Is Rum Point really worth it??

CPAYNE1997

We are trying to decide if we should rent a car and drive to Rum Point or just do some sightseeing around the Georgetown area? My hubby wants to do some snorking and I want to do a little shopping and relaxing on the beach. We were thinking that we would rent a car go up to Rum Point for a couple of hours and then maybe head back to town and do a little shopping. After reading some posts on another website I am concerned that an hour each way is not worth the drive to Rum Point. I also heard that the snorkling up there is not so hot and my Hubby would be disappointed if it were no good! Not sure what to do any suggestions would be great!!;)

:cool: THE QUESITION IS RUM POINT WORTH IT I HAVE TO SAY NO IVE SEEN NICER BEACHES ON OTHER ISLANDS WHERE THEY DONT RIP YOU OFF FOR A DRINK WHEN WE WERE THERE IN DEC 2006 TWO DRINKS COST $20.50 IN A 6 OZ PLASTIC CUP THAT WERENT STRONG AT ALL WITH A TIP IT WAS $23.00 CHECK YOUR BILL BECAUSE A 15% TIP IS ALREADY ADDED TO IT dONT TELL ME THEY HAVE TO IMPORT EVERYTHING CAN CUN COZUMEL SAINT MARTEEM ST BARTS ANYWHERE ELSE THEY DONT RIP YOU OFF PLUS THEY CAN BUY THE LIQUOR DUTY FREE

Don't get me wrong it is a very nice beach. I wouldn't go back though. Been there done that type thing. If you plan on shopping than I wouldn't go to Rumpoint. I would only go if you had the whole day to dedicate. I would just go to Seven Mile beach which is much closer. Then head over to do your shopping. I have only been snorkeling one time so I am no expert. I would have to say the snokerling at Rumpoint is not that good.

:cool: THE QUESITION IS RUM POINT WORTH IT I HAVE TO SAY NO IVE SEEN NICER BEACHES ON OTHER ISLANDS WHERE THEY DONT RIP YOU OFF FOR A DRINK WHEN WE WERE THERE IN DEC 2006 TWO DRINKS COST $20.50 IN A 6 OZ PLASTIC CUP THAT WERENT STRONG AT ALL WITH A TIP IT WAS $23.00 CHECK YOUR BILL BECAUSE A 15% TIP IS ALREADY ADDED TO IT dONT TELL ME THEY HAVE TO IMPORT EVERYTHING CAN CUN COZUMEL SAINT MARTEEM ST BARTS ANYWHERE ELSE THEY DONT RIP YOU OFF PLUS THEY CAN BUY THE LIQUOR DUTY FREE

As I recall, hockeypapa, you posted several threads seeking places for cheap drinks in Cayman. As stated before, there are NO bargain basement all-you-can drink extravaganzas in Cayman.

Cayman imports 100% of all liquor, and probably 98% of all beer consumed or purchased here. Mexico does not, so you keep comparing apples to oranges. There is a local brew pub and a commercial brewery in Cayman, but no distilleries.

Alcohol is subject to a heavy import duty. Bars cannot purchase alcohol duty free for resale in the islands. These costs get passed along.

Speficially as to Rum Point... it is not the cheapest place to drink in Cayman. The property is open to the public, offers free lounge chairs, hammocks, and restroom facilities with showers. There is no admission charge. They make their money on food and beverage sales.

Rum Point does not stock 6oz cups. Drinks are served in 12oz plastic cups - I've stared at the bottom of many an empty Pepsi there. Alcoholic beverages are prepared by measured jiggers.

Yes, the Wreck Bar and Grill at Rum Point adds in and automatic 15% gratuity. Perhaps half the restaurants and bars in Cayman do this. Prices are clearly posted, in CI$, and exchange rate is listed on the menu.

We just got back from Brillance to Panama Canal Feb 2-12. We had planned on renting a car at GC based on what I read here. But we decided we didnt want to bother with the car so we signed up for a 2.5 hr snorkeling excursion for $28 - the best snorkeling I have done. The snorkeling spots are between the cruise ship and the shore - very close so you get 1/2 hr at the first shipwreck, then 45 min at the reef - it was awesome. The guides were great - fed the fish so there were loads of them. And it only took a portion of our morning. Then we grabbed a cab (small bus) for $3 ea which dropped us off at 7 mile beach. We walked, ate lunch at the beach bar (my favorite thing to do - eat and have a frozen drink right on the beach), and of course had to get in the water-- so calm and clear - absolutely beautiful. The beach was not very crowded in spots - just walk a bit away from the hotels. I liked this beach better than Aruba (seemed very crowded to me where we went). We walked all the way back to the ship, had time to do some shopping as well and we were back on board in time for our dinner at 6. It was a great day!! I hope it is for you too :) I have attached some pics for you too.

DSCF0342.jpg.8b0fe0040ba206f9874e3fc0afd27561.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg.e4de7be84e37a1ba745ca5fa7131da3a.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg.1284b33b6d64977b244159d861e28419.jpg

Archived