Hubbard or Glacier???

gmcyd

Hey cruisers!

Okay people, help me out. I have never been to Alaska so I am needing some input from those who have gone. I will probably only go once, so which should I see, Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? Both sound great, but since no cruise line goes to both in one trip, I gotta choose one or the other. :confused:

Will either provide better chance for seeing wildlife, etc.:cool:

Maybe someone has been to both and can help me decide. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

gmcyd:)

here's one discussions from last week:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=494308&highlight=hubbard+glacier

if you do a seach you can find more on this subject.

i have only done glacier bay..it's beautiful. you cruise through the bay, takes several hours. you go by several smaller glaciers with stops at the larger ones.

hubbard is very different. one problem is that hubbard has more calving and the ice can block the cruise ships from getting close. no way to tell when this will happen.

great reviews on both glacier tours, just very different.

Hey cruisers!

Okay people, help me out. I have never been to Alaska so I am needing some input from those who have gone. I will probably only go once, so which should I see, Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? Both sound great, but since no cruise line goes to both in one trip, I gotta choose one or the other. :confused:

Will either provide better chance for seeing wildlife, etc.:cool:

Maybe someone has been to both and can help me decide. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

gmcyd:)

Hi gmcyd,

I have been to Glacier Bay several times and almost to Hubbard Glacier.

I say almost, because last year on the Celebrity Summit we turned away about seven to eight miles away from the glacier.

I can't speak for all lines but most Princess and HAL ships spend one day at Glacier Bay and one day cruising College Fjord. If you are considering Celebrity Summit or Infinity to Alaska you should make yourself aware of the possible propulsion problems. You should also decide if you want to take a round trip cruise or take a one way cruise from Vancouver to Alaska. The itineraries can be quite a bit different. Hope this helps.

I am going back to Alaska this May and will be sailing on Princess.

I have sailed all the glaciers areas of the cruise ships and my preference will always be Glacier Bay. But they all will offer a great scenic sailing day. :)

IF you want wildlife, take tours, you will experience nothing like the enhanced brochures. I am out most of the sailing time, extremely FEW people are, I do have great sightings. But several advantages I have -knowing the areas, being well prepared in my attire, patient, and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. :)

Archived