underwater piccies

Madkitty

We have pics on our picture page. The water pictures of destinations before Turks & Caicos is with a Fuji disposable camera. That includes Grand Cayman and Sting Ray City. T & C and thereafter is with a waterproof digital camera.

I really got fed up with the poor quality of the waterproof disposables. For 27 pics we'd get about half that was good enough to post on our site. I absolutley love our digital waterproof. It takes great pictures above and below water, and we only have to kepp up with one camera.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

We have pics on our picture page. The water pictures of destinations before Turks & Caicos is with a Fuji disposable camera. That includes Grand Cayman and Sting Ray City. T & C and thereafter is with a waterproof digital camera.

I really got fed up with the poor quality of the waterproof disposables. For 27 pics we'd get about half that was good enough to post on our site. I absolutley love our digital waterproof. It takes great pictures above and below water, and we only have to kepp up with one camera.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

thanks - this was what I was fearing. Do you find that the o-ring is difficult to care for though and how often does it need replacing?

I posted some of my photos on This Thread

IMO, disposable cameras most often produce disposable photos.

The digital camera in the UW housing is really the way to go. O-ring care isn't difficult at all. Probably as equally important as checking the O-ring before load the camera is throughly rinsing the camera in fresh water after taking it into salt water. Canon and Olympus are the 2 manufactures that have the most housings for their cameras.

For the PMA show this year, Olympus just announced an upgrade to their waterproof SW series. The Stylus 770SW is waterproof to 33 ft. and can be dropped from 4.9 ft. without damage. Should be available in March. If you need one right now, their earlier model should still be available and the price has probably dropped.

mju770SW_frontback-001.jpg

No housing...just a waterproof everyday camera. How simple is that?

Article here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07012505olympusstylus770sw.asp

Dave

We bought our waterproof digital in Feb. 2006. No housing. It looks like the one pictured in the above thread. There's no o-ring either. Just a lock on the battery/film dics compartment so water doesn't go in. Haven't had any problems with it. We have the Pentax Optio WP.

For the PMA show this year, Olympus just announced an upgrade to their waterproof SW series. The Stylus 770SW is waterproof to 33 ft. and can be dropped from 4.9 ft. without damage.

Dave

Good for snorkeling, not suitable for scuba.

Good for snorkeling, not suitable for scuba.

Agreed, but in the context of the original post, they were looking for pics with a disposable...it would seem overkill to offer up a Nikon or Canon pro rig with an Ikelite housing and strobes. The Olympus and Pentax submersibles work very well for casual splashers and snorkelers and at $300 or so, they are about $250 cheaper and a lot more convenient than, say, a Canon SD800IS and the dedicated housing.

Dave

can anyone show me theirs - especially of the rays at stingray city and with disposable camera?

The following pictures were taken at Stingray City with a disposable underwater camera ...

StingrayCity1.jpg

StingrayCity2.jpg

StingrayCity3.jpg

StingrayCity4.jpg

StingrayCity5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The camera I used for those pics was a cheepie Fuji Film underwater camera. They are only good for about 10ft depth and I knew I wasn't diving that day only snorkeling.

I have a normal underwater camera, but didn't take it on the trip.

Its also very easy to get the pictures developed at Costco and have them added to a CD as well as hard copies... then you can have the best of both worlds.

I just posted this one another thread today as well. This was a Fuji Film underwater camera and it worked great. We opted for a CD instead of prints.

Cute couple, eh?

Wow, great picture! I never thought the disposable ones could take such good pictures until I saw this thread...

Archived