Lotus spa confusion on the Grand!

karen sharpe

I am a fan of Princess but am a little worried. We are on the Grand this June for the European Explorer cruise. We can not book any shore excursions until 120 days prior to the cruise ..I understand this but we are permitted to reserve spa times online now...I tried today to book, online, a facial followed by a massage ..It took the massage booking but refused the facial booking...so I phoned the 1-800 number as advised and spoke with three very confused personnel... foll each question I was put on hold so they could ask someone else for advice...I was told I could not book massages until the 120 pre date but I said the massage had already gone through only the facial wouldn't...she said "Oh that's strange" and put me on hold again..then came back again and said "okay I guess you can"...Next she said the description of the Hydralift facial as posted on the web site as 45 min. was wrong it should be 90 min... This is surprisingly long for a facial!!! Is it true???Has anyone else had it and how close to the massage have you timed it and are there usually no spa packages?? I booked the facial through her anyways at 130 pm and the massage at 300pm

The other issue I find interesting is that I can not get the massage times I wanted on sea days and the confused rep. told my they are not booked by anyone ..the ship just reserves all those times so that as people come on board they can actually book them on a first come basis...Is this true???

I know this is just a small part of a wonderful cruise but I don't want to be faced with any further confusion when we board. Any advice?? Thanks..:eek:

Karen--we just got off the Grand. We were able to book shore excursions at 120 days out, but the Spa services we were not able to book until like 60 days out. I dont know why. I did get the Hydrolift facial and it lasted 60 minutes, Angela was great. It was AWESOME!! I also did the 30 minute Swedish massage--and Lee was great. As far as Princess Customer service--i find they are always confused or you get 3 different answers. Even our travel agent got different answers. You will find that when you get on the ship--that the Patter has deals for different Lotus Spa treatments, and even if you booked prior to sailing, they still gave us the treatment, at the Patter Price. I know I kept trying every week before our cruise to see if there were certain times available. You should be able to book a facial and then a massage back to back as there is alway 10 minutes between services. If you have any problems when you get onboard, call or stop by the spa. On the first cruise night the girls there are more then helpfull. They actually give you a tour of the spa. They are on the 15th deck, right at the elevators at mid ship. Hope that helps. Tami

Hope you really want Spa treatments quite badly.

They are so over priced. We do take the Thermal Suite package but that is it.

On the Crown last week I did get a polish change at 19.00 and then had them try to sell me a 70.00 product for puffy eyes.

I did not ask to be told about puffy eyes and certainly did not need a 70.00 product.

I did in the past book online but had the service change and the price go up when I arrived at the Spa.

If you do want the Spa treatments, I would go with an open eye. They are expensive, short and they will try to sell you a boatload of expensive products.

Think about a full spa day at home before you go. We did a Spa day in one of the ports and had twice the procedures for the same amount of money and no product hard sell.

Buyer beware.

I find the massage prices on-board ship comparable spas at resorts on-land so don't find the prices out of line on-board ship.

I know people complain about the hard sell and I do believe them, but have not had to experience it. For me (and maybe it is because I am a guy) they may try to sell me something but a no puts a stop to it.

I imagine if they persist I will inform them that they just cost themselves and extra tip and if they continue, I will request any autotip be eliminated from charge.

Thanks Tami I 'm glad to hear the facial is so good and will ask for the names you suggested. Still wondering about the 90 minutes though.

I know Tech it is pricey but this is my treat to myself on sea days, I like to do my own hair and nails..I agree gator the prices are comparable with many resorts fees.

I like quiet spa treatments without sales pitches and I usually and politely let the technician know this with out any problems. I have occasionally liked the products used during the treatment and have bought them.

Just came off the Grand and did the seaweed wrap/massage treatment. The 100 minute treatment was $259 on port days, $228 on sea days, and I felt it was a fair price. My technician's name was Chad and I was very pleased with his ability to adapt his massage techniques to target specific muscle tension in my neck. He was very non-pushy with products; in fact, he was kind enough to double check the price to make sure I was given the lesser port-day price.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you guys. Your Spa treatments are really high compared to our town Kansas City.

$259.00 would buy you half a day of treatments here not 100 minutes.

I am just out of your price range, even if I wanted to treat myself, I could not do it at those prices.

We only had a bill of 500.00 when we left the ship, so if I used the spa it would have been much more.

We went to a Spa at a resort in Bonaire . My husband had massage and back facial. I had a 75 minute seaweed wrap and an hour massage...our bill for both only came to around 240.00.

Archived