Has anyone heard from someone on the Rhapsody this week?

dixie54

Bankonus, join us on our Roll call for the 1 July sailing. It will be our 3rd Rhapsdoy cruise within 7 months and our 7th total along with 3 other Vision class cruises. It definitely is an excellent ship for all the reasons posted previously.:)

Only kidding! See both sides of the argument. Don't wanna cross a bridge player..that is like doubling and redoubling a 1 club bid! Nor do I want to upset the ultra, super doper, quadruple gazillion diamond members.

Please, be kind, only kidding!

Seriously, I would guess RCI decided any and all changes were done, a) because the upgrades were needed and b) because the ship is heading out to Asia (at this piont in time it is a perminent move) and it is being set up with that market in mind.

Yeah, we don't get the full RCI C & A treatment, but I, for one, can live without it....just wish they had picked another ship to deploy and left Texas with the Rhapsody!!

8 weeks and and a wake up and we are back on our favorite ship!!!!

Hey Jim, how do you really feel? :rolleyes:

"I would not sail on Carnivore even if you offered me dbl the perks."

My version of that is: I wouldn't sail on that line if it were FREE!

DITTO

I am just curious if either of you have ever even TRIED Carnival? I love Carnival and RC both, they have different things to offer.

Anyways, with regard to the Concierge lounge everyone keeps talking about....I think it is kinda sad that people are trying to take away the card room on the Rhapsody. I don't play Bridge or use the card room but I am sure there are plenty that do and you are trying to take away something that means something to someone else. If you want a concierge lounge then go on another ship.

Yes...in the past.

Today? Nope! It is either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity from now on.

I just enjoy "tweeking" Carnival fans. My wife says I am one of those people that throws gasoline on a fire just to see if it will burn.

Yes...in the past.

Today? Nope! It is either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity from now on.

I just enjoy "tweeking" Carnival fans. My wife says I am one of those people that throws gasoline on a fire just to see if it will burn.

Well, as mentioned I love both. It is not so much that you "tweeked" me, but unfortunately very often you see people bad mouthing CARNIVAL and they have never even tried it. I am slightly partial because CARNIVAL was my first cruise and when I tried RC I was a little disappointed because they didn't have some of the same things and they didn't give us OBC when we missed a port - Carnival does and it is better customer service in my opinion. But I still had a good vacation anyways and met some very nice people, I look forward to my second trip on the Rhapsody in June.

Firefly - to answer your question - Voyager does have a very nice concierge lounge. We sailed on her from Miami last year. I am looking forward to her docking in Galveston. She is amazing.

We were on the Grand before the card room was taken away and enjoyed it. The elimination of the card room was a big controversy. But then the card room was not only eliminated on the Grand, but on the other Grand class ships as well and the internet cafes installed instead. When we were on the Grand in February, bridge was regularly scheduled in the Painted Desert. The Grand still sails at full capacity.

Im just guessing that you dont play bridge or dont play seriously. Yep, they scheduled play in the Painted Dessert, yep the ship was full.

However, I got to play once, for almost 30 minutes. It was time to stop so they could set up for dinner. As a bridge player this doesnt work. They had 4 ports, so only 2 port days. One of these days they didnt even bother putting it in the patter, no cards were set out. So if you didnt have your own cards you couldnt play. There was zero organization and few played bridge. Having a card room makes a difference. I know almost every bridge player on the Grand would agree with me, it stunk. Lots were so mad they are chaning to RCI they said so they could have a card room, now Im reading that folks think its a great idea to get rid of the card rooms on RCI so they can have their lounge.

On the CB which has a real card room, we had over 8 tables of bridge and no problems playing bridge. You didnt have to worry about quitting so they could set up for dinner.

This is a touchy subject if you are a bridge player and realize the reality is not having a card room means its hard to meet up with other bridge players. I cruise alone and its almost impossible without some organization. The Painted Dessert did NOT work as an alternative. You cant play at night there either, its a restaurant!!!

Im glad you guys who only care about your lounge are not making the decision. :( Not that the Rhapsody will be here much longer, but I sure hope I get to play lots of bridge. Im sailing on her in less than a month.

I do think there are fewer and fewer bridge players, they are a dying breed. The internet and non real games are taking over. Lets not be in such a rush to herd us out of your way.

I'm with you firefly! And we're not alone. On our cruise on Rhapsody in October the card room was a very popular place. In fact, every time we attempted to go in there with some new friends we made onboard we could never find a free table.

I have never used the card room but I have noticed it is always busy, maybe this is why they decided not to pull it.

It would be a little late to add a lounge now, they would not want to be going thru that major of a conversion while the ship is sailing and since she just came out of drydock I cant see it happening. Also Asia is a new market for them so maybe they feel that it wont be needed on her.

I sure wish Rhapsody was staying too.

I am from Ohio, where we learned euchre, but I have not seen it played on any of the cruise ships. Im sure if someone refreshed the rules for me it would come back fast. Ill play any kind of cards.

btw, I even took the trouble to write to Princess of my dissatisfaction with their choice to put all the card players in the painted dessert card room. And I was one of the least upset of those who were complaining. Its doesnt do any good to just complain to each other, so I took the time to write how I felt about being shuffled off to the restaurant and the lack of cards etc.

I love playing cards and look forward to playing on board Rhapsody in about a month.

Its not that I dont have sympathy for those who want a lounge, I just dont want the card room sacrificed. One of my favorite places on a ship.

I've never played Euchre. Growing up in East Texas it seemed like the big thing to play was 42. As a teenager I had some friends that loved to play Bridge and taught it to me. But as a teenager I hated it. Let's face it, Bridge makes a terrible drinking game. :p It's hard to make good bids if you aren't thinking clearly.

Now when my family gets together we tend to play Peanut. It is a wild mass solitaire game (similar to Klondike) that is played in pairs. Each pair has their own deck of cards and everyone plays off of the stacks in the middle of the table. It can get very rowdy with everyone trying to slap their cards down in the middle at the same time. The first one to empty their hand shouts, "Peanut".

I have a feeling that if we ever tried to play that game in the card room the Bridge players would run us out on a rail. And with good reason. :D

• 1 month later...
We just got off the Rhapsody this morning (March 4th). The ship was great for our cruise, but was so unfortunate for Feb 18th cruise (1st cruise after dry dock).

The Windjammer was closed on Sunday, but opened up for full service on Monday breakfast. They finished final renovations, I believe, on Friday.

The elevators were a problem during the cruise, long waits, I got stuck in one for a few minutes, etc.

The new linens were nice, but I am concerned as the new comforter is white (how long will it stay looking new?). I wasn't overly pleased with the new mattresses, but I've slept on worse.

It is unfortunate that RCC only gave cruisers $20 credit for their inconveniences.

The RCC singers & dancers put on 2 great shows. I really enjoyed "Pure Country" on Saturday night. We also enjoyed the magician, as he was quite the comedian as well. Of course Dominque Allen was, once again, fabulous!

what you thought was a white comforter is a duvet cover. Its like a big washable envelope that holds the comforter.. :D Always clean and fresh!

I agree with others who traveled last week, although we personally encountered more problems as Maddle is aware.

1. Frist, we were in an OS and there was no sewage smell.

2. Our OS had a piece of plywood over a 3 sq. ft. section of the marble floor that was either damaged, or had been repaired and covered to protect it. Tacky at best.

3. The OS was supposed to have a DVD player. One of many reasons I booked the OS. Now you are probably asking why is that so important. My Mother, who is celebrating her birthday this month, uses a walker and quite often (3 times during the cruise) will retire to the suite in the late afternoon and watch a movie. Our suite attendant was Dwight Prentice who was great. After bringing the lack of a DVD player to his attention on the day of departure (BTW, the loose cables were there but no DVD player) he told us that the DVD player had been stolen and that he would try to get a replacement. On the second full day of the cruise, still no DVD player and I went to the pursers desk in the morning and asked that they get one at best buy in KW if necessary. That afternoon I stopped back by the purser’s desk to inquire as to the status and they said there was no note in my record. The purser on duty said he would have the one from his cabin taken to our suite for our use and it would be done by 4 PM. I thought that was very nice. 6 PM no DVD player. Back to pursers office for round 4 which resulted in DVD player in our room within a half hour.

4. Due to my mothers mobility issues and always having to use the elevators and handicapped restrooms, there were numerous issues encountered in both of these areas.

Bathrooms... On Tuesday we had to venture to 4 different decks to find a handicap accessible bathroom that was working. This is easy for you and me, but not for someone who uses a walker and moves very slowly. On 4 separate occasions the handicap restroom on deck 9 by the Windjammer was out of service. On one occasion from 9 AM until well after 4 PM despite my calling the purser's office 3 times requesting maintenance.

Elevators... Out of the 2 glass elevators that service the Viking crown lounge, only one was working as the other one was out of service the whole week. The one that was working would not stop at deck 8, the button was always lit but it never stopped there. Being in an OS on deck 8 that caused problems. Also regarding the Centrum elevators the elevator call buttons on all deck locate on the port side would not stay on. You had to walk over to the starboard side buttons or keep your finger on the port side button. The last couple days 1 of the 3 forward elevators (servicing the Windjammer and theatre) were out of service.

In addition there was some trim framework missing on the exterior Plexiglas walls on deck ten (starboard side near fitness center). Also quite a few light fixtures missing with loose taped up wiring at about waist level on same deck (this would be a big code violation in most US jurisdictions).

So while there were some annoying things, some of which impacted us greatly (inoperable bathrooms), we still had a great cruise, warm weather and the service by the front line staff was stellar. There are some management and maintenance issues that need to be addressed. And support of the front line staff failed in a couple areas. While the Windjammer was open they still had some finishing touches to complete.

There were reports of some cabins being without water on several occasions. That might be related to the leaks that both Maddle and I experienced (from above). Maddle on 3 occasions in their bathroom, and we experienced it on 1 occasion in the bedroom. Maintenance staff was very responsive in our case, leaving us note and volunteering to dry clean (?) shoes that got wet. We just let them air dry.

I think if they work hard they should have most of these issues taken care of in a few weeks.

BTW, other than the shows usually starting late, they were excellent.

When did you go??? it was perfect for the March 11th sailing ???

Just anxious to hear how their week is going and if the Windjammer is open, pools open, elevators working etc!!! Hope they are having better luck than last weeks cruise! We Leave Sunday!

Everything is fine...don`t worry have a good time !!!!:)

Hi just wondering if anyone on this cruise brought any wine etc in their checked luggage and had a problem? If not what did you bring? Or did you have any problems with your luggage? Thank you so much. :)

We carried wine in a tote bag...full view...no problem !!:) only one bottle.

We got off Sunday. A few elevator problems (one elevator not working, stuck on deck 2), but nothing else and no big problems except slow disembarking. took us 20 minutes to get on the elevator at 7 a.m. to do the self assist walk off, the elevators were constantly full and we cant do steps.

I didnt see Rhapsody before, but the pools are beautiful and the ship looked great to me.

We loved Glenn Smith's show. Nothing to complain of, good cruise.

Yes, my two bottles of wine were taken out of my luggage last week too along with a bottle of rum. I wish I had tried my carry-on for one of the bottles; as the screener really looked bored and I was surprised to get a couple cans of beer through. A couple of bartenders told me it was the last week for RCI to confiscate it but who knows. I stated in my comments to RCI that I had no intention of sailing with them again and will take my business elsewhere in the future.

Archived