Which Massage???

karen sharpe

Have rarely had a massage but I've decided it's time to regularly treat myself to a massage and facial.. I have booked an hour long Swedish massage and facial at a local Spa. I never realized how many different types there are...Hot stones, Thai, Rekki etc.,etc.... Can anyone enlighten me re. which massage they have had and which might be the best ? What I am focused on is a massage that provides relaxation and promotes flexibility in my muscles and joints.:o

I think the most important one to get is one by a Registered Massage therapist:D , (not being a smart ass here), then build a relationship, by going routinely. They will get to know where your body needs it . If they are any good, they will instinctively hit the right target spots and get the knots out of the way first, then the relaxation part begins!

Some therapists are well versed in a few disciplines, so they will incorporate techniques into your personal massage. OF course this is all JMHO

I agree, I think the ideal situation is to have one therapist that knows you well. As far as the kind of massage I prefer, I would have to say the hot stone massages. I'm not terribly new age, so I don't put a whole lot of stock into the idea of the stones absorbing the river's energy . . . but the fact is that they do retain heat, and keep your muscles warmed while the masseuse is working on other areas.

Besides, it just feels GREAT. :D

I'd talk to your massage therapist and find what is right for you. I go every other week and sometimes once a week. It is the only thing that keeps me walking - it does wonderfuls for the body and the mind. Have a wonderful relaxing time. Remember to drink lots of water after and take a nice bath with epsom salts (helps the muscles). Enjoy!

I can echo the above. Regular massage by a liscensed therapist is wonderful. I have a regular appointment once a month (and fit in another one when under a lot of stress) and it helps tremendously.

That being said, you don't know the practitioners on board. I always get the hot stone massage. it is more expensive that the regular massage and lasts a little longer. The warm stones relax your muscles like nothing else! Although a massage regular, I FALL ASLEEP during a hot stone treatment!

Also, as stated above, drink lots of water after and don't schedule the massage for just after a meal.

Have a great time whatever you choose.

Thanks all for the valuable advice!! I've literally just pulled this name from the Yellow Pages.The masseuse is an R.T. M. with a reputable spa in the area. I was torn between the spa setting or a Chiropractic clinic. Friends referrals were in the downtown area and I decided I would like to book close to home and eliminate the stress of driving.

I've always considered a massage as a frill but the more I talk to people in my age group the more aware I am that it is quite therapeutic.

I've booked a Swedish massage but the Hot Rocks sounds glorious:)

Thanks for the water advice I remember reading on another thread re. a post massage migraine.:eek:

I LOVE getting massages but the best part is my best friend owns her own massage salon. I love the deep muscle massage as my muscles are always tight but it does take a while to get used to it as I was a little sore but Awwwwww does it relive the tension !!! I agree the hot stone massage is wonderful too. I love the feeling after a massage your body is like jelly sooo relaxed and rejuvinated !!! I just wish she would do it everyday for me :eek: !!!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

if i booked a sports deep tissue massage, can I change it?? I don't want to get caught cancelling and not being able to book a swedish massage in its' place....(all the massages are booked on sea day already) are the therapists school in all types or do they specilize? Can I ask the therapist to "take it easy":rolleyes: if I'm stuck with the deep tissue?

Has anyone had a deep tissue massage? Onboard??

Good job Karen, I wish I had asked for advice before having my first massage. I had my first one, on a whim, at a reputable spa at an inn while I was attending a conference. It was almost my last. I am not a physically active person, and I felt as though I had been hit by a truck for two days afterward, my muscles ached so much! I didn't know enough to ask the therapist to 'go easy' when it hurt; I though it was supposed to.

A couple of years later, I developed tendonitis in a shoulder and massage therapy was recommended. That was when I learned that massages should leave one feeling refreshed, not in pain. :rolleyes:

Since that time, I do treat myself to a massage every few months. I wish I could afford it once a month, but that would be an extravagance I couldn't justify to myself. While I was on my cruise in January, I splurged on a hot stone massage. OMG, it was heavenly! I had another one last week as a birthday treat for myself. I may never be able to go back to a 'regular' Swedish massage again. I love the way the heat from the stones goes right through to the bone :D What a treat in these cold Ontario winters!

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful experience!

Bonnie

Actually Bonnie I went for a Swedish massage last week and it was wonderful. The masseuse asked me how deep a massage I wanted and I explained I had not had one for a few years... so she modified it a bit..I have to admit I was a bit sore in the shoulder area for a few days but it was a "good sore"..i.e. it felt much looser. The best part though was the next day I had Reflexology done.... I thought I had died and gone to heaven..the therapist worked for an hour on my feet...wish I had done this routinely years ago. I have finely retired and have decide to pamper Karen for a change. I'm going to have another massage(Swedish again) and reflexology next week and I think I will make it a regular occurence after all what is it they say...You can't take it with you...you know when!!:eek:

Archived