2 shore excursions in Belize? Also Valor v. Miracle

SmudgeCat

All-

I am looking at booking a cruise on the Carnival Miracle for the 8-day Exotic Carribean departing Dec. 1 (Colon, Limon, and Belize City). I am torn because I want to see the Mayan ruins *and* go snorkeling, and Belize City is the only stop to do both of those things. Is it physically possible to do both of those excursions in the time we have in port (7am-4pm, minus time to get on and off the ship). Should I book one with Carnival and one with an outside company, or try an outside company all around (or Carnival for both to ensure I get on and off the ship)?:rolleyes:

We thought about the 7-day Exotic Western that hits Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, and Isla Roatan to fix the above issue, but my honey says he wants the 4 days at sea- any good reason to cruise on the Carnival Valor instead of the 8-day on the Miracle?

Thanks so much for your help!

it takes about 5 or six hours to go to al tun ha, think thats how its spelled:o. We had a good tour guide on the trip it was fun the ruins are not that big as most are still in the woods but still its an OK trip. If you go to Costa I think they have a much better ruins there then Belize or tulum from what i have heard.

When we were in Belize (on the Miracle) I talked with some folks who did the "ruins" tour (independently) and while they loved the "information" ...they were disappointed in what was actually available for "viewing".

Any excursion that is time intensive (requiring long drives from the port), I would recommend using a ship excursion. As long as the excursion is close to the port, there are several recommended independents on the PORTS board ~ Belize.

we did the ship tour in belieze, for snorkling and they picked us up right from the ship.

was very nice even for the kids, the guides kept us moving over the reef (yes it looked like we were in the middle of the ocean except for a tiny island) guides found sea tutrles and brought it up for us to see then released it...then you had the option to get back on the boat and head to a small island that remided me of gilligans island or continue to snorkle to the island....we had a very good time.

been on both miracle and valor (didnt seem to get as lost on miracle as valor)

The Miracle is a great ship! When we sailed on her, our itinerary included both Belize and Costa Maya (like your Valor itinerary would). We did Mayan ruins in Costa Maya with David & Ivan ~ Chacchoben Ruins. Small ruins site, but very interesting, and David & Ivan are native Mayans who grew up on the site.

If you want to do both snorkeling and ruins, I don't think you would have time for both in one port. Ruins tours usually take some time because you have to drive to the ruins location. Since you aren't in Belize that long, I question whether it would be possible to squeeze in 2 tours. If you are going to try it, I would definitely make at least the 2nd tour of the day a Carnival-sponsored tour, so you won't have to worry about missing the ship.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise! :)

SC, I think you would be hard-pressed to squeeze both excursions in during that limited time. Altun Ha is 35 miles north of Belize City but I think there are better ruins to be seen from the port at Costa Maya.

Although the snokeling is great in Belize, I think it is even better in the Caymen Islands, IMHO.

Thank you all so much for your replies! They help tremendously- although now I want to go on the Valor cruise so that I have the opportunity to do both ruins and snorkeling... so more thinking ahead!

I guess I should be thrilled that I'm having a touch decision between two cruises- just means whichever I don't do this winter I'll have to do later on! :D

Did the Xunatunich Maya Ruins in Belize. It is a all day trip so you would not be able to get your snorkeling in however if you do pick this excursion you will not be disappointed. There is a thread on Xunatunich if you want more info.

Archived