Gatun Lake Kayak & Eco Tour

RB Bonzo

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My husband and I just got back from the Jan 5th sailing of the Summit and went on this excursion in Panama. It was so-so.

We were picked up after tendering to a dock. The first stop was at a set of locks (sorry, mind blank, cannot remember the name of the locks). We watched as a boat moved into the lock, while it filled with water, and then as it left the lock. It seemed to be a long time doing this - I was itching to get to the kayaks.

We then went to a hotel where we stood around while the guide changed his clothes. I suspect that we were expected to buy souvenirs at the hotel gift shop.

Then down to the water. We were given "life jackets". While they might have aided someone to float in case of a dump in the water, they were not in good repair and certainly not "CSA" approved. I didn't care so much, but my husband is a NON SWIMMER and this worried him somewhat.

Into the kayaks and a paddle across the lake to some little islands. It was quite beautiful and we managed to paddle into a quiet little eddy where we saw some monkeys and listened to birds. A little more kayaking and we were back to the hotel (again, another opportunity to buy something) then a bus ride to the port at Colon.

My review in a short sentence - Too much shopping opportunity, not nearly enough kayak time. If you're looking for a good paddle, this may not be enough for you. However, it was nice to get out on the water.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Archived