just got back from 1st cruise

m1ckey

when does the feeling you are still on the boat go away?

my hubby and I are still swaying:confused:

You are experiencing 'mal de mare'. Although not everyone experiences it, it is normal. Consider taking the same over the counter measurements you would take on-board the ship to prevent becoming sea sick.

Good luck!

I do not know whether you lived in FL all your life but here's an example.

If it does not apply, sorry, I cannot come up with a better example.

When you were a little kid and played in the waves all day long, do you remember going to bed at night and feeling that your bed was moving as if you were still playing in the waves?

Your body got used to a motion that is not normal (the motion of the cruise ship), therefore, it compensated itself in order to cope and keep you balanced.

Now that you are off the ship, your body is still in motion compensation mode. Give it a few days.

"land" sickness - I love it...it reminds me that I just had a blast!!! Usually 2 or 3 days, depending on the person. If you need, you can take a bonine or other such "sea" sickness remedy. It's basically the same malady only opposite. Your body has to get used to land the same way it had to get used to sea. It also may depend a little on age, my mom noticed it way more than I ever had and she's not a carsick/seasick type person. It's also always a little different with every cruise. Last cruise, I felt semi-drunk the first time I drove my car a day after we got back. That was new a really weird. Hang in there...like your vacation...this too shall pass. Hope you feel better soon!!!

You are experiencing 'mal de mare'. Although not everyone experiences it, it is normal. Consider taking the same over the counter measurements you would take on-board the ship to prevent becoming sea sick.

Good luck!

Actually, mal de mer is seasickness while you are at sea. What you are experiencing is more like mal de debarquement, a long name for still dizzy and sometimes seasick after returning to land.

I have this every time we cruise, no matter the length, no matter if the seas are even calm. Sometimes I've had it for a month after returning home. The very best thing to do (for me) is to continue taking less-drowsy formula of Dramamine every night for a week and get plenty of rest, plenty of fluids.

What is interesting is that, after reading several pages of information about mal de debarquement, recommended treatment is not OTC drugs, but anti-depressant drugs, of which I have never taken. The OTC drugs have always worked for me and others who have previously posted about it on CC. It could be that it works itself out and the OTC just makes us feel better in the interim, but I swear my symptoms last weeks longer if I don't take them :)

If it doesn't clear up within a week or so, or is very severe, you should see a doctor, sometimes it could be an ear infection.

If you want to read more:

http://www.etete.com/mdd/knowledge.html

It happens to me after every cruise, even though I have No seasickness while on board. I am so dizzy & fell swaying for one week after, sometimes even 4 weeks. My dr. gave me some prescription for it when it don't go away.

Actually, mal de mer is seasickness while you are at sea. What you are experiencing is more like mal de debarquement, a long name for still dizzy and sometimes seasick after returning to land.

I have this every time we cruise, no matter the length, no matter if the seas are even calm. Sometimes I've had it for a month after returning home. The very best thing to do (for me) is to continue taking less-drowsy formula of Dramamine every night for a week and get plenty of rest, plenty of fluids.

What is interesting is that, after reading several pages of information about mal de debarquement, recommended treatment is not OTC drugs, but anti-depressant drugs, of which I have never taken. The OTC drugs have always worked for me and others who have previously posted about it on CC. It could be that it works itself out and the OTC just makes us feel better in the interim, but I swear my symptoms last weeks longer if I don't take them :)

If it doesn't clear up within a week or so, or is very severe, you should see a doctor, sometimes it could be an ear infection.

If you want to read more:

http://www.etete.com/mdd/knowledge.html

That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

I get that feeling after a long distance road trip as a passenger! I also tend to get lightheaded when flying. Will the 10 hour non-stop flight after the cruise be even more traumatic than I initially thought?:( Do they make dramamine for kids? I'd hate to add the smell of vomit to that airplane!

They most definitely make Dramamine for kids. But beware - it makes them sleepy. I used to give it to my daughter when she was little when we would leave very early for a really long road trip. She never got car sick but it also ensured she slept for the first four or so hours of the trip. This meant she didn't get to cranky from lack of sleep and also not to bored.;)

Archived