Marriott Hollybeach hotel ???

cruizmama

We stayed there two nights prior to our cruise. We didn't walk down the boardwalk, but a waitress told us it was three-miles long (I believe). If you stand facing the water, she told us that all the stores and restaurants are toward your right (which would be south).

This hotel was just okay...IMO. We happened to be there prior to the Super Bowl, so we were stuck at the far end (away from the water). I think all rooms have a view, some just have better ones. We weren't allowed to check into our room until around 4:30 or so (but I think this had to do with the whole Super Bowl thing, and that they don't normally operate this way), so we ate a late lunch at the restaurant there. They have only one restaurant (that we saw), and we felt it had a very limited menu. We also like to do room service, and as far as we could find out, the only things you could order were things that were listed on this rather limited menu. Now this may not matter to you...but it did to us. :)

The bed was really amazing. It was so comfy!!! However, they are very high off the floor and we had to call and request a step stool. The problem with this is that these rooms are really not very big and I was always tripping over the step stool.

Also, someone had stolen the pictures off the wall in our room, and the door lock didn't work (we used the clip thing that latches across the door for security at night). We also had a bad sliding door on the patio. It really did not want to slide open, and hubby had to be the one to do this.

Another thing that we thought was REALLY odd is that the bathroom doors have a glass panel. It's a big panel, and although it's beveled, you could see right though it. So having people in your room would be a bit weird. And I always hide out in the bathroom when room service is delevered, but you couldn't do that at this place. Another problem was when someone would get up to go to the restroom in the night, you'd either have to do it in the dark, because if you turn on the light, it lights the whole room up. Hubby is an early riser. He likes to take long showers. He didn't do this because it was still dark outside, and the light would have woken me up.

The HAL rep told me that they'd had a lot of complaints and wasn't sure if they'd use this place again. But for a couple of nights, we dealt with it. We're pretty easy to make happy, so we just let it all go. But this place is all about location...and the water is pretty. One night there was a full moon and it was just so pretty looking at the water.

We recently stayed post cruise. We felt it was very overpriced for what we received ($300/night booked through HAL). Staff was very rude - did not even bother to offer to help with our luggage. Did not eat at restaurant - just had a drink. We walked a long way both ways up and down boardwalk. The shops are very old and need updating. We ended up eating at a local restaurant on the boardwalk called Nick's. Basically just a bar with food. I had grouper and it was very good. The rest of the food was just ok. The boardwalk itself is very pretty. You have to watch out for bikers and skaters. Probably won't go back!

If you stay on 16th Causeway you are less than a mile to the ship. They have an Ebassy Suite there and plenty of resturants and shops around. Mexican (Calos & Peppe's, Charles Steaks, Outback and more. I am from there and the Marriott is over priced. Anything near the water you will pay $$$$'s for. Look under Ft. Lauderdale 16th Causeway.

If you stay on 16th Causeway you are less than a mile to the ship. They have an Ebassy Suite there and plenty of resturants and shops around. Mexican(Calos & Peppe's, Charles Steaks, Outback and more. I am from there and the Marriott is over priced. Anything near the water you will pay $$$$'s for. Look under Ft. Lauderdale 16th Causeway. GOOD LOCATION

If you stay on 16th Causeway you are less than a mile to the ship. They have an Ebassy Suite there and plenty of resturants and shops around. Mexican(Calos & Peppe's, Charles Steaks, Outback and more. I am from there and the Marriott is over priced. Anything near the water you will pay $$$$'s for. Look under Ft. Lauderdale 16th Causeway. GOOD LOCATION

We would have much preferred to stay where you're suggesting, but we (I) made the mistake of booking a cruise that was leaving the Saturday before Super Bowl. Everything was booked solid. No one I talked with would even consider anything less than a four-day stay (we were only wanting two nights).

So we ended up using HAL for our pre-cruise hotel. I think we only paid $169 or so a night, so it wasn't too bad. Someone at the hotel told me the rooms were going for $600 a night (because of Super Bowl) so we felt lucky to have a room!

The HAL rep told me they weren't even sure they were going to get rooms at the Hollywood Marriott. They ended up getting a few, but they had people in rooms as far away as West Palm Beach. The rep also told me about another Marriott (can't think of the name) that they will probably use in the future (since they had so many complaints about this one).

We really wanted to stay on the other side of FLL. Our favorite restaurant is in Deerfield Beach. We always visit Oceans 234 when we are in the area. We love the place...the food is good and the location is awesome.

But for a day or two, I can deal with about anything. The best thing about the hotel in Hollywood was the location. The views were really nice.

We always stay on 16th St Causeway. There are 2 great Italian Resturants in Pompano Beach on On East Atlantic Blvd. LaVeranda very nice and very good!!(Very Good) Then there is Franks on the same road but closer to the water. The Firsherman is on US1 in Ft. Lauderdale.

During any sports event they always raise the price and for the boat parade in December all the hotels on the water $$$$$

Any questions please feel free to email me.

SJ

We always stay on 16th St Causeway. There are 2 great Italian Resturants in Pompano Beach on On East Atlantic Blvd. LaVeranda very nice and very good!!(Very Good) Then there is Franks on the same road but closer to the water. The Firsherman is on US1 in Ft. Lauderdale.

During any sports event they always raise the price and for the boat parade in December all the hotels on the water $$$$$

Any questions please feel free to email me.

SJ

Thanks for listing those restaurants. We're in the area a lot, so we'll check them out. :)

Archived