Ice Skating questions...

skittl1321

So searching the Royal Caribbean website and cruisecritic, I gathered that skating is not an additional charge, has limited hours, and you must wear pants and socks.

My questions:

1) How limited are the hours? Is skating regularly available on sea days? port days?

2)Can I bring my own skates? If I do, do they still require socks? (I cannot imagine skating in socks!)

Hi,

From what I remember from our 11/06 Mariner cruise, there were several different sessions during the week for ice skating, but the times and days varied.

I also seem to recall at least one "advanced" session where you had to have your own skates in order to participate.

I'm not sure if they still require socks on the advanced session, but I actually can't imagine skating without them.

Have fun,

Wendy

You definitely can bring your own skates, and if you do, they won't know or care if you wear socks. I'm a skater too, and I know what you mean about wearing socks! They will still enforce the pants rule.

I haven't been on a Voyager class recently, but I heard that they sometimes have freestyle sessions for people who know how to skate. But you should double check, because I'm not sure about that.

The last time I was one a Voyager class ship, the skating hours were pretty limited, but I'm pretty sure they at least have some time every sea day, maybe every day. It should be listed on the Compass.

The hours were fairly limited but I met people who took their own skates and skated most days. We were on the Concierge level and also had two special time slots where we could skate. I think if you had your own skates you could go without socks. The rental skates were the ones with the "ski boot" type closings, and weren't very comfortable.

Viv

Skating times are limited but for good reason. The performers practice a LOT. This comes from first hand knowledge because my sister is a performer on the Mariner (name drop time! :) ). If you're a serious skater don't get the idea that this will be similar to public skating on land. The ice surface is downright tiny compared to what you're used to. You're very limited in the amount of space you have. The public skates they have are not so great. You strap into them like ski boots. So if you're really serious it may be fun to bring your own skates.

All this being said it is really FUN to skate on a cruise ship. How often can you do that??? They definitely have something very unique and popular. What is amazing is after all these years the ice show is still the most popular show on the ship.

All this being said it is really FUN to skate on a cruise ship. How often can you do that??? They definitely have something very unique and popular. What is amazing is after all these years the ice show is still the most popular show on the ship.

Skating is the main reason I am considering this line- silly huh? I just think the idea of seeing a (from what I hear a GREAT- tell your sister congrats) ice show on board, to the chance to actually skate.

I didn't imagine it would be anything like a real rink- but even the ability to put the skates on for a little while is just so awesome.

I remember seeing a picture somewhere, and it looked liked they had curtained off part of the rink. Now I have never seen the ice surfacin person, so now I wonder how big it is.

My 11 year old is pumped about the idea that he can play mini golf, basketball, rock climb, wave ride and skate all in the same place.

my question is... is it worth it to bring his hockey skates or should he get skates on board? DH really doesn't want the balky packing. He's the type that brings 5 -shirts and shorts, and a suit for good measure:rolleyes:

I don't know how to tell you if it's worth it to bring your own skates. For a hockey skater it might not make as much difference having the stiff ski-boot type of skates.

Also, I don't know the exact dimensions of the rink, but it is TINY! I think the length of the rink is less than the width of a normal rink. It's really small (and wait til you see the mini-zamboni!), and that's part of what amazes me about the ice show. I've seen A LOT of ice shows, and considering the size of that ice surface, I am amazed at what those skaters are able to do! But that being said, it is fun to skate on the ship. I won't be doing it this time because I don't want to have to pack my skates (and there's no way I would skate in those--or any!--rentals). But I skated on my first two cruises, and I'm really glad I did.

Archived