RCCL vs. Celebrity

I just returned from a cruise on Adventure of the seas and proceeded to book a new cruise with RCCL, but I had the loyalty ambassador price both RCCL and Celebrity for comparison. Celebrity came in $600 cheaper for the same date and room type. I thought Celebrity was more up scale and therefore more expensive. Does anyone have any idea why RCCL is so much more expensive?

I did book the Serenade, but I am thinking of switching to Celebrity. RCCL prices seem extremely high, they quoted me $1450 for an E1. Celebrity was $1100 for Concierge Class room. Does anyone have any ideas why the price difference?

Thanks,

Jerry

Be sure to look at the whole package itinerary, ship, and dates. I cruise with a small group each year, we're 40-50ish. The Celebrity cruise was way too sedate for us.

YOu can see by my signature - we go back and forth. Here's my 2 cents.

Celebrity - more sophisticated but not snobby (for example the pool chairs are padded, not the plastic bands that tattoo you), better breakfast room service if interested, yes less children but really less in the school age zone and teens,food - no comparison, X far superior in every way, decor more refined, passengers more of the middle class, upper middle class variety.

RCCL - atmosphere is more casual, food presentation is simpler but no complaints on dinner - breakfast and lunch the food can be bland. Louder presence and activities - but that can be attributed to younger and rowdier passengers. More diversity in ages and in income/education levels (not meant in a negative way - don't attack me for a general observation), crew is a little more casual toward passengers, not as formal

Very nicely stated as always Wolfganghowell. After out cruise on Mariner of the Seas I will be posting a long message on the differences between the Millennium and the Mariner of the Seas. I will also compare the differences in the Cabins as well 9038 on Millie and 6326 on Mariner of the seas (an after facing Hump cabin) After listening to wolfgang's advice last year I have found that looking at the deck plans is a very good idea you can find the best locations that way (9038 on Millie is a perfect example of that) Looking forward to the cruise. Keep up the great work Wolfgang :D

I just returned from a cruise on Adventure of the seas and proceeded to book a new cruise with RCCL, but I had the loyalty ambassador price both RCCL and Celebrity for comparison. Celebrity came in $600 cheaper for the same date and room type. I thought Celebrity was more up scale and therefore more expensive. Does anyone have any idea why RCCL is so much more expensive?

When I was looking at Alaska cruises for 2007 in April 2006, Celebrity's prices started out higher then RCI's for the same itinerary/same dates. I've noticed that prices on RCI have gone up, whereas some of Celebrity's prices have gone down, and I attribute that to RCI being the more popular cruiseline.

Thanks to all the reply's, I never really intended to go with Celebrity, but when the price difference was $600 I wanted to check out my options. I was just on Adventure last week and have booked Serenade for 2008, I was on Serenade in 2006. I love the southern itinerary, but both ships are comparable in size that is why I was asking.

Jerry

Aw shucks, Gadget. Glad you liked "OUR" room. I guess my newest mission must be to find all these sedate Celebrity cruises. We're hardly sedate and always have a great time.

Sounds like a great idea to me. It is going to be interesting to see just how much difference there is between Concergie Class 9038 and E2 6326 other than $500 PP less than the Millie. Last year you had OUR room the week before We had OUR room. If I find a Great OUR room on Mariner I will certainly pass it along :D LOL a large wolf at 6 foot 4 plus can't be very sedate. It was to bad that I did not get here early enough to see you guys leave last year. But OUR room was the best.

David & Cathy

We have cruised Celebrity on the Mercury (Alaska) & Century (Carib). We really enjoyed the service, food & ambience, however both cruises suffered from shortened unannounced port time changes that ticked us off. We felt Celebrity falsely advertises port times, plus severe (breakdown) issues on Infinity class ships. My SIG has enjoyed RCCL in the past & we are going to give Adventure a try in May. SIG does not want to use Celebrity again.

Gadget - yes let me know a Mariner room. We will be doing Voyager in spring 2008 and will do a junior suite but the picky Wolf (Mister of course) will want a great one. I'm gonna call seniority on 9038 though - we've stayed in it 4 times! Have a great cruise.

I have been looking at Voyager class plans and Junior Suites 9328 and 9628 are on the aft end of the Hump and appear to have more space than the standard Junior Suite. I will make it a point to look when I get on Mariner. You win on 9038 seniority 4 to 1 but I plan on closing the gap on that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The way RCCL and X both explained it to me is that what ever level I obtain on one BEFORE I cruise on the other...hmmm that is going to get confusing...lets try this:

Lets say I have enough trips on RCCL to become 2nd tier with them (10 points). I then take my first cruise on X and join their program...I instantly become 2nd tier with X however, while it takes 5 more to become top tier on RCCL I would then have to earn by actually sailing 10 points on X to move to top tier to make up the 5 they gave me. That is why I am waiting until I reach diamond on RCCL to be recognized as top tier on X.

We have cruised Celebrity on the Mercury (Alaska) & Century (Carib). We really enjoyed the service, food & ambience, however both cruises suffered from shortened unannounced port time changes that ticked us off. We felt Celebrity falsely advertises port times, plus severe (breakdown) issues on Infinity class ships. My SIG has enjoyed RCCL in the past & we are going to give Adventure a try in May. SIG does not want to use Celebrity again.

Mercury and Century are Century class ships, not M class. M class are the ones with the pod problems.

I have experienced shortened or cancelled ports on most lines, including quite a few on RCI. Most were weather related.

I did book the Serenade, but I am thinking of switching to Celebrity. RCCL prices seem extremely high, they quoted me $1450 for an E1. Celebrity was $1100 for Concierge Class room. Does anyone have any ideas why the price difference?

Thanks,

Jerry

We like both Celebrity and RCI, and especially like the M-Class ships from Celebrity. The X T- Pool is WONDERFUL. Concierge Class on Summit is a larger room (191sf) than an E-1 on Serenade (179sf). CC also gives you upgraded amenities in the cabin. The itineraries are completely different for the two cruises, and Summit has two ports that I absolutely love (Aruba, and Dominica) for snorkeling. Summit also offers alternative casual dining (table service with menus in the buffet area) in the evenings with views out huge floor to ceiling windows, that is perfect for those that don't want to be tied to a dining room schedule or dress code. Celebrity offers C&A members that are Platinum and above nice perks too. For the difference in price, I would choose Celebrity Summit for this cruise.

Celebrity offers C&A members that are Platinum and above nice perks too. For the difference in price, I would choose Celebrity Summit for this cruise.

I am wondering what those "perks" might be:confused:?

I am Diamond Plus on RCI and Elite on X and the perks on X have been meaningless. That being said, I do not cruise for the perks and would choose X over RCI period.

I am wondering what those "perks" might be:confused:?

I am Diamond Plus on RCI and Elite on X and the perks on X have been meaningless. That being said, I do not cruise for the perks and would choose X over RCI period.

We have been invited to backstage to tour behind the scenes in the theater and meet preformers for a Q&A session, we have also been invited to a bridge tour, also a wine tasting.

I also don't cruise for perks, but thought they were worth a mention. Sorry that it offended you. :confused:

I haven't posted many times before but this subject really got me interested in saying something. I have cruised on both RCL & X, and when I went on Millenium I was expecting the same wonderful service, friendliness and a feeling of 'coming home' like I always have with RCL. I never got it. Never had such a rotten cruise. From waiters who couldn't spend more than 30 seconds at your table, a head waiter who I spoke to once during a 7 night cruise, to concierge attendants who couldn't answer two simple questions, and ultimately the snobbiest people in the 'upscale' restaurant I have ever met it was a horrible experience. To top it off this was the week before Christmas and only the main staircase has any sort of decorations, it was like they just didn't care about anything. We are Diamond level on RCL and it does transfer over to get the same level on X, and that's the only thing that saved me from saying I will never cruise X again. I don't know if people responding have actually been on an X cruise or are just making assumptions as we did, but it's not a step up in quality, service or food. I'll stick with what I know is great - RCL.

Not offended at all, just curious:).

We started to do the bridge tour on Century but one woman showed up with a screaming toddler and insisted he be allowed to tag along. After arguing with the staff person for ten minutes, we gave up and decided to find a more enjoyable activity.

RCI has great perks for the frequent guests. Personally, I find the coupon books on X and the single category (within the same category) upgrade unexciting.

It would be nice if X got serious about their loyalty program.

Archived