Anyone Been to Tortola

dianfarmer

Hey I went to Tortola on the Legend last year too. Frankly, we did not like it. First of all it was an island holiday, so almsot everything was closed. Then when you get off there is a huge open field, something like a "flea market"(what one passenger described it as). and the Legend leaves so early, so you don't get to see much of it. Carnival should substitute this port

I was on Tortolla - not from a cruise. Our favorite thing was when we rented a car and drove around - found some great beaches to relax at. I'd suggest - get out of town. There are some beautiful parts to the island and it doesn't take long to drive from one side to another.

Is the Virgin Gorda better? Why?

THe Bathes.

Also, it is much less noisy that Tortola. WHile the Baths get crowded, there are so few people on the island that it is just a nice break. I have some picts of the BAthes in my sig file under webshots/kkorman

When we (2 couples) stopped at Tortola for a shore tour, we hired a cab driver for the day to give a guided tour of the island. We had done some preliminary research and decided we wanted to go to Smugglers Cove. The cab driver (Tojo) agreed that it was such a good choice, he stopped by his home and got HIS swimming gear. Smugglers Cove has a wonderful beach and very calm waters. We pretty well had it all to ourselves. Afterward he took us to a restaurant located on the very highest point of the island at which we enjoyed the local quisine and the views of the surrounding islands. To us it was a very enjoyable way of seeing the stuff that cruising has made possible.

The Tortola stop is my family's favorite (ages 17-45). This is due to our excursion to Virgin Gorda. It is the BEST!! We have been on 12 cruises and all of us agree that "The Baths" should not be missed! Great bolders out in the water (good hiking experiences).....beautiful water, and excellent snorkling.

This is not a place for shopping (except local items).....just a beautiful place in our world!

Never been to Tortola on a cruise, but had a relative with a house there for a few years so we've been 3 times!!

I would say do the baths if you want to be on the go while you're there. At the baths you can just relax or you can walk through the baths, over rocks, through the smaller holes, wading through water at points. The restaurant at the top of the baths is nice too, because they have a fresh water pool that patrons can use. It is very refreshing after being in the salt water. The baths are very beautiful too.

If you would prefer to just relax on a beach and do a little snorkeling, I would go to Smugglers. Smugglers is our favorite beach on Tortola because it is not commercialized. Everytime we went there were not very many people there. Very nice for a relaxing, peaceful afternoon. There is a little hut there with a car inside that was used in the filming of one of the Old Man and the Sea movies. Then inside, there is a refridgerator with cokes, beer, water, and some snack food. You pay for it using the honor system by sticking your money in a basket and holding it down with a rock!! There are also a few newspaper articles about the island and some info about Queen Elizabeth IIs visit.

If you want the same as Smugglers with a more commercialized feel, go to Cane Garden Bay at Tortola. They have a few restaraunts there among other things. I don't remember Cane Garden as much because we only went there once. I don't think that snorkeling is as good there as it is at Smugglers. I do remember seeing a sting ray though!

Once we went out on a catamaran with a company called Patouche Charters. This is very good if you like snorkeling. They took us out to various spots in the ocean where we jumped off the boat and snorkeled for a while. If you don't feel comfortable about your swimming, they have a floatation device you can use while snorkeling. It is one of my favorite memories from visiting Tortola.

Here is their website:

http://patouche.com/

You also get lunch while on board and drinks.

We went in April 2003 and had a good time there. We went on a tour of the island first. It was fun and full of information, then back to the ship ate a quick lunch then took a cab to a beach for the reast of the afternoon. Had a great time.

dianfarmer.... If you enjoy the water activities, you will just love Tortola!

We've been lucky enough to have been there both on cruise ship stops as well as on land trips. It's a beautiful place!

Do consider going to The Baths of Virgin Gorda since it's your first time there! (Your ship will offer a tour or you can take the ferry OnYourOwn.)

Here's a website with a WONDERFUL MAP and :D maybe more info on The Baths than you'd ever want to know :D :

Baths of Virgin Gorda MAP/INFO

This map has always been a BIG help to us! Hope it will be a help to you all as well!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived