Legal Question

lostdart58

The BEST Alaskan cruises (IMO) are:

1. The 7-night Northbound (Vancouver to Seward/Whittier) or Southbound (reverse direction).

2. CruiseTours which combine a cruise and a land vacation (you can't see Denali Nat'l. Park from a cruise ship!) These usually range in duration from about 10-14 days.

see, there is no way that I can do a 10-14 day vacation. Just not possible until I retire someday. Is it possible to rush alaska in a 7 day vacation? or is this something I should put aside and wait.

Thanks for all your information- like i said= its for 2006. (ships aint even out for that period yet. Just researching so I can make the best choice.

what month? Birthday is August--at the end. was thinking of doing it the week before labor day.

I called the Princess cruise line and explained the situation.......They told me that US immigration was the one to whom i would have to talk and gave me a number to call.......but the number is not good on weekends.....I believe the number given is for the US immigration office in San juan which is where we are leaving from...........

lostdart58...I hate to say it, but GOOD LUCK even getting through to a US Immigration office! Usually, you get about a kazillion automatic voice prompts. Your situation might be expecially difficult since you are leaving from San Juan. Even though it's a US territory, it's not a US state, which can make flying into San Juan from the US more difficult without the notarized permission letter/letter from a judge. Same thing flying into any of the US Virgin Islands. It's not the same as flying within the 50 states. The US Dept. of Immigration is the agency who requires this form, and not the cruise line specifically, although they are bound by the US Imm. laws. Princess is particularly strict about adherence. If I were you, I'd sure look into getting a judge's order.

serene56 - the most expensive times to cruise Alaska are June, July, and August. The prices start to drop at the end of August. The cheapest times are May and September, because the weather can be transitional and "iffy". Check out Alaska cruise prices for 2005 at the times you're considering, and then add about 10% for 2006. That will give you a pretty good "ball park" idea of prices. Also...airfare can be pretty high for those one-way cruises, and it's often cheaper to book your air through the cruise line.

Imsulin,

Well get this.......as it turns out we LIVE in the US Virgin islands....we will be flying to San juan from St Thomas to board the ship. The child in question's passport is already filed with stamps from various Caribbean nations. No questions were ever asked.

I think on Monday i will visit the local immigration office in St thomas and hopefully get some info from them.....it's a small island, i probably know someone who works in the office.

Thanks for the imput...

lostdart...that makes a big difference, and might make things easier for you!! (How did you get lucky enough to live in the USVI??). Anyway, it looks like the problem won't be in flying to San Juan (good old American Eag;e!), but in actually boarding the ship. Let us know how your visit to the Imm. office in St. Thomas goes, OK? Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife works as a Princess helper at the pier in San Francisco. Getting Passengers off and on The Regal is usually straightforward except for a single mom traveling with her child, on the last cruise. They were denied boarding and last seen hurrying to a court to try to get the necessary papers. We do not know how that came out!

just returned from inland alaskan cruise on RCCL serenade of the sea (which was fabulous throughout) and my sister, who is going through a divorce, had the birth certificate of her daughter (11 years old). she was asked about a letter each time we passed through customs (from canada to usa) but only detained a few minutes w/extra questions. it was really no big deal.

Your sister was lucky. RCCL apparently is a bit lax about their proper documentation. It has happened where people were denied boarding because of no letter, perhaps not all the time, but it can happen to you. I would rather be safe and have the paperwork than being told I cannot board that beautiful cruise ship I have waited so long for.

Archived