Would you pre-pay for...

It'sRC4ME

…other onboard purchases they way you can pre-pay for wine (wine & dine program) and sodas?

I’m not sure why we suddenly became interested in enhancing cruise line profit margins, but DH and I were talking about this last night and came up with a couple of other things that could be offered in a pre-paid, slightly discounted package: bingo cards (so many cards per game, all paid up front), photos + cruise in review video (so many photos, + a video thrown into larger packages) Ben & Jerry’s and Johnny rockets (so many cones/visits for a one-time fee), drinks of the day (seven days for the price of six).

Obviously the upside for the cruise line would be that folks who purchase said packages put up a sum of money up front, and then may not use all the services, or the price of the package will be more than they would have spent on the items if purchased separately, (like buying a package of 6 photos for $50 when you would normally only have bought 2 photos for $25), or the package will serve as a lead in for additional purchases (who wants to just have one drink of the day?) resulting in a profit for the cruise line even through the passenger receives a discount over the price of the items if they were purchased separately.

The upside for the passenger is that if they use the services and don’t overestimate what they would have spent otherwise for the items (see photo example above) they receive a discount, plus relief from the feeling of being “nickel and dimed” throughout the cruise.

What do you think of this?

I hope I'm not being gullible here...although there may be a little humor involved.

Honestly, I would go for the drink of the day package, and possibly the bingo package (although I'm trying to quit that habit!). I always want to try the drink of the day, so saving a little money would be nice!

RCI used to have a drink card, I think it was 6 for the price of 5, house brand only, but did away with it in 2005 or so. So I'm guessing that wasn't profitable for them. On some ships they do have a specialty coffee card - buy 7 get one free (we've been toting ours around since 2004).

I don't play bingo or go to B&Js (except to use my coupon), haven't yet sailed on a ship with JR & hate having my picture taken, so I guess my answer would be no.:D

Archived