Looking for recommendations for stingray tours in Grand Cayman

I've checked the Cayman Island board but wanted to hear from fellow Carnival cruisers. What stingray tour company have you used? I know there's Sotos, Capt. Bryan's, Capt. Marvin's (?), and one other one North something...

It looks like Soto's is one of the cheapest.

Do they all typically involve snorkeling too?

Tell me all the details. :D

We were in GC last week on the Inspiration and went with Soto's. Great outfit!!
They pick you up right near the dock. About a 10 minute ride to the boat. About 20 minute ride to 1st stop. 1st stop snorkeling at Coral Gardens about 30 minutes. 2nd stop snorkeling near "drop-off" and see their guy coax out a moray eel from a rock about 30 minutes. 3rd stop Stingray city. Hold, feed, get spit at by stingrays about 30 minutes. Their photographer takes digital photos of your group which you can buy later if you want. They have lemonade, water, and bathroom on board.

[font=Fixedsys][size=3][color=blue]We did Captain Marvin's on our last trip to the Cayman's and they were great from start to finish. Very nice staff, you can get a digital video (DVD or VHS) of your trip with them, nice boat...no rushing along, very enjoyable and HALF the price of the excursion through the ship.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]

We booked online at sotoscruises.com. To ease your time worries, tell them you will be on the Inspiration and they will put you in the right tour time. These folks know the ships schedules way better than we do.

I don't remember the actual time difference but we rushed to get off the ship ASAP and hurried to the meeting point to meet at 8:50 a.m. their time. Turns out we had about 90+ minutes to kill before leaving. Their pickup is right across from Blackbeard's rum cakes, so I sampled and purchased mine early (in case we didn't have time to shop after Sotos). Every single person asked "Will we get back to the ship in time?" and they said "Don't worry" Of course we did a little. Turned out we got back in time enough to shop another hour or more before catching the tender. You do A LOT in 4-5 hours with the Soto folks, but you never feel rushed at any of the stops.

[quote name='Travelgrrl']Nativeway is GREAT - only $25, a nice small ship, lots of personal attention. I can't say enough nice things about this family run operation![/QUOTE]

Nativeway...that's what I was trying to think of (not North something...knew it started with an N)

Thanks for all the tips!

I also used Nativeway in February for our group of 34 people. This is the 4th time we have done Stingray City, with 4 different operators, and I have to say that Nativeway beat them all, hands down. I do have to add that I thought they had mentioned that their rates had gone up to $30 pp, but even if it did, it's still a bargain.

Happy to hear the vote of confidence for NativeWay.... That's who we booked through. We were a little concerned about the time issue - but have come to the conclusion that these folks will do their darndest to get us back on time - so we're just going to relax and enjoy. Not much longer now...

Right choice, we used Nativeway 2 years ago, great personal attention. Nothing but good things to say. I still look at my picures holding those huge creatures and can't believe it. Make sure you bring an underwater camera too. Better grade disposable ones work great.
Enjoy!!!

On the Miracle 8/7, 8 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!

We took Native Way and had a great tour. We went to Stingray City Sandbar, then coral gardens for more snorkeling. They offered to take the boat to another snorkeling area, but the majority wanted to return to the pier area (shopping, I guess).
Their website is [url="http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/"]www.nativewaywatersports.com[/url]
This experience, with whatever operator you choose, is not to be missed:D .

Also, some of us asked Sharon (one of the owners who transported us out to the boat and does the arranging) if we could get a taxi to Hell. She called around for us and had someone waiting when we stepped off the boat. It was a fun tacky tourist stop, complete with devil, and we had some postcards postmarked from there.

My wife and I used Nativeway last fall while on the Triumph and could not have been happier. We used them base on previous recommendations here on CruiseCritic. We were so happy with that, we went to the internet cafe that night to get CruiseCritic recommendations for the next in Jamaica.

I doubt we'll ever book another tour through the ship again.

Does anyone know if any of the 'operators' just do StingRay City..??
My DW (girlfriend at the time) had a really bad experience while snorkeling when she did what they said, DON'T DO. After a big mouthful of salt water, not knowing what to do and swallowing it; then panic set in..!
Thanks to the Captain of the boat all went OK.. needless to say, she wants to go back to StingRay City with her son, but no more snorkeling for her, or she'll stay on the ship and 'go to the spa'! :eek: or shopping!! :eek:

Archived