SEATTLE--from ship to airport--time needed?

NCmomwithteens

My ship gets into port in Seattle at 7 AM. Do you think I could make an 11 AM flight? If not, what is the earliest time that is reasonable? Also has anyone stayed overnight in Seattle?

I just discussed this with my travel agent since we were booking today. She said she HIGHLY recommends a noon or later flight just to be safe. She said the boat could dock late and take a good 2-2.5 hrs to get everyone off...then you have a 20 minute transfer... she siad you should make a 11 am flight but its safer to do a noon

We are staying an extra day in Seattle Doubletree by airport and our flight leaves at 4:00pm the next day (Monday) We did the express debarkation and LA and hated it on the star. This way we can relax and watch everyone else wait in line than we can walk off the ship and catch our transfer to the hotel than we will ethier rent a car or just take a shuttle downtown and hang out.

It can easily take up to 40 minutes to get from downtown to SEA, and if there is bad traffic or a wreck, it can take a lot longer. Seattle is such a lovely city...why don't you plan to stay longer? You can find some reasonably priced places to stay downtown, take in some shopping (great galleries too) and Pike Place Market, eat some salmon, and go home the next day.

Thanks for your responses. I changed the flight to noon, so here is hoping. I know we could stay an extra night, but my experience on the last two cruises was that once we arrived, we were ready to head home. I have awful memories of needing to spend hours wandering about San Juan waiting for an evening departure--being very hot and dizzy and just wanting to leave. So...hopefully the ship will be on time.

Do you arrange some kind of airport transportation through your booking agent if you are not taking their air package, or just grab a cab at the dock?

Thanks again!!

Thanks for your responses. I changed the flight to noon, so here is hoping. I know we could stay an extra night, but my experience on the last two cruises was that once we arrived, we were ready to head home. I have awful memories of needing to spend hours wandering about San Juan waiting for an evening departure--being very hot and dizzy and just wanting to leave. So...hopefully the ship will be on time.

Do you arrange some kind of airport transportation through your booking agent if you are not taking their air package, or just grab a cab at the dock?

Thanks again!![/quote

I would catch a cab, should be about $25 - $30. Not sure when you will be in Seattle but here is a big construction project that is going on in August:

SEATTLE – WSDOT’s message is clear: Start thinking now about your Seattle–area commute this August.

WSDOT announced Wednesday it will pave more than one mile of northbound Interstate 5 and replace failing bridge expansion joints between Spokane Street and I-90. These repairs will significantly affect traffic, particularly during 19 continuous days of intense construction from Aug. 10 to Aug. 29 when crews will close several lanes of northbound I-5 at all times, leaving only two or three lanes open to workday traffic.

Although WSDOT is working with the City of Seattle and other local communities, businesses and transit agencies to help keep traffic moving during construction, lengthy backups and significant delays are expected. The construction closures will have a substantial effect on West Seattle and south King County commuters and will push traffic onto other routes, including I-405, State Route 99, and city streets in Georgetown, SODO, Rainier Valley and Beacon Hill.

“We’re doing everything we can to keep traffic moving, but we really need help from drivers” said WSDOT Regional Administrator Lorena Eng. “These closures have the potential to create unprecedented gridlock on freeways and city streets.”

Drivers also can expect periodic closures of the Spokane Street and Columbian Way on-ramps to northbound I-5, and the northbound I-5 exits to Fourth Avenue South, I-90, and James, Madison and Dearborn streets.

Eng said drivers can take steps now that could ease their commutes and help other drivers this August:

• Plan a vacation between Aug. 10-29
  • Consider arrangements to carpool or vanpool
  • Practice taking the bus or train
  • Make arrangements to work from home or alternate worksite
  • Discuss altering your work schedule to come in earlier or later than normal
  • Try alternate routes
  • Keep up to date on the project by subscribing to WSDOT’s I-5 Seattle E-mail Alerts and by bookmarking WSDOT’s project Web page

I-5 from Spokane Street to the I-90 interchange is an elevated bridge that is more than 40 years old. It’s one of the busiest sections of freeway in Washington and the daily pounding has taken its toll. The expansion joints connecting the concrete spans that make up the freeway are failing and potentially pose a serious risk to drivers. Collisions and major traffic back-ups are a growing risk as the top steel plates of these joints detach more and more frequently.

To help protect drivers and extend the life of the freeway, crews will replace the expansion joints on the northbound bridge and resurface the northbound lanes. They will also repair the expansion joints on the southbound bridge using overnight closures.

For more information, visit the project Web site at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/SpokaneStreetBridgeRepair/

Archived