Queen Victoria - World Cruise 2008

KenC

Howdy -

I'm joining the thread a bit late, but I'll be in A6 - 4166 for the NY - LA leg of the trip.

Larry and I are cruise buddies, though he goes FAR more often than I do.

I am looking forward the QV, in part because I expect it will wind up being (at least for awhile) the most formal ship at sea.... I was just on the QM2 for the RSVP charter, and it seems to have been quite "Americanized" - more casual (and untrained) in the service department. Though what struck me most is that the ship is being maintained as if she were brand new.... other than a bedspread that's clearly been washed a few times, everything I saw look as good as it did when the ship was just 6 or 8 weeks old.

And, I've never been a fan of the QE2.... I never quite forgot the 6 potted plants that they moved around under the plumbing leaks on my 2000 crossing.... And something about using duct tape to hold the hallway carpeting together just seemed a little low-brow to me. Reminds me of a grand old mansion that the owners have become too poor or too senile to take good care of. May the new owners do right by her.

Well, greetings to all.... looking forward to the trip!

cheers,

David.

Hello Ken and Phill

I am also in an A5 balcony - 5045 - maybe we are neighbors.

You are starboard and forward - we are port and aft - at least we are the same deck!!!

I did not know the first QV went to P&O. Looked at their web site and they do not have deck plans, but interesting that the prices are in Pounds. Quite steep with the 100% single surcharge. Cunard only has a 75% surcharge, unless Grill Class. I went on deposit for the QV Maiden voyage in 2004, so was disappointed when the ship was redesigned, but the wait is worth it.

There should be deck plans somewhere on the P&O site - Arcadia's layout is basically the same as the HAL Vistas but with the Queens Grill area stuck infront of the funnel - just as it is on the new HAL Eurodam. QV's internal layout is the same in concept but quite different in execution and detail. Having been on Arcadia I can say she would have made a very disappointing QV!!!

I will get to do the Constellation in September. I'll just fly in for the cruise. Celebrity is providing the air, so probably straight from the air port to the ship. Disaster Recovery Drill at work was postponed until December. I'm on the Monarch for a three day this week end.

Love the sea!

Larry

Lucky you - would love to have all those sea days. Looking forward to our Connie trip in November

Cheers

Ken & Phill

Howdy -

I'm joining the thread a bit late, but I'll be in A6 - 4166 for the NY - LA leg of the trip.

Larry and I are cruise buddies, though he goes FAR more often than I do. .

Hello David .... we will be able to lean over our balcony and wave at you on yours!!! Are you travelling alone? Larry does seem to do an unfair amount of cruising!!! ;)

I am looking forward the QV, in part because I expect it will wind up being (at least for awhile) the most formal ship at sea.... I was just on the QM2 for the RSVP charter, and it seems to have been quite "Americanized" - more casual (and untrained) in the service department. Though what struck me most is that the ship is being maintained as if she were brand new.... other than a bedspread that's clearly been washed a few times, everything I saw look as good as it did when the ship was just 6 or 8 weeks old. .

We like the dressing up element of Cunard too. The relaxed service onboard your RSVP charter may have been due to the fact that it was a Gay US charter??? I read reports of excellent service on the Cunard Board from die hard QE2 fans - so it has to be good!

And, I've never been a fan of the QE2.... I never quite forgot the 6 potted plants that they moved around under the plumbing leaks on my 2000 crossing.... And something about using duct tape to hold the hallway carpeting together just seemed a little low-brow to me. Reminds me of a grand old mansion that the owners have become too poor or too senile to take good care of. May the new owners do right by her..

I am persona non grata on the Cunard Board because of my constant criticisms of QE2 - I don't rate her at all. Found it very disappointing on board after following her career with interest since the launch.

Well, greetings to all.... looking forward to the trip!

cheers,

David.

Stay in touch - it would be good to get a CC group together onboard for drinks (especially as we are not with Pied Piper :( )

Regards

Ken & Phill :D

Howdy -

No, I really don't think the service blips I saw on QM2 had anything to do with the RSVP charter. Lack of knowledge about wine and how to use the pepper grinder (not kidding) shouldn't be triggered by any request that came from RSVP.

All in all, it was a great trip, though.... I would happily do another RSVP trip.

Yes, I'll be traveling single on the QV - and all the other bookings you see in my signature line, for that matter. I like the privacy, and since I'm single at home, I'm used to it.

Slighly more than 6 months to go. :-)

David.

Howdy -

No, I really don't think the service blips I saw on QM2 had anything to do with the RSVP charter. Lack of knowledge about wine and how to use the pepper grinder (not kidding) shouldn't be triggered by any request that came from RSVP. .

Hi David ...... this doesn't sound excusable on any ship!!!

Yes, I'll be traveling single on the QV - and all the other bookings you see in my signature line, for that matter. I like the privacy, and since I'm single at home, I'm used to it.

Slighly more than 6 months to go. :-)

David.

Hope you're not averse to a drink and a laugh with some mad Brits :D

Ken & Phill

Hope you're not averse to a drink and a laugh with some mad Brits :D

Ken & Phill

We [Tricyrtis et moi] love mad Brits and look forward to it!

We also have an A5 [50xx...still paranoid about posting specific cabin #'s on a public forum:cool:] so looks like we'll be neighbors too.

Haven't been around for a while...we were on the QM2 four day Bahama's cruise last week, also with a fun PP group.

Last night I booked our plane rezos from LAX back to NY for mid-afternoon on Jan. 30, so it looks like we're all set.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the three Queens in NY. Hope that QM2 will be able to dock with the other two on the west side and not in Brooklyn.

Jack

Hello

Ken - the Monarch is from 1992, it was the biggest thing afloat at that time, but things change. Still an excellent week end get a way. I know I've been on it to many times when a spa person called me by name before they even saw my card. She gave me the ginger scrub, but lined me up with a hot little latino for a body massage. Ask David about my spa visits. He has been on a few cruises with me. I love the sea ... and indulgence.

A5 seems to be popular. With all the balcony cabins being the same size, it seemed like a good deal. When I booked, it seemed like the A5 was mainly offered to Cunard Club members. Other postings I saw did not offer the A5. Now I only see prices posted for an inside cabin available at a higher rate than I paid for the A5, but it also said the ship is sold out.

The Constellation September 15th TA line on CC has over 200 people and 4000 messsages, and I've read them all. I noticed there are about 15 entries on the Gay Roll Call for the cruise, so FOD meetings should be good. I fly into England the day of the cruise and Celebrity is going to get me to Dover. No extra time to spend in England this trip.

I'd like to hear about the QM2 4 day cruise. I believe she is my favorite ship up to now. I hope the QV takes over that position. The drawings of QV look great.

We need our own meet and greet either at sail away or on the first sea day. Looking forward to all the sea days and meeting everyone.

Larry

Hi Jack

We [Tricyrtis et moi] love mad Brits and look forward to it!

That's good - Phill and I are growing old disgracefully!!!

We also have an A5 [50xx...still paranoid about posting specific cabin #'s on a public forum:cool:] so looks like we'll be neighbors too.

Don't mind giving out our number nearer the time - but we are port side aft ... unless the upgrade fairy strikes!!!

Haven't been around for a while...we were on the QM2 four day Bahama's cruise last week, also with a fun PP group.

Lucky you, love that ship - how was it? We've heard that these 3 or 4 nighters aren't up to normal standards - there have been reports of many pax ordering 2 or 3 entrees in Britannia (just to try a bit of everything!!) and then complaining that the service is slow!!!

Last night I booked our plane rezos from LAX back to NY for mid-afternoon on Jan. 30, so it looks like we're all set.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the three Queens in NY. Hope that QM2 will be able to dock with the other two on the west side and not in Brooklyn.

Jack

We are also flying straight back to the UK from LAX - we have a hotel to re open for February. We are tagging on pre cruise time in Key West though and will be in NYC for the weekend before THE arrival. I'm pretty sure QM2 will dock in Brooklyn and then rendezvous with the others at sailaway. Can you imagine the chaos in Manhattan if all three Queens were embarking pax - especially with two on world cruises!!

Ken

Hi Larry

Hello Ken - the Monarch is from 1992, it was the biggest thing afloat at that time, but things change. Still an excellent week end get a way. I know I've been on it to many times when a spa person called me by name before they even saw my card. She gave me the ginger scrub, but lined me up with a hot little latino for a body massage. Ask David about my spa visits. He has been on a few cruises with me. I love the sea ... and indulgence.

Love the Sovereign class - such good looking ships. Pity they are used on such short cruises these days. Don't dare to ask what a ginger scrub is (images of young guys with red hair etc!!)

A5 seems to be popular. With all the balcony cabins being the same size, it seemed like a good deal. When I booked, it seemed like the A5 was mainly offered to Cunard Club members. Other postings I saw did not offer the A5. Now I only see prices posted for an inside cabin available at a higher rate than I paid for the A5, but it also said the ship is sold out.

We booked within hours of that segment going on sale - good to hear prices have gone up rather than down!!

The Constellation September 15th TA line on CC has over 200 people and 4000 messsages, and I've read them all. I noticed there are about 15 entries on the Gay Roll Call for the cruise, so FOD meetings should be good. I fly into England the day of the cruise and Celebrity is going to get me to Dover. No extra time to spend in England this trip.

We will be on Connie 6 weeks after you - don't get her dirty!!!

I'd like to hear about the QM2 4 day cruise. I believe she is my favorite ship up to now. I hope the QV takes over that position. The drawings of QV look great.

We need our own meet and greet either at sail away or on the first sea day. Looking forward to all the sea days and meeting everyone.

Larry

Hearing lots of good things about the interiors and the quality of the finishes (higher than QM2) - lets just hope. We're up for cocktails on the first sea day unless the captain's reception gets in the way .... we will have to plan it nearer the time. Think sailaway is going to be manic with people rushing all over the ship for the best view of this, that and the other!!!

Ken

Dear Ken and Phill

I just read in Out Traveler that Brighton hosts the biggest Pride festival in England. Princess cruise line gave me a complementary one year subscription to Out. I've never sailed Princess, but guess I made a list somewhere.

I'm getting excited about the TA on Constellation. That's the last of the M class ships for me to be on. Very active CC line or the September 15th cruise - over 4300 entries. Over 200 CCs registered. It has enough sea days to let me do excursions when in port, and still have time to enjoy the ship. Our QV trip is great with all the sea days. It will be the longest cruise I've eve taken. Last year did 14 days RT to Hawaii from LA. The last four days at sea went too fast.

Does Cunard do anything for CC members?

Have fun!

Larry

Dear Ken and Phill

I just read in Out Traveler that Brighton hosts the biggest Pride festival in England. Princess cruise line gave me a complementary one year subscription to Out. I've never sailed Princess, but guess I made a list somewhere.

Hi Larry ..... yes, the Brighton Pride is probably the largest in the UK after London. This year it's on August 3 to 5 and the hotel has been sold out for months - so we are usually too busy to participate. We do get to see the parade though as it starts on the seafront at the bottom of the street!

I'm getting excited about the TA on Constellation. That's the last of the M class ships for me to be on. Very active CC line or the September 15th cruise - over 4300 entries. Over 200 CCs registered. It has enough sea days to let me do excursions when in port, and still have time to enjoy the ship. Our QV trip is great with all the sea days. It will be the longest cruise I've eve taken. Last year did 14 days RT to Hawaii from LA. The last four days at sea went too fast.

We loved the Connie - the only one we haven't done is Infinity. Sea days are our favourite - we had a great time on a Brilliance transatlantic a few years back ... every night in the club was like a FOD reunion!!!

Does Cunard do anything for CC members?

In a word - NO! But I'm sure it will have a few FOD meetings arranged!!

best wishes

Ken&Phill

where did everyone go ??? :eek:

We're still here! :)

We're getting psyched now for our Sept. 4 trans Atlantic on the QM2. We'll be spending 5 days in London, then back to Southampton to board the QE2 for the 40th anniversary celebration cruise around GB.

In answer to your earlier question, we had a great time on our QM2 Bahamas cruise in July. Fortunately, we didn't have a problem with lots of people ordering multiple entrees. It was a great PP group...enjoyed their two parties on board [the welcoming party the first night in the Commodore Club and the farewell party in the Winter Garden] and our dinner table for ten in the Britannia dining room.

Looking forward to meeting you in January on the QV.

We're still here! :)

We're getting psyched now for our Sept. 4 trans Atlantic on the QM2. We'll be spending 5 days in London, then back to Southampton to board the QE2 for the 40th anniversary celebration cruise around GB.

In answer to your earlier question, we had a great time on our QM2 Bahamas cruise in July. Fortunately, we didn't have a problem with lots of people ordering multiple entrees. It was a great PP group...enjoyed their two parties on board [the welcoming party the first night in the Commodore Club and the farewell party in the Winter Garden] and our dinner table for ten in the Britannia dining room.

Looking forward to meeting you in January on the QV.

Glad you're still there :D

You will be glad to know that summer has finally arrived in the UK - after the wettest June and July on record!!! Hopefully it's here until late September.

We must look into a PP trip - sounds like fun, but aren't the rates on the high side comapred to a TA or Cunard???

Cheers

Ken & Phill

I put down $500.00 deposit a month ago to be on the waiting list. haven't heard anything.

Anybody need a cabin-mate or know of somebody who is looking for somebody to share a cabin?

Hi Hobie

$500 to go on a waitlist - that's a bit steep isn't it?? Do you know what position you are on the waitlist?? Will keep our fingers crossed for you.

Cheers

Ken & Phill

We must look into a PP trip - sounds like fun, but aren't the rates on the high side comapred to a TA or Cunard???

Cheers

Ken & Phill

Actually I think they are probably lower! Check their website for upcoming QE2, QM2, and QV cruises and compare their prices with those posted at Cunard. We've often booked with PP...if there is a price drop, we are notified and are able to rebook at the lower price. If it occurs after final payment, they will often arrange an on board credit.

Ken,

Thanks for your "good luck" wishes. The waitlist deposit is fully refundable if nothing opens up so I'm not concerned about the amount. I just want to get on to the ship!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Hello - I've been busy with the Constellation Sept 15 TA thread. There are 4900 posts and new information daily. Heard a new term 'Doc Dance' when your documents are received.

Hobie - tell me about wait listing for a sold out cruise. Do you know if you are share or single or what class of cabin you are offered? Interesting concept. I'm usually booking a year or more out, and looking for good prices, or a special cruises.

I ran across a good deal on Princess repositioning from LA to Vancouver May 2008 - so booked it. The price on Vacations to go was $1,000 less than Princess direct booking. 6 day guarantee suite for under $1500 total for cabin. That takes care of all my 2008 vacation days. I have not been on Princess.

Time to think about what to pack for September TA. I think it can be corduroy and sweaters. Lasotherapie pool can be shorts and sandals, but sounds like a cool climate cruise. Booked jet boat to see reversing falls in St John's - and guaranteed to get wet. Pack the cold medicine too.

Have fun!

Larry

Larry,

You asked about the waitlist. If a cabin comes available and is offered to me, I have the choice to accept or reject it. If I accept it, then I can find a cabin mate or book it as a single just like any other cabin. If I reject it, I go back on the waitlist. Full refund at any time I request it.

We are almost neighbors! I live in Long Beach.

Hi Hobie – I noticed we are almost neighbors. Nice to find another cruise enthusiast in the area and on the Gay line. I have really gotten into the cruise thing the last few years. I think it is because my cell phone doesn’t work on the ship, and work knows I will be out of reach for the trip. To easy to get me if I do a land trip and they would not hesitate to contact me or have me call in for a conference call. At $9.00 a minute, they don’t expect to have me call in.

I wish there were more options to cruise from LA./Long Beach. I do Monarch for three-day weekend a lot, and have done two Hawaii cruises on Celebrity.

After I return from the Sept 15th TA, I would like to get together and talk cruise. Song o America was my first cruise and I never got to do Song of Norway. Does it seem to you like the service and food has gotten more ordinary – or am I just getting spoiled. My first cruise – whenever I left the cabin, the cabin fairy appeared and replaced the towels, refilled the ice buck and fruit bowl, and I never saw them. Menu had both red and black caviar. The ships were not to today’s standards, but the service was unexcelled.

I believe final payment is October, so some cabins may open up. Realization of cost and I understand the average age of round the world cruiser is quite high, so other factors may open cabins.

Have fun

Larry

Actually I think they are probably lower! Check their website for upcoming QE2, QM2, and QV cruises and compare their prices with those posted at Cunard. We've often booked with PP...if there is a price drop, we are notified and are able to rebook at the lower price. If it occurs after final payment, they will often arrange an on board credit.

We will check it out - but not sure if they take UK bookings, Cunard especially being funny about US TA's taking Brits ...... any idea?

Ken

Archived