Car Rental in Civitavecchia

smoothsailors

Has anyone had experience picking up a rental car when they disembarked at the Civitavecchia pier?

We've reserved a car from Hertz at the end of our June 12th Prinsendam cruise...the agency is located very close to the port entrance, but we will have considerable luggage. If I go to get the vehicle, will I be allowed back into the dock area to pick-up my husband and our luggage? Or will I be able to get a porter to bring our luggage to the port entrance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As long as no one else is answering you: my guess is that you would be allowed to drive in to wherever the taxis go, or other private cars picking up friends. Have you tried asking if the rental company could deliver the car to the dock as is done in many ports in this country?

We're planning to stay at the Castello della Casteluccia, just outside of Rome, and spend a few days touring the closer towns of Umbria before returning from Fiumicino. The rental rate for a comfortably-sized automatic was high but we balanced it against private transport from pier/Rome/airport...we've been to Rome and Tuscany before and wanted to do something different.

We're planning to stay at the Castello della Casteluccia, just outside of Rome, and spend a few days touring the closer towns of Umbria before returning from Fiumicino. The rental rate for a comfortably-sized automatic was high but we balanced it against private transport from pier/Rome/airport...we've been to Rome and Tuscany before and wanted to do something different.

Sounds fabulous. I was hoping you were not planning on driving into Rome.

We rented a car at the end of our Noordam cruise last summer. We used webcarhire.com - got a great price. They are a car broker and we picked up the car from AutoEurope. The price quoted by webcarhire was a lot cheaper than the one I got directly from AutoEurope.

I called AutoEurope and said they no longer drop cars off at the port. Maybe you will be lucky with Hertz. The other problem can be trying to get a car on a Sunday.

We were not sure exactly how we were going to pick up the car until someone on board told us the port runs a free shuttle bus. The Noordam docks quite a distance from the entrance to the port. 2 of us took the shuttle to the entrance to the port then had about a 10 minute walk to AutoEurope. We then drove right back to the Noordam and picked up 3 more people and the luggage. There were quite a few people doing the same as us only they took all their luggage with them on the shuttle and had a time pulled on the roads and sidewalks.

You can also get driving directions in Europe using this web site.

We were doing a lot of driving in Italy and mapped it all out at home and printed them out. As with any online directions they are not 100% perfect but a lot better than nothing.

We drove from Civ. to outside Venice spent a few days there and then west of Milan for a few more days. We then drove to Milan and dropped off the car and flew home. DH did a great job of driving while I navigated.

http://www.viamichelin.com

Sounds fabulous. I was hoping you were not planning on driving into Rome.

Many years ago, my mother and I were on a group tour to Rome. While there, we had the opportunity to fly in the Goodyear blimp, based outside Rome in Capena. I rented a car, we had the time of our lives on the blimp flight and safely returned the car, only to be chastized for not listening when the tour guide told all of us; "DO NOT RENT A CAR IN ROME!!". I really didn't hear him and I'm glad I didn't but it was a little scary.

:) Thank you all for your suggestions...and we truly appreciate the link to viamichelin maps from Foxyterrier! I've faxed the Hertz office in Civitavecchia to see if they'll pick us up at the dock. Otherwise, as long as it sounds possible to drive back into the port to retrieve my husband/luggage, I 'll plan to take the port shuttle bus and walk over to the Hertz depot. (NO WAY would we try to pull all our bags along!!!)

We'd never think of driving INTO Rome...but we;re very much looking forward to a little Umbrian adventure off the motorstrada! (I'm the better navigator and my husband is the more aggressive driver which should work well in Italy.)

The Castello della Castelluccia came sounded wonderful and is closer to Fiumicino for the return...we were able to reserve the tri-level suite in the medieval tower...has a private roof terrace but (we're sure) no elevator!!! Has anyone stayed there?

We were hoping to rent a car while we are docked at Civitavecchia rather than take a ship's tour. We have no interest in going into Rome as we did that two years ago but wouldn't mind driving around the countryside. We'll be in port for 14 hours. Unfortunately, we will be there on a Sunday. Please let me know if anyone knows of rentals available near the port and open on Sunday. Hertz says they are closed on Sunday for that location.

Anyone ever rented a car in Marseille or Le Havre?

Thanks,

Lynn

Many years ago, my mother and I were on a group tour to Rome. While there, we had the opportunity to fly in the Goodyear blimp, based outside Rome in Capena. I rented a car, we had the time of our lives on the blimp flight and safely returned the car, only to be chastized for not listening when the tour guide told all of us; "DO NOT RENT A CAR IN ROME!!". I really didn't hear him and I'm glad I didn't but it was a little scary.

Oh my stars, a ride in the Good Year Blimp over Rome followed by "nerves of steel" driving through Rome. You are my hero.

Have you tried Kemwell for a Sunday rental? Also, even though Hertz is closed on Sundays, they state that they can offer after-hours pick-up...you might try faxing their Civitavecchia location or ask the International desk at Hertz to request that service for you. Good luck!

We were hoping to rent a car while we are docked at Civitavecchia rather than take a ship's tour. We have no interest in going into Rome as we did that two years ago but wouldn't mind driving around the countryside. We'll be in port for 14 hours. Unfortunately, we will be there on a Sunday. Please let me know if anyone knows of rentals available near the port and open on Sunday. Hertz says they are closed on Sunday for that location.

It might be easier to hire a taxi for the day ... or other private car/driver that knows the area.

p.s. - Hi neighbor - we're just across the river in Sat Bch :)

We returned a rental car in Civitavecchia to the Hertz office that is about 50 feet from the train station. Before returning the car, we drove to the port, and dropped off our luggage (we were on a TA to Galveston). Other than finding the correct road to get to the ship's departure terminal, we had no problem with security. We just showed our boarding passes, and told the guard that we wanted to drop our luggage. After dropping the car at Hertz, we got a taxi back to the ship. They were packing multiple groups in taxis, and charging 10 E per person. This was in fall 2005.

It might be easier to hire a taxi for the day ... or other private car/driver that knows the area.

p.s. - Hi neighbor - we're just across the river in Sat Bch :)

OMG -- you are our neighbor! When is your next cruise? How long have you lived in Brevard County? Military?

~Lynn

OMG -- you are our neighbor! When is your next cruise? How long have you lived in Brevard County? Military?

~Lynn

Next cruise(s) in signature. We've been here since 1980, I worked 20 yrs for DBA Systems, Carol almost 20 for school system. If you'd like to talk more, email me! :)

Archived