Golden Princess or HAL Oosterdam?

jrtmouse

We will be a group of about 20, ages ranging from 9 to 50. We'll be going for a 50th birthday celebration. About half of our party will be first time cruisers. At 28, I've sailed Princess, Carnival and RCCL. January is really the only time convenient for all to go. Unfortunately, ship options are painfully limited on the west coast.

We enjoy the finer things in life (i.e. good food and quality service). I've heard excellent things about HAL and would very much appreciate the service and food as would the majority of our party. My concern is regarding activities throughout the day and nightlife. I understand there is a kids program on HAL. How about the disco for college aged kids? Will the ship be dead at midnight? The Star Princess wasn't exactly hopping at midnight so I can only imagine what HAL would be like at that time. I guess that would be fine. Let's face it, I'm rarely able to keep my eyeballs open past 11:00 any more.

I just want to make sure that everyone is having a good time and they aren't completely bored. On my recent Carnival cruise, they had activities galore: Pictionary, Scattegories, Survivor, trivia, Name that tune, etc. (That was the only thing it had going for it, IMO, but nevertheless...) Has anyone sailed the Golden Princess or HAL Oosterdam? And were there enough activities throughout the day to keep you satisfied? Another thing is the availability of food at midnight. Do both ships offer something, even if it's just the buffet, 24 hours a day?

And yes, I'm sure we'll have a great time amongst ourselves regardless of what ship, but ya'll are feeling me on this, right?

Questions? Comments? Thanks!

We enjoy the finer things in life (i.e. good food and quality service). I've heard excellent things about HAL and would very much appreciate the service and food as would the majority of our party. My concern is regarding activities throughout the day and nightlife. I understand there is a kids program on HAL. How about the disco for college aged kids? Will the ship be dead at midnight? The Star Princess wasn't exactly hopping at midnight so I can only imagine what HAL would be like at that time. I guess that would be fine. Let's face it, I'm rarely able to keep my eyeballs open past 11:00 any more.

I just want to make sure that everyone is having a good time and they aren't completely bored. On my recent Carnival cruise, they had activities galore: Pictionary, Scattegories, Survivor, trivia, Name that tune, etc. (That was the only thing it had going for it, IMO, but nevertheless...) Has anyone sailed the Golden Princess or HAL Oosterdam? And were there enough activities throughout the day to keep you satisfied? Another thing is the availability of food at midnight. Do both ships offer something, even if it's just the buffet, 24 hours a day?

...Thanks!

We have been on Grand Princess and Zuiderdam, twin sisters of your two choices. They are both great ships. Here is my take on the comparison:

Food: HAL is perhaps a bit more European in the dining room, but they are pretty comparable -- both are great. The buffet on Princess is very small for a ship that size, and selection is limited but sufficient. It is totally open 24 hours. The buffet on HAL is absolutely stunning, many stations making all sorts of choices from deli to sushi. It is open long hours, but not 24 hours.

Activities: Princess seems to be a bit "busier" -- especially in trivia games, which we love. HAL seems a bit more laid back.

Entertainment late night -- not HAL's strong point! Princess is more lively, definitely. HAL has some great music but aimed a little more toward the Sinatra crowd.

Both of them are great ships. While we love HAL and find the VISTA class ships stunning, perhaps the Grand class on Princess is the direction you should lean.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We will be a group of about 20, ages ranging from 9 to 50. We'll be going for a 50th birthday celebration. About half of our party will be first time cruisers. At 28, I've sailed Princess, Carnival and RCCL. January is really the only time convenient for all to go. Unfortunately, ship options are painfully limited on the west coast.

And yes, I'm sure we'll have a great time amongst ourselves regardless of what ship, but ya'll are feeling me on this, right?

Questions? Comments? Thanks!

Please, we want no kids on the HAL, AVERAGE 80+, TAKE PRINCESS !!PLEASE!!

We sailed on Westerdam in January and while it had many assets (best staff service and food we have had at sea), the activities were not very "busy" as Mike says above. There were times that we were missing rhe busier activity schedule of other ships we have been on. Our HAL cruise dailies are in my signature if you would liek to get an idea of the activity level at night. Only you can know what will fulfill your needs for diversion but my feeling is that if activities are your focus, you might try Princess or RCL.

Archived