Hot Air Ballooning in Cairns-- TRYING AGAIN

Brookeh424

SORRY, my last post was all goofed up and ended up being blank. Here is my question/situation:

I am looking for some input on a hot air balloon trip in Cairns.

A little about us, we are on a trip from NZ through Australia via a cruise, but we are doing a few days before and after the cruise and we are spending like a day and a half in Cairns.

The day we fly in we are planning on taking the train and sky rail to/from Kuranda and then just realxing around town in the evening. (since we'll get in around 10 or 11, it is too late to do the GBR that day, so we figure we'll do Kuranda)

The decision we are trying to make concerns our second day. We came to Cairns to go to the GBR and so that is our main thing, but a friend told me the favorite thing he did on his trip to OZ and NZ was this hot air balloon trip. They offer a day where you do the hot air and then you can do the GBR. That is what I am leaning towards, but my hubby isn't convinced.

I am hoping to get some thoughts from you guys and if anyone has done the hot air ballooning even better.....

Here is a synopsis of the day if we hot air balloon and then do the GBR:

05.00 am Pick-up at hotel by a Hot Air Cairns coach for your special package tour, one hour transfer, pickup times confirmed on booking.

06.30 am Experience the fun & unique sensation of hot air ballooning in the Cairns Highlands (previously called the Atherton Tablelands). Enjoy the picturesque landscape at sunrise, enjoy 30 minutes flying time. Breathe in the wide-open spaces! We have Australias largest fleet of balloons and a fun and highly trained crew to maximise the fun of your morning.

08.00 am Return and Landing, balloon pack-up and lots of laughs.

08.30 am Come down to earth and enjoy breakfast at Tjapukai Cultural Park (cairns passengers), champagne, fresh juices, eggs & bacon, tropical fruits & a hot and cold buffet is all yours as you relax & look over the Skyrail valley.

Port Douglas passengers will take breakfast in Port Douglas before connecting to Quicksilver

10.00 am Transfer to the Wharf and board your high speed Catamaran, Complimentary Tea & Coffee available.

10.30 am Boat departs Trinity Wharf. Brief stop at Green Island on the way to Norman Reef part of the Great Barrier Reef (no time to leave the boat.)

12.30 pm Arrive at Pontoon, Snorkelling Equipment + Semi Submersible is included with this special package tour. Lunch is served from 1.00pm

03.00 pm Boat Departs Pontoon for cruise back to Cairns or Port Douglas

05.30 pm Arrive at Wharf, board Luxury Coach for transfers back to your hotel.

Any input would be appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Brooke, I can't comment upon the ballooning in Cairns, but as a retired balloon pilot, a word of advice would be to have an alternative activity planned in case the flight in a no go. I was a bit of a wuss and would never fly in anything over 5 knots, and while the commerical pilots are a bit more daring, there is still the possibility that you won't get airborne.

Ballooning, if you haven't done before, is an incredible experience and an excellent way to see the countryside, just be aware that you might not end up where the ride describes either. The winds often can be predictable, but sometimes they have a mind of their own - that was what made the sport so much fun.

Happy flight and soft landings,

Charlie

Sounds like an adventure-packed day! I'm a bit like you in trying to get the most in a short amount of time. What time of year are you going? We were in Cairns & Pt. Douglas this past January and ended up not having time for Kuranda (and we had 3-1/2 days, 4 nights). Our plane arrived at CNS around 11 a.m. as well, but I believe the Skyrail's last departure is early afternoon? Plus it's a 1.5-2 hour ride each way. From what I read and from what the people told me when we arrived in Cairns, the skyrail is most definitely preferable over the train. We did go to the Tjapukai by Night show on our own (had to take a taxi since, after we booked, they informed us their shuttle wouldn't come to our hotel in Yorkey's Knob). The show was good and the dinner was tastier than I had anticipated for a buffet.

We spent one entire day doing the Great Barrier Reef, one entire day taking a Daintree-Cape Tribulation tour. I, too, would have loved to tried the hot air balloon ride but there was no way we could have gotten up that early with all the other early a.m. times that we were encountering for all of our action-packed days. Plus it was 90 degrees and 90% humidity which is tiring; we were very lucky that it didn't rain during our stay. Locals told us when it rains in the summer there (i.e., Jan-March), it's torrential. You're totally at the mercy of the weather gods, so all you can do is just make your plans and pray for the best!

I'm guessing if you could spend more time in Cairns, you would. Your flight gets in mid-morning, which means it must leave SYD at 8 or 9 a.m., right, so you will have gotten up at 5 or 6 a.m.? Every Great Barrier Reef excursion I saw was all day and, per the schedule you outline, you'll only have about an hour to snorkel there? But obviously someone has put together the package for those who are short on time. I'm assuming if you could spend more days in Cairns, you would. My point is, you're trying to do a whole lot in what would normally take 3 days. You're barely going to get to one place, then you have to move onto the next. If you're young and up for it (and really can only stay for a day-and-a-half), okay, give it a go! Hopefully when you get home you'll have time to recover . . .

Let's see are in Cairns April 19th (afternoon) all day April 20th and departing early am on the 21st. Quick trip to Cairns (but better than nothing).

Spikesgirl--thanks for the ballooning tips.

ErinH1---Let's see the time in Cairns is all we have. We are tacking it on after a cruise. We know our time is super mimited and we are going to be rushed, but that is how it goes---sometimes it happens.

My research gave me the times of the sky rail and the train and my plan seemed doable. Granted not giving a ton of time in Kuranda, but a lot of the enjoyment was going to be in the getting there.

Our decision on the ballooning is basically either do an all day GBR trip or do the abbreviated trip with the ballooning. My thing with the reef is, I am sure you can spend an innumerable amount of time there, but in one afternoon how long will we really snorkle? If we are there 2 hours, I can see that, but if we are out there 4 or 5 will that be time better spent splitting the time with just the baloon trip.

I am hoping to find someone who has done it for their reflections. My husband is leaning towards just doing the GBR and that may be just what we end up doing. We really traveled to Cairns just for that, but if I could get some more input it is useful in deciding.

Hi Brooke,

I have done the hot air ballooning combined with white water rafting when I stayed at Palm Cove a couple of years ago. It was a good fun day. What you are proposing sounds exhausting - but if you feel up to it - go for it!!

Everytime I visit somewhere new, I remind myself that I cannot see absolutely everything.

The down side to the hot air ballooning is that you spend a lot of time in the bus getting to your destination (winding roads very early in the morning with an empty stomach:eek: ). There is a lot of standing around and waiting as well. We were crammed on with mainly Japanese tourists and to be honest I think a day trip to the reef would be far more exciting & more interesting. Ive visited the reef numerous times and I love it. You can do hot air ballooning anywhere.

Whatever you decide to do - have fun and enjoy!

Jane;)

I haven't done hot air ballooning in Cairns but have done it down here in the Yarra Valley.

We had to have 3 tries at before we ended up taking off. That was 3 different days, getting up at 5am, being driven around looking for the right place to take off, seeing if the wind wasn't too strong etc. If you cannot take off, you have already lost hours out of your morning.

When you do have the correct conditions, you then have to help with the balloon especially after you have landed as you have to help fold it up etc. It is jolly hard work and not all landings are smooth. Ours was quite bumpy, we skidded along for awhile and we ended up landing in a cow paddock!!

If everything goes to plan, it is a wonderful tour especially as you are doing two fabulous excursions. Of course the time of year is a major factor and I don't think I read when you are going to be in Cairns.

If you are up there from May to October, then you would have a great chance of doing both, but if it is any earlier in the year, it would be touch and go. They are having a very wet season up there this year and you need sunshine to be able to see the beautiful coral and no wind to be able to do the Hot Air Ballooning.

Jennie

Aussie Gal - you made me laugh when you talked about the landing and the packing up. Believe it or not, my DH (also a pilot) and I prefer the ground crew work to the actual flying, so these days, we just crew and fly on standby in case of an emergency.

I once landed and the balloon tipped (high winds). I ended up in a sheep paddock and gues what my face was resting on. Made for a great photo op for the husband!

Cheers! (and thanks again for the chuckle)

Charlie

Archived