Can I use my sunscreen from last year?

newtocruising99

Sure you can use it.... but I wouldn't use it to protect myself from the sun. But, if you do, yogurt or thick white cheese might help with the sunburn. Personally, I'm going to buy a brand new bottle and enjoy the piece of mind.

If you are feeling bad about losing it, may I suggest that you use it instead of a body lotion or hand lotion, since it's no longer effective as a sun block.

Hey there,

Anybody know if there's an expiry date on sunscreen? I have over half a bottle left from last year's vacation. Just wondering if I should scrap it or use it for my upcoming cruise?

thanks

pam

Hi Pam, whats a new tube of Sunblock will cost you? Compare to the price you would pay after getting Skin Cancer? Buy a new tube.

Fred

Hey there,

Anybody know if there's an expiry date on sunscreen? I have over half a bottle left from last year's vacation. Just wondering if I should scrap it or use it for my upcoming cruise?

thanks

pam

See if there is an expiration date on the bottle and go by that. If it doesn't have a date call the company and ask. If that's too much of of a bother buy new and toss the old. "No-Ad" sunscreen is priced alot better that name brand sunscreens. (I've bought it at Walmart. :rolleyes: )

Found this on several different websites:

Be sure to check the sunscreen's expiration date regularly. The typical shelf life is 3 years. However, exposure to extreme temperatures can shorten the life of the product.

So not only should you look at the expire date, you should examine the product. If if has changed from what it originally looked like (oils seperated, etc), you may want to toss it even if not expired.

On my January cruise I brought a container of Coppertone Sport that I can't even remember when I purchased. I remember taking it with me to a theme park with my now-ex-husband, so it was at least 4 years old. It worked fine- you could definitely tell the difference between the areas I'd covered and the few spots I didn't quite reach. And I am very fair-skinned.

But I did actually just buy some new stuff to take on the April trip, including one container of that spray-on kind, which might eliminate some of the not-reached areas in back.

Archived