White River Tubing and Snakes

abq_girl

My friends and I will be in Ocho Rios in September and we want to do the White River Tubing, but we are wondering if there any water snakes down there. This may be a really silly question, but personally I am deathly afraid :eek: of them and I could panic if I saw one.

So to anyone who has done the tubing, did you see any, or hear stories of them being down there?

Thanks for all your input! :)

yuck, yuck... we've tubed in Ocho Rios & Belize and never saw snakes. I would personally FREAK (and I'm well into middle age but can't even deal with a grass snake in my yard here in Florida and there are lots of them.) I've never heard of anyone who has seen one in the water, but I know that they must be there :eek: . As the guide in Belize told us, "A$$ Up" and you'll be fine!

Snakes. Hate snakes.

But, did the White River tubing last week and didn't see any. I don't think the river is great habitat for them. Runs too swift and is a little cold. And your river fearless river guides would take care of them anyway. Besides, it's Jamaica, not the Amazon -- more likely to catch a whiff of ganja than see a snake.

This trip was a lot of fun. We booked through Island Marketing and had no problems or regrets. Have fun.

My friends and I will be in Ocho Rios in September and we want to do the White River Tubing, but we are wondering if there any water snakes down there. This may be a really silly question, but personally I am deathly afraid :eek: of them and I could panic if I saw one.

So to anyone who has done the tubing, did you see any, or hear stories of them being down there?

Thanks for all your input! :)

NO SNAKES! Just a beautiful ride! Relax and enjoy!!!!:) We did!

There are no snakes in all of Jamaica! :) Just got back from Jamaica a couple of weeks ago...went with a Jamaican friend. I asked her this very question. She told me that Jamaica has no snakes whatsoever because they have an animal there that eats snakes. I'm not sure, but I think she said "mongoose" ... whatever that is. Anyway, relax, enjoy and have a good time. No worries, yea Mon! :D

That is so awesome to know there will not be any on the whole island!

You have really helped relieve my fear of this excursion, now I am really excited about doing it!

Thanks so much!!!!

There are no snakes in all of Jamaica! Just got back from Jamaica a couple of weeks ago...went with a Jamaican friend. I asked her this very question. She told me that Jamaica has no snakes whatsoever because they have an animal there that eats snakes. I'm not sure' date=' but I think she said "mongoose" ... [/color']

From: http://www.portlandbight.com.jm/Wildlife.htm#Snakes2

"Although Jamaica has several different species of snakes, none are poisonous. Portland Bight has five endemic snakes:

• The Jamaican Boa or Yellow Snake (Epicrates subflavus) Rare and Endangered
  • The Common Snake (Typhlops jamaicencis) Abundant
  • The Grass Snake (Arrhyton calillaemums) Common
  • A Thunder Snake (Trophidophis stullae) Threatened
  • A Thunder Snake (Trophidophis jamaicencis) Threatened

The two endemic thunder snakes are entirely restricted to Portland Ridge."

Oh great.....well hopefully if everyone else has said that there are not any in snakes in the river I won't be the first one to find one. I am having a hard time watching Survivor this season because of all the snakes there....

I will talk with my friends and we can go from there, I guess.

Thanks!

Archived