Buying Booze in Cozumel Please Help!

ejkj84

So there is a group of us (7) and we would all like to buy a fair amount of booze while in Cozumel. We want a good price and heard that the local shops like coz (sp) are the cheapest. However we have some concerns being that you just say what you want to the guy and the counter and we all dont know exactly what we want. Also we are a group of girls and I dont know how safe this option would be. We also would like to buy all of our stuff before doing other activities for the day, taking it back to the ship and then going back out. Unless, are there any places that take the stuff and put it back on your ship for you? A few years ago I remember buying stuff in caymen Islands that did this.

Our ship is the fantasy and I think the port is the one away from most of the shops. So basicly my question is do you think it is worth the hassel and will we save enough money worth going into town twice to get our beverages. I quess our other options would be to buy it on the ship or right at the pier. Any Insight?

I always buy tequila when we are in Cozumel on "land" vacations, but not specifically for the prices, but because there are brands that are not available in the states. Try Los Cincos Soles, it should be on your shopping map, they give free tasting samples. One of my favorite tequilas not available in the US is Revolucion. ;) If you are ever buying liquor as gifts, these make unique ones since they can't be easily duplicated.

I'd just like to add that as a girl I've never felt scared to buy liquor in Cozumel. I mean, any type of vendor could possibly hound you....I find them more aggressive when it comes to jewelry. I've been buying in Cozumel since I was 18, and even earlier this year it was just me & my 16-year-old sister shopping & we did just fine! :)

Head over to Chedraui, the local supermarket. They probably have the best local price. Cheaper than the "duty-free" stores and plenty of selection of "Made in Mexico" alcohols. They also have a pharmacy and have set prices. No need to haggle. No need to worry about quality.

Short answer is no, you will not save that much by buying in Coz

And the long answere is YES you will save plenty by buying it in Cozumel.

Go to COVI at 30th Ave and 2nd Street. They are the distributors for the island. An example is Corralejo Reposada tequila. At Covi it is $22 for a liter. At the shops along the beach it is $35. In the US, it is $70.

If the Fantasy docks at the Punta Langosta pier, then it is a $6 each way taxi ride. If you tender into the Puerta Maya pier, then it is a $10 each way taxi ride. Since you are splitting the cab with others, it will bring your cost down.

You can also try Chedrau supermarket on Melgar just south of downtown. There is also another liquor store on 30th Ave in a red building but I cant think of the name of it at the moment.

Also the ship will price match. I found a bottle of Kahlua for $8.90 for a liter. The price on ship is $12.95. I took a photo of the price and bottle. This kept me from having to lug it around.

Dave

What if we just want regular stuff that you can get in the United States, but for cheaper. Things like absolut and Bicardi. In the Cayman Island I remember them being like $8 a bottle with a 10% discount if you bought 6. Are there deals like that anywhere, or should we just stick to the stores onbaord?

What if we just want regular stuff that you can get in the United States, but for cheaper. Things like absolut and Bicardi. In the Cayman Island I remember them being like $8 a bottle with a 10% discount if you bought 6. Are there deals like that anywhere, or should we just stick to the stores onbaord?

You will find that the pricing onboard on some things are reasonable. Cruzan rums onboard are 4 for $27.95. Sheridans is $22.95. Crown Royal is 2 for $32.95. These are for 1 liter bottles. I dont have the price list with me to give you other totals.

Dave

And the long answere is YES you will save plenty by buying it in Cozumel.

Go to COVI at 30th Ave and 2nd Street. They are the distributors for the island. An example is Corralejo Reposada tequila. At Covi it is $22 for a liter. At the shops along the beach it is $35. In the US, it is $70.

If the Fantasy docks at the Punta Langosta pier, then it is a $6 each way taxi ride. If you tender into the Puerta Maya pier, then it is a $10 each way taxi ride. Since you are splitting the cab with others, it will bring your cost down.

You can also try Chedrau supermarket on Melgar just south of downtown. There is also another liquor store on 30th Ave in a red building but I cant think of the name of it at the moment.

Also the ship will price match. I found a bottle of Kahlua for $8.90 for a liter. The price on ship is $12.95. I took a photo of the price and bottle. This kept me from having to lug it around.

Dave

:) Wow that is a great tip about the price matching. I always have my phone so I can just snap away and not have to carry it.

• 1 year later...
this is an old post but I am wondering in anyone has any recent information on local markets in cozumel to buy some good liquer,thanks

There is a new store, Mega, 3 blocks north of Chedruai on Melgar across the street from the Barracuda Hotel. -- Think super WalMart -- clean, very large, inexpensive.

Walking distance from Punta Langosta pier, cab ride from Puerta Maya pier.

• 2 weeks later...

Whereever you buy be careful of the bottles with the handmade corks. We spent $50 on a bottle then checkced it in at the ship. By the time we got it back much of it had leaked out, even though it was still sealed because the cork did not fit tight. Also they did not wrap it very well for us - and this was a ship recommended place!

Also watch the ships - They allowed one of our $100 bottles to roll off the belt they make you put it on when entering the ship. Then the guy would not acknowledge us. It took the whole trip and many desks down to the front desk to get reimbursed. Get to know the guy that does the shopping seminars. He was the most helpful.

I would look at either the new Mega store, which has a large selection at good prices or Chedraui. Both are near the center and are self service so you dont have to worry about what to tell a clerk.

I found Ched to have a good variety of Tequila, but they did not carry Controy! I was not too happy about that, but I made due. The fact that a kilo of limes was 6 pesos made up for that for the most part. :p

Archived