Pre-cruise stay: Turtle Bay vs Maui vs Kona

whale-watcher

We are planning a 4-night pre-cruise stay before our POAM cruise next winter, and have reservations at the Turtle Bay Resort...

I was pricing out airfare and found that we could actually stay in Maui or Kona (or perhaps elsewhere) and then fly to HNL on the day of the cruise, and the total air costs would be the same as just flying in and out of HNL (including the inter-island flights; I will never understand the logic behind airline pricing!!!)

Turtle bay seems to offer a lot of things we are looking for...peace and quiet, a chance to snorkel and kayak and whale watch, and a chance to do some hiking and exploring of some of Hawaii's more natural areas on our own...

but do any of you Hawaii experts think that it might be better for us to consider a stay at one of the other islands instead...taking into account the fact that we will be spending 2 days in Maui, 1.5 days in Kauai, and 1 day each in Kona and Hilo on the cruise itself...

we are not really beach people, although we want to be able to stay in an oceanview room and enjoy water related activities...

Thanks in advance!!!

I was bored to tear at a fancy Kona resort. Its very isolated. It would have been great if you played golf or were on a honeymoon. I was with my Dad.

I love Turtle Bay its one of the best spots to stay on Oahu imo. The waves will be up in the winter and you will be on north shore in the middle of the surfing action. i lived near there and know its special.

Maui is very fun. Some places are more fun to stay at than others, so I dont know where you are thinking of staying. Iv stayed all over the island.

Kauai is beautiful, but not much to do there imo. We stayed at a ocean front resort and had friends to do stuff with so we had fun all week, but not sure I wouldnt have been bored there in a week long stay.

Id stay on Maui, or Turtle Bay on Oahu myself. Not Kona or Kauai.

Turtle Bay Resort is a great place to stay. It is away from Waikiki, very serene. Be sure to have lunch at one of the shrimp trucks in Kahuku. Look up shrimp trucks Oahu and you will see. While you are sitting out for lunch don't be surprised to see a limo or two drive up and have lunch.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

I think we will stay with our plan of spending 4 nights at turtle bay, and scope out Maui for possible future vacations when are there for 2 days on the cruise. That shrimp truck lunch sounds like fun, and we really wanted to visit the PCC as well.

:)

Archived