Christmas time cruise-Amalegro-12/8-16

boballen

Anyone else on board? we are taking about 36 people from the Ventura area.

it's our first time on a River Cruise and we look forward to it!

any news when the Amalegro will be finished (if it hasent already)?

boballen,

Check this board for Amadagio Christmas Time cruises as a few on this board have been on last year.

The Amalegro should be finished within a couple of days as the first cruise is starting March 18th.

steamboats

Anyone else on board? we are taking about 36 people from the Ventura area.

it's our first time on a River Cruise and we look forward to it!

any news when the Amalegro will be finished (if it hasent already)?

boballen -

Your group should have a wonderful time. My wife and I did the Christmas Markets cruise on the Amadagio last December. While snow was minimal, Christmas spirit and festivities throughout the tour made the experience memorable. Use the search function to look for posts re: Christmas Markets and Amadagio to find lots of descriptions.

I posted photos of the cruise on:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwito...nubeBendVienna

My other albums at that site contain video clips and other photos of the cruise.

Thank you Wit and Steamboats. you guys are SOOO helpful!! a question for anyone that's been on the lower level of the amadagio. Is the window or a portion of it actually under water?

thanks

Bob

Thank you Wit and Steamboats. you guys are SOOO helpful!! a question for anyone that's been on the lower level of the amadagio. Is the window or a portion of it actually under water?

thanks

Bob

Bob - I checked my photos and it looks like the window of the lower level is above water. The top two levels have the French balcony (full door slides open but nothing to step out on). I have these in a different web album at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski/AmadeusDanubeChristmasMarkts

WIT

WIT and Bob,

I don´t think so. Most of the river cruise ships can take on river water to lower the total height of the ship. This might be used on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal because of a couple of very low bridges. But usually the windows should be inches above the waterline. You might face a concrete wall when docked.

steamboats

WIT and Bob,

I don´t think so. Most of the river cruise ships can take on river water to lower the total height of the ship. This might be used on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal because of a couple of very low bridges. But usually the windows should be inches above the waterline. You might face a concrete wall when docked.

steamboats

The Amadagio (and also the Amalegro, I presume) also lower the main control room to pass under bridges. Here a photo of Amadagio's Captain checking the ship's clearance:

100_1135_1.jpg.829b9224eb9bface01b7a7dc72e122d4.jpg

Yes,

All river cruise ships can (and have to) lower their pilot houses. Never saw this type of flap opening to the roof. The MS Mozart has some sort of wing bridge which is lowered and has controls to steer the ship. In addition to that all stuff on the sundeck can be flattened down too. There´s one very low bridge on the Canal between Kehlheim and Riedenburg. I´ve been there on a local excursion boat and they made an announcment that everyone has to stay seated and "please, do not reach out and try to touch the bridge!". Why, this attempt may knock you off the boat or cause severe injuries because the boat is approaching the bridge with some kind of speed which is underestimated by the passengers.

steamboats

PS: Check our photo gallery for a photo of the captain on the wing bridge (sorry, no direct link available)

http://www.rivers-rails.com/boats-mozart.shtml

Archived