canopy excursion

lea

We are cruising the southern carribbean in March and are interested in the canopy tours. Three are offerred one in Dominica, one in St Lucia and one in Antigua. Any information you could give us would be appreciated. THanks.:D

My husband did the Canopy Challenge in Dominica - he is very athletic and in very good physical shape, but he said this was not fun. He had done one in Nov in Montego Bay and really enjoyed it. This was more like boot camp. Both his upper arms were badly bruised and his right arm is still hurting him. We were on the 2/2 sailing of the NCL Pearl. One woman in the group was so bruised up she couldn't leave her cabin for two days:( . This was more of a challenge course than zipline, which is what he did in Montego Bay. The description from NCL says 4years and up, he said there is no way a 4 year old could possible do this, he figures maybe an athletic 10 year old could possible do it. He did go and speak to the Excursion people, they said they would check into it and maybe revise their description. If it is zipline you want he would recommend trying one of the other islands.

Yes, it was. According to NCL's rating it was a level 2, funny part of it I went on the Dominica Favorites with friends and it was a level 2, we walked a couple of paths to a waterfall and the Emerald Pool:eek: . He loves challenging things but felt this was certainly not presented properly. As I stated before one woman did not leave her cabin for two days, we kept running into her husband, he said she couldn't move and her arms were black and blue from her elbow to her shoulder. My husband came back from the one in Montego Bay all excited, he really enjoyed that one.

Thank you so much for the information. I never expected anything like that but I am very glad to know it beforehand. The first time I did a zipline was on a Mission trip in Managua Nicargua and our whole church group did it from a young child to a 200 lb (not athletic man) we all had no trouble.

Thanks again for your insightful information. i am in my 50's and certainly do not want to be in my cabin for two days.

Glad to be able to warn someone - my husband wishes someone had warned him. He enjoyed the one in Montego Bay so much and was really excited about going on this and was he ever let down. My husband is 67 but has done physical work all his life so he is in good shape. He said a lot of younger people couldn't do some of the things. I really think NCL should put a better description in their shore excursion booklet, and at least warn people it's not just a zipline.

I did the canopy tour in September and while it was more physical than a zip line only tour, we had a wonderful time. My review is on this forum. Just an FYI we took a 5 year old with us. There is a seperate zipline only for the little kids that is in another part of the park and is only a few feet off the ground. The little ones are not allowed nor could they possibly do the adult part. Some of the obsticles require a long strech to reach. My daughter who was 12 did the adult course and had no problems but I think I remember them saying that you have to be 9 or 10 years old to do the adult course.

Wow - this is so different than my experience! I am a late-50's, inactive "chicken" and I had such a great time, I'd do it again in a minute!!

It was definitely a challenge, but one of those things that when you finish you can proudly say, "I can't believe it, but I DID it!" Parts of it were a bit difficult, and I did skip the Tarzan swing, which my husband [who is very active] thought was difficult. I have shoulder problems, so it wouldn't have been possible for me to do that. But, otherwise, I just loved it.

I'm having trouble picturing how one would get so bruised up as to be incapacitated, though I suppose if you didn't end the zip line parts feet-first with knees flexed, you could "crash" into the platform. Our guides were outstanding [we had the place to ourselves, so we each had our own guide] and helped me through the tough parts [e.g., my leg reach isn't real long, so he would push the logs back toward me a bit when necessary].

This was the highlight of the cruise for us!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband(30) and I(28) went on the zip line in October 2006 and had a GREAT time! The zips were fun, the suspension bridges challenging, and there was even a tarzan jump! - My husband did it, I just took a zip across instead - but now I wish I had done it! They first had us put on the safety harnesses and hard hats. Then our guide demonstrated the safety procedures for using the zip lines on a miniature line only 2 feet off the ground. You are double cabled and clipped so it is very safe! Even when you are not zipping, you are clipped onto a safety line while on the platforms. Our guides were great - there was one for me, and one for my hubby. They have a separate zip and guides for kids. Some of the challenge course was a bit of a stretch for me(I'm only 5' - 90 pounds!). The tarzan jump is awesome - hubby loved it - you are clipped to a rope, and swing into a vertical hangging net, you let go of the rope and grab the net (you are still secured to the rope). We did it before the cruise companies had contracted, it was $65 per person including transport. Hope this helps!

Archived