Why Do Passports Expire

StuartLittle

Here's a question I haven't seen asked before.

Why do they expire in 10 years (or 5 if you're a child)? It's not like you're no longer a citizen. Granted, your appearance will change in that time frame, but why not simply have us send in the old passport with a new photo? They could quickly "check us out", and reissue with a new photo. Shouldn't cost more than $10 to pull that off every 10 years.

Consider yourself lucky to be able to get them for 10 yrs, in Canada, they are issued for 5 yrs, but are really only good for 4.5 yrs as they must be valid for a min of 6 months after your return.

I would love for the passports to be at least good for as long as they are supposed to be, we pay for 5 but dont get 5 yrs of use. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Consider yourself lucky to be able to get them for 10 yrs, in Canada, they are issued for 5 yrs, but are really only good for 4.5 yrs as they must be valid for a min of 6 months after your return.

I would love for the passports to be at least good for as long as they are supposed to be, we pay for 5 but dont get 5 yrs of use. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah I know what you mean, I wish they'd hurry up and allow our passports to be renewed instead of having to get a whole new passport. I have a British passport at the moment which is good for 10 years. The rest of the family just got their Canadian passports(I've had my BP for 4 years already) And theirs will expire before mine does. Go figure!

Archived