People are not as sociable on Cruise Ships as they used to be

conversationist

I have yet to take my 1st cruise but I dont think that this would be any different than how we here approach our vactions at the resorts we visit... we tend to make the effort to be ourselves and not so shy while there and we do talk to other just to meet new friends, we decided on the larger table option just for this purpose and oppurtunity of meeting new people.. I can only speak for us but I can assure you if you are our cruise you will some how some way meet us cause we try to make sure that all around is having a great time as well :D

With that attitude you will have a wonderful cruise! :o

I certainly beleive the size of the ship makes a difference as well as the length of the cruise. We have found the best way to meet cruisers and enjoy building friendships is through Meet and Greet get togethers the first night. NMNita

Hello again Nita, I agree with you that this would be the best option now with the size of some of these ships, in my case where i have been booked since Jan. for my April cruise I ahve yet to get on person to indicate that they are interested in a meet & greet, evey cruise before and after my date have numerous particpants but ours :( I hope there will be people on my cruise to meet beeing how our cruise rates been droping like Mens pants duing a show at Quest :D (I never been but this is what I heard)

Yes it is still possible to meet nice people on a cruise and there is a number of places to meet them. That is not my point. I maintain that the cruiseline experience is not as friendly as the "good old days of cruising" in the 1980s and 1990s. It requires alot more effort to meet nice people and more folks will look at me like I am crazy if I attempt to make pleasant small talk.

(The same could be said for my neighborhood, the annual block parties have been cancelled and people do not even bother to wave anymore.)

Hello again Nita, I agree with you that this would be the best option now with the size of some of these ships, in my case where i have been booked since Jan. for my April cruise I ahve yet to get on person to indicate that they are interested in a meet & greet, evey cruise before and after my date have numerous particpants but ours :( I hope there will be people on my cruise to meet beeing how our cruise rates been droping like Mens pants duing a show at Quest :D (I never been but this is what I heard)

We had the same experience on our last cruise: the one prior to ours and the one after had 100s of responses; ours almost none. The Meet and Greet party was a bust. At least a few showed up, we did a tour with a couple of them and had a good time. It was a strange cruise though. Maybe it was just HAL or maybe the itinerary, whatever, it attracted a little different group than most cruises. NMNita

Yes it is still possible to meet nice people on a cruise and there is a number of places to meet them. That is not my point. I maintain that the cruiseline experience is not as friendly as the "good old days of cruising" in the 1980s and 1990s. It requires alot more effort to meet nice people and more folks will look at me like I am crazy if I attempt to make pleasant small talk.

(The same could be said for my neighborhood, the annual block parties have been cancelled and people do not even bother to wave anymore.)

I think most of us agree with you. Could it be, we live in a world that is just moving too fast? Is it because everyone is working today, no one stays at home with the kids anymore and we don't know how to be good neighbors? I don't know, yes things have changed. NMNnita

People are not as social in the neighbourhood either.

It is just a sign of the times. People are wary of others and do not want to interact with people they do not know.

We found on the smaller ships people do interact more than on the mega ships.

We just start up a conversation if people don't want to chat then move on to another person.

I certainly agree. I have lived in my neighborhood (small cul-de-sac) for over 5 years and I only know a handful of my neighbors by name.

We have found the same to be true on cruises, some people are very open and others are in their own little groups. We found our English tablemates at breakfast the most interesting and friendly. We seemed to attract talkative, fun people who are much like us. Dinner, however, was a bit strained. It just depends.

Archived