How To Get Free Ship Board Credits

cruie4ever

Very interesting.

Will this work if the cruise has already been booked, but has not yet sailed?

As a bit of a joke: will they send these credits if the stock is held in an IRA? It is arguable that that would be a no-no for the IRA holder...

Yes, submit evidence of ownership prior to sail date, allowing for processing, and you should reccieve confirmation of on-board credit. We have two lined up for cruises this year.

Rev22:17: Nice, informative post. Only thing I didn't like was that you bought at $13 - $15, and I bought at $34 and change!

StknCPA,

Will this work if the cruise has already been booked, but has not yet sailed?

Yes. Just buy the shares and send in the paperwork.

As a bit of a joke: will they send these credits if the stock is held in an IRA? It is arguable that that would be a no-no for the IRA holder...

That's actually a very good question!

All that matters is that the statement of the account shows that the shares are beneficially yours. Shares held through an IRA or Roth IRA account are acceptable, so long as you are the beneficial owner. I actually hold my shares through an "individually directed account" (IDA) -- which means that I'm both the beneficial owner and the person who directs the investment of the assets -- that's part of my employer's Profit Sharing and 401(k) plans.

Norm.

Bengoshi,

Rev22:17: Nice, informative post. Only thing I didn't like was that you bought at $13 - $15, and I bought at $34 and change!

Thanks for your kind words!

Unfortunately, I did not buy all of my shares at that price. Rather, I bought my first lot before the "9/11" attack. When the market held a fire sale in response to that event, though, I more than doubled my position. The best time to buy stocks is when the market irrationally puts them on sale -- as it did with many stocks in the 2002-2004 period.

Anyway, I'm hope that you soon exceed my current return on those lots!

Norm.

I found the web site that describes the on board credits program. (It's http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit)

But I am puzzled by the following:

"5. Can I use the offer each time I sail?

Yes, you may request this offer multiple times- as often as you sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruises (Excludes Celebrity Xpeditions). Reservations must be booked no longer than May 1, 2007."

Any got a guess what the last sentence means?

Elsewhere on the RCL web site it says reservations must be booked by May 1, 2007.

Does this mean they are phasing out the program or do they say this each year before they renew the program for the next year?

It seems that for the last couple years since I have been following this, the web site always lists the next May 1 as the expiration date. But then when that date arrives they always extend for another year. Hope that continues.

Can you use the points on the Card for Celebrity ship board credit?

Please, please say "yes"!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cards are 2 separate entities and are not interchangeable. Sorry :(

We have both cards and have benefited greatly. Also have the stock which has more than doubled in value and has paid for itself in OBC.:D

Hey guys (esp Norm) about to put in my paperwork for the stock shipboard credit. I don't think I can put my statement into JPG format though (it is in Adobe), do you know how to convert this? I am also wondering whether the transaction statement is sufficient for the RCL stock or do they need the monthly statement to document that I own the stock at the end of this month? Theoretically I could have bought and sold the stock before my cruise (but that would be silly!). I am a bit worried about confidentiality, and sending my monthly statement with all my other holdings I'm not that comfortable with. I suppose I could black out the other stocks??? I will ask for a confirmation, hopefully they will give me one before my cruise on March 31st but I'm not all that hopeful given what I've heard on the board.

Thanks

Hey guys (esp Norm) about to put in my paperwork for the stock shipboard credit. I don't think I can put my statement into JPG format though (it is in Adobe), do you know how to convert this? I am also wondering whether the transaction statement is sufficient for the RCL stock or do they need the monthly statement to document that I own the stock at the end of this month? Theoretically I could have bought and sold the stock before my cruise (but that would be silly!). I am a bit worried about confidentiality, and sending my monthly statement with all my other holdings I'm not that comfortable with. I suppose I could black out the other stocks??? I will ask for a confirmation, hopefully they will give me one before my cruise on March 31st but I'm not all that hopeful given what I've heard on the board.

Thanks

We have NEVER had a problem with the shareholder benefit, and we have used it many times. I black out all the other the information on the statement.

I make a hard copy of the PDF, then black out the other stocks, financial amounts etc., leaving the pertinent RCI info.

Then I scan it into my computer as a Word doc

I write a cover email requesting the Shareholder Benefit including our names, Captain's Club numbers, ship name, sail date, booking number.

I then attach the Word doc and send it. Usually within 24 hours I get a confirmation email back.

Don't be worried! Enjoy!!:p

I sent the investor relations folks at RCL a note asking about the stauts of the program. Here is their reply. "The program is reviewed on a yearly basis by our Board of Directors. It is currently in review and will be voted on shortly. The current program expires on May 1, 2007. However, the program has historicaly been renewed since it's inception. "

We have NEVER had a problem with the shareholder benefit, and we have used it many times. I black out all the other the information on the statement.

I make a hard copy of the PDF, then black out the other stocks, financial amounts etc., leaving the pertinent RCI info.

Then I scan it into my computer as a Word doc

I write a cover email requesting the Shareholder Benefit including our names, Captain's Club numbers, ship name, sail date, booking number.

I then attach the Word doc and send it. Usually within 24 hours I get a confirmation email back.

Don't be worried! Enjoy!!:p

Thanks Char!

I actually attached a PDF file with my stock certificate, so I really hope that is sufficient. If it isn't then I can do the monthly statement but I don't see how a stock purchase statement around the time of booking isn't enough. I hope they get back to me with confirmation.

Our experience with the stock credit has been really positive. Ms. Buchanan at RCI is very helpful.

Yesl...you can hold the stock in an IRA. No problem.

I just black out everything except for the RCL listing on our latest brokerage statement...including the SS # and Acct. # and fax it with a covering letter.

Definitely ask for an e-mail confirmation..take copy on the cruise with you...just in case you need it. Didn't need ours...the credit appeared by Day 3.

Now Question: When we originally submitted the paper work, we had 4 cruises coming up...we received e-mail confirmation for each. We have since booked 2 more for Nov - Dec. 2007....do we have to submit all of the paper work again? Does anyone know? Norm...do you submit the paper work each time (I mean specifically the brokerage statement) or just the cruise info. and C & A info.?

Thanks....someone might save me a lot of faxing.

Marilyn

Our experience with the stock credit has been really positive. Ms. Buchanan at RCI is very helpful.

Yesl...you can hold the stock in an IRA. No problem.

I just black out everything except for the RCL listing on our latest brokerage statement...including the SS # and Acct. # and fax it with a covering letter.

Definitely ask for an e-mail confirmation..take copy on the cruise with you...just in case you need it. Didn't need ours...the credit appeared by Day 3.

Now Question: When we originally submitted the paper work, we had 4 cruises coming up...we received e-mail confirmation for each. We have since booked 2 more for Nov - Dec. 2007....do we have to submit all of the paper work again? Does anyone know? Norm...do you submit the paper work each time (I mean specifically the brokerage statement) or just the cruise info. and C & A info.?

Thanks....someone might save me a lot of faxing.

Marilyn

You can include both of your future cruises when you submit your paperwork. YES you must send proof of ownership every time you request the benefit. They don't keep your records on file.

We transferred an onboard booking from X to RCI last year and the shareholder benefit went with it! That was a surprise. However, we just did that again last week, and this time I had to resubmit the shareholder benefit. BTW, I submitted my blacked out statement yesterday (Wed) as a pdf atch to an email and had a confirmation this afternoon. They're normally quite prompt. This is such a nice benefit. . .the more you sail, the better the "dividend" to you!:D

Wow a lot of responses & that is good.

We plan to go on a Alaska cruise June 2008 & most likely will cruise on Celebrity from Vancouver to Seward .We will book 2 cabins ;as we are rewarding our adult daughter to a free cruise,for achiving her masters degree .She will bring a girl friend .

We will put my name on one cabin & my wifes onthe 2nd cabin booking.It will be booked on a cruise to Hawaii this fall. Thus ,we will get the $100 per cabin SBC & as share holders we will get another $100 each cabin.Totaling $400 for the 1 week cruise.

It pays to be a SH with RCL .:D

Additionally,we are Diamond on RCL & Elite on Celebrity.Hard to beat their perks.:)

I submitted my stock purchase transaction and information and got this e-mail back:

[FONT=Arial]This is to confirm your shareholder onboard credit has been added to your reservation #XXXXXXX on the Summit sailing 3/31/07. If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you and have a great day![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Sincerely,
Linda Buchanan
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Guest Sales & Service Administration[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]My question now is, I was trying to find this credit on the Celebrity website and cannot find and indication that it has been credited, does it only happen after we are on the cruise? How will I know it has been added for sure?[/FONT]

[quote name='sexyaznboy']I submitted my stock purchase transaction and information and got this e-mail back:

[FONT=Arial]This is to confirm your shareholder onboard credit has been added to your reservation #XXXXXXX on the Summit sailing 3/31/07. If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you and have a great day![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Linda Buchanan[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Guest Sales & Service Administration[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]My question now is, I was trying to find this credit on the Celebrity website and cannot find and indication that it has been credited, does it only happen after we are on the cruise? How will I know it has been added for sure?[/FONT][/quote]

Yes, this is exactly the way they do it. It will not show up on the website, but will appear on your onboard account. Take a copy of Ms. Buchanan's letter with you in case you need it.

No problem....have fun and enjoy!

[quote name='sexyaznboy']
[FONT=Arial]My question now is, I was trying to find this credit on the Celebrity website and cannot find and indication that it has been credited, does it only happen after we are on the cruise? How will I know it has been added for sure?[/FONT][/quote]
Check your account on the interactive TV. The credits will start to be posted on day 2. If it's not there by day 3 go to Guest Relations and they will check your records. It will be in their records, but it has to be entered into your ship board account on the ship.

sexyaznboy,

[quote name='"You"']Hey guys (esp Norm) about to put in my paperwork for the stock shipboard credit. I don't think I can put my statement into JPG format though (it is in Adobe), do you know how to convert this? I am also wondering whether the transaction statement is sufficient for the RCL stock or do they need the monthly statement to document that I own the stock at the end of this month? Theoretically I could have bought and sold the stock before my cruise (but that would be silly!). I am a bit worried about confidentiality, and sending my monthly statement with all my other holdings I'm not that comfortable with. I suppose I could black out the other stocks??? I will ask for a confirmation, hopefully they will give me one before my cruise on March 31st but I'm not all that hopeful given what I've heard on the board.[/QUOTE]

The easiest way is to print it out and mail it. You do still have plenty of time if your cruise begins on 31 March.

Norm.

Archived