (such as AARP, Costco, USAA, AAA, etc.), they get you the best deal possible -- as much as 10% to 30% off what you'd pay by booking directly. The following companies book cars on every island, except Molokai and Lanai: AA Aloha Cars-R-U (tel. 800/655-7989 or 808/879-7989; http://www.maui.net/~dante) and Hookipa Haven Vacation Services (tel. 800/398-6284 or 808/579-8202; http://www.hookipa.com).

18. If you arrive at the rental desk with a valid car reservation with a confirmation number, the agents are obligated to honor the rate you were quoted -- even if they have to give you an upgrade. A ploy some rental companies use when they're all out of the grade of car you booked (economy cars often get booked up first) is to tell you that for just a few more dollars a day, they'll put you in a "better car." Make them stick to their original quote.

19. Hawaii's "no fault" insurance laws have sent the price of insurance sky-high, thereby forcing most independent car rental companies (the "Rent-A-Wreck" types) out of business. But Oahu still has one family-run company offering discount rates -- Tradewinds (tel. 888/388-7368; http://www.tradewindsudrive.com), which has a fleet of some 300 cars. Rates start at $18 a day (Hawaii's no fault coverage is included in that fee). Weekly and monthly rentals offer super savings over the national chains. Free airport pick up and drop off. Book well in advance. On Maui, the most accessible used-car-rental firm is Word of Mouth Rent-a-Used-Car, in Kahului (tel. 800/533-5929 or 808/877-2436; http://www.mauirentacar.com). They offer an older, four-door compact without air-conditioning for $120 a week, plus tax; with air-conditioning, it's $140 a week, plus tax. Discount Car Rental, 1993 S. Kihei Rd., Suite 214-B Kihei (tel. 877/874-480 or 808/874-4800), rent used economy cars at a weekly rate of $115 to $140, plus tax. They do not provide airport pickup, however. You'll have to make your own way to Kihei (it's about $28 via taxi).

20. Always return your rental car full of gas. The prices the rental companies charge you to fill your tank when you don't are often double or triple the already high price per gallon charged at local filling stations. On Kauai, the cheapest gas station near the airport is Hanamaulu Shell Station, 3-4280 Kuhio Hwy., just outside Lihue (tel. 808/245-7220). On the Big Island, where gas in Kona is 15? more per gallon than it is on the other side of the island in Hilo, head to Costco, 73-5600 Maiau Kona St. (tel.808/334-0770, in the new industrial area) before dropping your car off at the airport. It's the cheapest gas on the Big Island, but you must be a Costco member and pay with an American Express or Costco credit card. On Maui, try BHP Gas Express, 243 Puunene Ave., Kahului (tel. 808/877-0604). And remember: Don't bother putting expensive gas in the tank. After all, it is a rental.

plumeria

Plumeria, are you sure that the Kona Costco gas station only takes the Amex and Costco credit cards? All the costco gas stations I've been to on the mainland also accept the standard retinue of other cards (Visa, MC, Discover, etc.) The stores only take Amex/Costco, but the gas pumps take the others. Can you and others verify this?

Archived