Where to meet Friends on board?

I am planning to travel alone on a cruise, never did it before, usually travel with friends or parents. Wii I be bored alone? Any suggestion to meet friends? you know sometime it's hard to tell whether they are FOD or straight? Actually I don't mind to hang around with all different people (no matter is gay or not). Please advice.

What do you guys think about Crystal or Princess?

You'll see lots of posts in this forum about looking at the embarkation photos to find other gay people on board. Two men, a man alone, or a man with a "motherly" looking companion (carefull-you might be stepping on a gigilo's toes!;) )

And on every cruise I've been on, the "family," whether coupled or single, always make eye contact, if only to see if "you, too?" I usually try to then at least say hello, and have had many others come up to me later that day to chat.

Also, it seems that singles always sit at the bar, rather than at tables in any of the bar/lounges. I've ALWAYS had someone strike up a conversation if sitting alone at the bar(and not because I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread, but just that people are friendly!)

In terms of meeting people, definitely hang out where there's "camp" potential- things like "sing-along-Sound-of-Music" or karaoke- big clue, there's a guy on our upcoming cruise who'll be singing Helen Reddy's "I am woman" :D My partner and I met a great guy on the QE2 last year (and he was single-...if only you'd been there!), just because he was hanging out at the edge of one of these activities, smirking at the goings on- we're still in contact!

Watch very carefully for a FOD party in the daily newsletter- it's often a small box or just a small line entry in the day's activities. And some ships don't have one, but you can always ask the cruise director, as has been posted on many threads.

Crystal and Princess are both good choices, but offer different experiences at different price points. One of the best ways is to "meet" people ahead of time either by posting a thread in this forum, or on the Roll Call thread for your specific cruise- we've already come across 20 or 25 gay men on our sailing in Sept. on these boards.

Go, and have a great time. Cheers!

Archived