Mahogany Beach Ocho Rios??

39august

We went with 15 members of our family to Mahogony Beach and had a great time. We told the taxi driver that dropped us off to return to pick us up to return to the ship (he wouldnt even take any $$ from us until he came back!) That is your best bet because it is sort of off the beaten path.

It was very nice, not at all crowded and you have the option of taking tours from the beach, have a massage, etc. Enjoy!

Hi,

I'm on the next sailing of the Rhapsody and would love to hear more about this beach. We weren't sure what to do in Ocho Rios, but have heard the taxi drivers are wonderful. Where is the beach? Is there snorkeling there? chairs? food?

Thanks!

We were there in December '05. It was a nice, small beach, not too crowded. There were chairs, food and drinks available. This beach was not nearly as beautiful as the other beaches we have been to in the Caribbean, but I've heard that's what to expect in Jamaica. I don't know about water sports available there. We had a private tour guide take our group of 8 on a tour of the Wassai pottery factory first, then took us to Mahogany beach for a few hours and waited for us, and then dropped us off at Margaritaville. There was a nice shopping area near Margaritaville too. From there we were able to walk to the ship. This private tour guide on our private air-conditioned mini bus cost around $100 I think.

There were not taxies waiting at the beach to bring people back to the ship, but there were several other tour guides waiting like ours.

The most popular thing to do there is climb Dunn's River Falls. I've heard it's best to do this with a private tour guide to beat the crowds. There are plenty available with good references in the Jamaica section. We didn't do this because we had small children with us.

Archived