Luggage Handling Alaska Cruisetours

JMB

I know this has been asked before, so please forgive my ignorance. On a southbound Alaska cruisetour, does all of ones luggage make the stops with the traveler on the land portion of the tour each night and is thus accessible, or is part of the luggage handled separately between Fairbanks and the ship?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

JMB

Oh, how we envy you!! All of your luggage can go with you to every stop if you wish. However, after meeting our Tour Guide Jennifer (the very best!) at the hotel in Fairbanks last year, she gave us color-coded tags for our bags. One color would be at each and every stop; the other color would just stay on the bus -- I think she said we could retrieve it if necessary. We spent a lot of time repacking the first night (there were a lot of other neat things to do). That way, we had only one case throughout our land portion delivered to our hotel room at each stop. Much easier to keep track of stuff. And everything magically appeared at our cabin on the Summit. You may want to consider packing this way before leaving for Alaska.

The cruisetour was one of the very best vacation experiences we have ever had. Celebrity really has a great product. Bon voyage!

Dave & Cat

• 1 month later...

We are considering a Celebrity Alaska Cruisetour for June or July, 2005. Prefer one that has the tour first, then a southbound cruise (? Summit). Sure would like some info from people who have taken these, both pro and con info. Also considering RCCL tours, but I like the idea of the train ride which Celebrity includes.

Just off one this summer. Took 5 day that started in Anchorage and ended in Fairbanks. Flown back to Anchorage for a bus trip to the Summit and a southbound cruise. Great trip and in my opinion much better to have land first and chill out on the cruise. No difference between RCCL and Celebrity on the land tour. It's the same company. Does Celebrity one week and RCCL the next with the exact same itinerary. That means you will take a train on either. The train is very nice also. I am not sure about the land accomodations (whether they are the same) which on my tour were the best available but not anything more than mediocre. Which line is better? Have been on both and much prefer Celebrity but that is a matter of personal preference.

Offdawall Dh and I went to Alaska this past June.It was the most fantastic trip both of us had ever taken.We were on Cruisetour 12 Anchorage to Faibanks.Very hectic but oh so memorable.The weather for us was great,warm sunny long days.We were there on Summer Solctice.The motorcoach ,train,and plane were all fantastic.The Summit was great.Don't miss Icy Straits.Loved the entire experience,only one complaint The shopping guide on ship told everyone not to go to Icy Straits because there is no shopping.I will never go to any of those port talks again as long as I cruise.

Anyone done this particular tour that starts in Fairbanks? We have a group going next summer. I am a TA and was "sold" wholeheartedly on all of the Celebrity's "extras" for the land tour portion.I chose this line for both of my groups to Alaska for nexdt summer. Other is a 7 night RT from Seattle on the Mercury. From reading a recent post about the hassles with Vancouver, I'm glad i went with a Seattle departure for that one also. I had been to Alaska before on Princess several years ago(northbound), and then we did just several days on our own "touring " and feel we missed alot!

Anyone done this particular tour that starts in Fairbanks? ...

We did the longest cruisetour Celebrity offers, starting with 2 nights in Fairbanks...and what drew us to it was the chance to see as much as possible...and all of the included excursions, etc.

You can read my in-depth review here:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/reviews/readreview.php?id=0000003407

Overall, we felt the tour portion was fairly complete...about everything we could ask for except meals...There was a pretty full schedule with the Pipeline, the El Dorado Gold Mine and the Riverboat to the Indian Village in Fairbanks, the 7 hour Wildelife Tour in Denali, the various stops and city tour in Anchorage, the gondola ride in Alyeska and more...There really was not a lot of "free time" which was okay with us...face it, we had no transportation other than the Celebrity train and bus...The hotels were all excellent with the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and the Alyeska Prince Resort both pretty much top of the heap...

I don't think you or your group would be disappointed...

It sounds as though we did a very similar if not the same cruisetour as Bruin Steve a year ago. It really was wonderful. It was all great. For us, highlights included the rail portion (RCI/X have very comfortable rolling stock) and our stay in Talkeetna. We had wonderful weather to take in Mt. McKinley right from the Talkeetna Lodge and did a wonderful flight with glacier landing.

But the luck of being with a bus load/train car of people who morphed into a cohesive group was amazing.

We were very impressed with the X product and would do it again. And again.

Sounds very promising - just what I expected/hoped for. Our tour will be the 12 night. We're not doing Alyeska though mainly to just cut out one night. I 've heard and seen pictures of how beautiful the resort is though. I agree it's better to have the cruise ate the end and your land portion first. Now if I can just convince some others that they aren't sailing Carnival to Alaska nor are the prices like Carnival! Unfortunately, most of my area is not that familiar with the Celebrity ships. Hope my group will "come on through"!

Thanks again for the wonderful review and comments.These boards are great!

We are booked for the Summit south bound next August 5th. Will be doing tour number 6 before the cruise. Really looking forward to it. How is the weather there in early August? Hopefully not too much rain but I know the weather in Alaska is very unpredictable.

Archived