Any tips on things to do right before you leave?

jpinkston

We sail out on March 18th - any last minute things we should think of? I've researched these boards pretty well but just want to be sure I haven't missed anything. Maybe your suggestion on a "must-take" item or something that is good to do before you leave or a good way to organize your stuff. I've got a list of what to pack, etc. but don't feel like I have a good one of things to take care of before we leave. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have! :cool:

Must take Item- Collapsable duffle bag.

When you get to the airport on the way to the ship open your luggage and take all the things you need before 6pm. I grabbed the bathroom stuff(larger then carryon allows) and some comfy clothes.

Some last minute packing tips I've placed on my list to do.

1) Papers, make sure you can find them fast.

2) Binoculars. I forgot to pack them the last two trips, and of course missed them when I wanted them.

3) Batteries. It seems to take forever to recharge the rechargeable one when you need them. Most electronic devices will accept regular batteres, it's a good idea to pack them too for instant power.

My list is short, but these are my packing woes.

Right before we leave for the port, we do the following:

Look at each other and :) and remember that we have entered the "stress-free" zone - that the trip that we have planned for 9 months is finally here and we can sit back and relax..........

My tip is double and triple check you have the needed paperwork Docs, passport, picture ID. These are really the only must have's to get on a ship or plane.

Don't forget the same duffle bag that electricron talked about you will need that the last day to put in the stuff you didn't pack the evening before. Also leave cloths out to wear off the ship.

Stop mail & newspapers, and set up anything else you need to leave the house, timer, cat sitter, someone to keep an eye on things. Whatever you need to do.

# 1 thing leave all the worries home and have a great time!!

If you are going to be using a credit card or debit card out of the country, call your bank before you leave and let them know. Otherwise they may think your card has been stolen when they see unusual charges, and put a hold on it.

And along the same lines, take the phone numbers for your credit card co/bank and keep them separate from your cards so you can call if one is lost. Also take cards from different accounts so that if one does get lost you can still use the other one.

Have a great trip!

I would suggest putting swim suits and flip flops in your carry on bag. And sun screen if airlines are allowing it now. Your luggage will take some time to arrive in your stateroom - often hours. There you are on the boat and can't enjoy lounging by the pool in the wonderful warm sunshine.

Make sure your house is secure and you have someone come over and check. Two years ago we sailed the Dawn on the best cruise that we had ever taken. Upon sailing into the NY port, we called relatives who told us that someone had kicked in our back door and robbed us. What a crummy end to a great cruise.

They caught the jerks and they are serving time. We had to take another cruise the next year to take the bad taste out of our mouth.

I always make a huge "to do" list a few weeks before my trip. Some of the things I do are:

1. Check to make sure all of my bills are paid to avoid late charges while I'm away.

2. Water the plants

3. Leave out instructions and an emergency contact list for my house-sitter-- get house key to her.

4. Unplug most electrical items (they suck up juice even if they're turned off)

5. Turn the heat down

6. Make sure the washing machine hoses are turned off

7. Put an "out of the office" voice message on my answering machine at work

8. Double check that I have my housekeys, passport, credit card, some cash

9. Confirm with car service to airport/port

10. Eat, drink, give away, or throw out things that will expire in refrigerator (like milk, cold cuts, etc) You don't want a furry sour mess when you return!

11. Print out tips on excursions, museums, places to eat, etc from C.C!

My mother taught me this valuable lesson:

If you have your identification and your medication, you can go anywhere! Anything else you forget is replaceable. Inconveninent, maybe but replaceable, so you don't have to sweat it if you forget it.

Here's my own tip: On Vacation Eve, stick a checklist on the door you leave out of. Put on it all the things you worry about forgetting, or any other notes like "Leave all worries behind!" So its the last thing you see before you get in the car.

Here's mine: In the school supply section of any big store, buy a notebook with the zipper around the edges (like a Mead Trapper-Keeper) and some clear plastic sheets to go in it. The one I bought has a mesh, zippered compartment in the inside front. Then put all your paperwork in the order in which you think you'll need it and put it in your carry-on bag. Mine went something like this: passports for DH, 3 kids and me in zipper compartment. Plastic sheets, each one with separate types of papers, starting with Boarding passes for airlin. Ship tickets. Permission forms (notarized) for my nephew, who went with us. Airline confirmation sheet. Rental car confirmation. Mapquest directions. Hotel confirmation. Trip insurance papers. Then a shore excursion section with information on everything I pre-booked. Photocopies of everyone's passports (took the photocopies on excursions and left the passports in the cabin safe.)

This worked great for me because I never had to fumble around for things and I could see that everything was with me.

Have a great cruise!

Barb

If you're a "high maintenance" woman like me :p , you'll need a power strip for hair dryer, flat iron, etc. as cabins only have 1 outlet. Also, you may want to take a small clock if you're like us and obsessed with knowing what time it is! Most of all, leave all your worries at home!!!

Get one of those plastic shoe bag holders that hang on the door. We put it in the bathroom and you have instant storage for hairbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, elastics for hair, etc. Has always worked out great for us.

Double check you have all your bags in the car before heading for the airport. We were both putting things in the car and then got sidetracked with closing blinds, etc. that we forgot 2 bags. :eek: Luckily remembered them before we got too far.

I like the idea of putting a post-it on the garage door to check off last minute and easy to forget items. Making copies of your passports is a great idea, too. They did that for us in Reception on the last cruise.

Getting to the airport, traveling and rushing for connecting flights, maybe settling into a precruise hotel and embarkment is a hassle, but it's all worth it! Relax and have fun!

Taking that binder with all your infor- Great!

PLUS

you can put you photos that the cruiseline takes into the binder - and they won't bend as well as your daily's or any menus you can get

Now to search through the kids stuff ofr an "old" binder they uses for a month! :D

Have all your travel stuff in a folder or preferably a pouch you can zip that can be easily taken out of your carry-on bag. It'll probably be too big for your purse. Oh, that reminds me, have a small purse that you can slip into your carry-on bag so you're not juggling more than 1 bag going through everything, check-in, security, etc.

Thanks again for all the help! I've got my last minute to-do list started and am already working on a lot of what was mentioned. I got a document/passport wallet at Target this weekend for $2.50! 12 days to go!

Archived