Questions about the 9-Night VOS out of NJ

Thanks to all who can provide info...

-What is the best strategy for easy going in and out of the pier. We have a motel room booked near the pier, and we're wondering if its best to leave the car at the pier for 9 days or to rent a limo/taxi?? For those who have done either, how hassle free was your embarkation/disembarkation??

-Was it difficult to get reservations at Portofino's. I have heard Caribbean night is the best night to go, will the planner let us know which night that will be at the beginning of the cruise. For those who did make reservations, how was Portifino's?? What did you eat, and was it worth the extra 20?

-How were the shows on the ship? Were there any headlines who should not be missed?

-Finally, any other info that would be useful about this cruise would be greatly appreciated......leaving on the 13th and can't wait

We drove and parked, $108 for the 9 nites which you can pay in advance and by credit card if you like. What a pleasure. Drop off the luggage, park the car, check in, shuttle to the ship and on. From what I have seen and what I have read, the lines for taxi's and pre arranged transportation is lengthy. At disembarkation our skycap took our luggage to an area distinct from the masses which I believe is desginated as the area for those who park, and DH went to get the car and we loaded our luggage and were gone in 10 minutes. Comming and going it was a pleasure.

Portofino's was disappointing for us since we found the Portofino's menu and service on AOS this past March markedly better. I am unsure if it is fleetwide since I haven't read it at all, but the lobster which we enjoyed so much in March is not on the VOS menu, but that is not to say the Saltimbocca was shabby because it was wonderful. Little things were amiss that definatly should not be for this venue. It is worth the $20 IMHO, we went twice, and yes, Tuesday Carribean night is the prefered night to go. Book as soon as you get to the ship up on deck 11.

We did not go to all of the shows, the Ice Show is a must see. They have several options which you will find in your compass and two more at the end of the week. While I wasn't able to make it I heard the adult commedian, which is one night at 11:30 or so was a riot. So if you make it that late after some terrifficly hot days in the tropics, good for you!

The Champage Bar has nightly specials alternating for Martinis and Champange drinks. They serve hot hor'dourves and it is delightful. We had late seating and enjoyed the cocktails before dinner here.

If you are looking for fresh omeletes in the morning at the buffet, in the Island Grille you will find them. In the afternoon we liked the coffee bar in the Promendade a cup of pick me up and the big breadsticks. One day they had a Brie and Tomato sandwich on a Ciabatta roll and I was in heaven. They have a nice selection of croissant sandwiches and coookies and pizza there if you want to skip the windjammer snack fare at 4:00 for a change.

Labadee if you have never been is very nice. Get there early and find a place in the shade, it is very hot. If you want the sun you can stand in the water or float on a mat while staying cool. I can only repeat it is hot.

The best part of this trip for me was the first two days were seas days and by day two I was really starting to relax and enjoy the trip. The ship is stable and handles very well. I hope you have a great time when you go.

Archived