Why Eggcrate foam pad on bed??

BarbMatt

[quote name='LasVegas_Qtpie']Ok, I think I got it worked out. Thanks for the help on this. WHEWWW, they could eliminate all the headache with people rushing to get their bedding situations by just simply upgrading the damn mattresses! lol

Oh, by the way.....

Princess told me that anyone requesting these should only fax a request to the SPECIAL SERVICES dept at 661-284-4885 NOT the 661-284-4745 as that is regular customer service and they handle different issues.

Thanks again for your assistance to EVERYONE on this matter! Your form was also very well organized. I used it and sent it out for us and our parents cabins as well. VERY easy![/quote]

That is very interesting info about the fax number. I faxed a request last week for the egg crate topper and extra pillows to the (661)2844745 number and the extra pillows showed up on my cruise personalizer, but not the egg crate.:confused: I'll try again with the special services fax number and see what happens.

The mattress topper will not show up until 30 days prior to your sailing, is what has been our expereinece. From what Princess has told me, they send the request to the ship at that time and until then, it will not show up on your personalizer. So as long as they got one request, they have received them all. No need to refax the request.

Princess needs to upgrade bedding and mattresses on all ships. We like Princess. We are going on a cruise in Jan. It came down to the Carib. Princess and HAL Westerdam. We decided on HAL. One of the reasons was the poor bed/bedding that we had on the Star last Dec (and we got the topper). We will cruise again on Princess but when it came down to selecting we were told that HAL has great beds so that is what we booked. Willl see, first cruise with them.

I agree, it is getting a bit ridiculous on Princess with the horrible beds they are supplying for passengers. With most of the other cruise lines, beds and their comfort, seem to be important, even on Carnival Corp related lines, but Princess seems to be the last one holding out with these terrible outdated mattresses. They went to all the trouble to supply wonderful duvets, sheets and pillows, but putting a great duvet on a nasty mattress isn't giving you much. Hopefully they will do something about this soon. We have also considered leaving Princess because of the awful sleeping conditions they provide.

[quote name='iancal']Princess needs to upgrade bedding and mattresses on all ships. We like Princess. We are going on a cruise in Jan. It came down to the Carib. Princess and HAL Westerdam. We decided on HAL. One of the reasons was the poor bed/bedding that we had on the Star last Dec (and we got the topper). We will cruise again on Princess but when it came down to selecting we were told that HAL has great beds so that is what we booked. Willl see, first cruise with them.[/quote]

I bet you love the HAL beds! wonderful!

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']No I wish, I have been in the lowly inside through our first Suite which was last May on the Island. :)

We are usually in a standard balcony so I have slept on the gammet of mattress's in all types of cabins.

When I am onboard I sleep like a rock.[/QUOTE]

Did you notice a difference in the bed in the suite compared to reg rooms?

[quote name='Celest1022']Did you notice a difference in the bed in the suite compared to reg rooms?[/quote]

Our last full suite on the Dawn, and the minis on other ships in the fleet, the beds were just as bad as any other category. Even though Princess advertises about the upgraded top of the line mattresses, I have yet to have one in any category cabin. :(

[quote name='twosunseekers']How soon can you fax the request in for the eggcrate? We are cruising in March 2008. Is now to soon to fax the request??[/quote]

I would wait until after the first of the year to fax your request. They aren't even sent to the ship (the requests) until 30 days prior to your sailing. This early, it would probably be overlooked. Try waiting until 30-60 days prior to your cruise, that is when I would fax it over. Just a suggestion of coarse!

I faxed a request to the -4745 number on 10/1, asking for extra pillows and the eggcrate. The pillows showed up under "My Special Services" before the end of the week, but the eggcrate is still not showing up there.

[quote name='ddgg']I faxed a request to the -4745 number on 10/1, asking for extra pillows and the eggcrate. The pillows showed up under "My Special Services" before the end of the week, but the eggcrate is still not showing up there.[/quote]

From what Princess has told me, the egg crate request will not show up until after the 30 day mark when the request is sent to the ship.
No worrys, my booking only shows the pillows also, check back when your cruise is closer!

[quote name='flvol77']We use to buy cheap ones off ebay and just leave them - around 50 dollars shipped - then my wife was like request a bed topper, if it works great....but we also bought an areo bed with the tempur pedic foam topper and its comfortable so we are going to take it with us just in case the topper doesn't work.[/quote]

Just an FYI - Everyone in my group got their egg crates - they are so THIN...IMO you have to almost request two or three to see any difference.

So we brought our New Aero bed with the tempur pedic topper built in....Lets just say I am glad we did because the princess beds are horrible. We loved our Aero bed, I can say that we slept better on this cruise than any other cruise we have been because of that air mattress and I have to thank my wife who MADE me buy it and MADE me take it with us.

[quote name='flvol77']Just an FYI - Everyone in my group got their egg crates - they are so THIN...IMO you have to almost request two or three to see any difference.

So we brought our New Aero bed with the tempur pedic topper built in....Lets just say I am glad we did because the princess beds are horrible. We loved our Aero bed, I can say that we slept better on this cruise than any other cruise we have been because of that air mattress and I have to thank my wife who MADE me buy it and MADE me take it with us.[/quote]

I am just wondering:
where did you put it, on top of the other bed? what did the room steward say? :eek:

[quote name='azsunshine']I am just wondering:
where did you put it, on top of the other bed? what did the room steward say? :eek:[/quote]

LOL we put it on top of the bed - it looked like a big pillow top mattress. Lets just say every room steward on caribe deck saw it. We were in C108 right down from the officers cabins and I know a few of the officers saw it because I saw them peaking in our room while our room steward was cleaning. I asked her if anyone had done that before and she said not that she knew of.

With my bad back I had to at least try something different and it worked.

[quote name='flvol77']LOL we put it on top of the bed - it looked like a big pillow top mattress. Lets just say every room steward on caribe deck saw it. We were in C108 right down from the officers cabins and I know a few of the officers saw it because I saw them peaking in our room while our room steward was cleaning. I asked her if anyone had done that before and she said not that she knew of.

With my bad back I had to at least try something different and it worked.[/quote]

Well, if we didn't have to travel so far by air, we might just try that! If enough of us did that, they might just get the message! We are on the Emerald next month, and I still deciding what to do! We both have some back issues and my husband is completing his third epidural injection 4 days before we leave.

[quote name='flvol77']Just an FYI - Everyone in my group got their egg crates - they are so THIN...IMO you have to almost request two or three to see any difference.

So we brought our New Aero bed with the tempur pedic topper built in....Lets just say I am glad we did because the princess beds are horrible. We loved our Aero bed, I can say that we slept better on this cruise than any other cruise we have been because of that air mattress and I have to thank my wife who MADE me buy it and MADE me take it with us.[/quote]

I am sure you had the most comfortable bed onboard. I wish we lived within driving distance of the port, and we would probably do the same.
Although, the double egg crate mattress pads have helped the last few cruises we have taken.

BUT...............on a side note. Isn't it ridiculous that the beds on Princess ships are so horrible that we have to end up doing something like this to make the bed good enough to sleep on? Most of the other lines have upgraded not only their bedding, but their mattresses as well. I am not sure why Princess is holding out on this and not doing anything about the absolutely terrible beds they are providing to passengers? For the first time in years, we are considering switching cruise lines, if for nothing else, the comfort of the beds. It may sound silly, but you just can't enjoy your vacation if you didn't get a good nites sleep because the beds are like camping cots. OK, off my soapbox now, but I sure wish Princess would pay attention to the passengers in this department.

We were on the Sun and the Star. I think Princess must save the mattresses when the sell or de-commission a ship. On both ships, the mattrasses were thin and had big wows in them. Trying HAL in Jan. so we will see. Cannot be much worse. When they run our of eggcrate toppers that should be a pretty good hint that something is not right.

My husband and I were on the CB last week. We had requested in our cruise personalizer to have the egg crate on our bed. When we arrived, it was there - we never faxed anything. To be honest, we found the mattress to be quite comfortable. Had not trouble sleeping on it at all. Spoke to a friend who travelled the CB two months ago, and she said the same thing - very comfortable. Maybe we got lucky, but our bed was good!!!

[quote name='TSM AND JP']My husband and I were on the CB last week. We had requested in our cruise personalizer to have the egg crate on our bed. When we arrived, it was there - we never faxed anything. To be honest, we found the mattress to be quite comfortable. Had not trouble sleeping on it at all. Spoke to a friend who travelled the CB two months ago, and she said the same thing - very comfortable. Maybe we got lucky, but our bed was good!!![/quote]

Please share with all of us where on the cruise personalizer you added this request. I have never found a place on it to request an egg crate, anywhere. :)

After reading your reply, I again went into my cruise personalizer for my next cruise, and nope, no place to request anything like this on it.

I just went back to My Princess to check, but since I have already taken my cruise - my personalizer is gone... sorry. My profile is still there, but I looked and it's not in there. I would try the fax number that people have mentioned. I thought I had requested it in my personalizer, and the egg crate was there when we arrived in our room. Either that, or my cabin steward just gave them to everyone. Needless to say, if you don't have it when you arrive, you can simply ask your cabin steward. If you have a good steward, it will be there by the time you get back to your room after having the buffet when you board. It gives your mattress that pillow top feel.

If there's not enough eggcrate pads to go around, maybe Princess needs to start selling optional eggcrate cards like soda and coffee cards and generate enough revenue (that is, tax the users) so they can afford to replace the sorry mattresses. Just a thought.:(

[quote name='TSM AND JP']I just went back to My Princess to check, but since I have already taken my cruise - my personalizer is gone... sorry. My profile is still there, but I looked and it's not in there. I would try the fax number that people have mentioned. I thought I had requested it in my personalizer, and the egg crate was there when we arrived in our room. Either that, or my cabin steward just gave them to everyone. Needless to say, if you don't have it when you arrive, you can simply ask your cabin steward. If you have a good steward, it will be there by the time you get back to your room after having the buffet when you board. It gives your mattress that pillow top feel.[/quote]

I just wondered, as in 20 Princess cruises, there has never been a place for this request on our princess personalizer and I thought it might be something new. I could just picture all the CC'ers scrambling to their personalizer looking for a place to request this and not finding it. LOL
Honestly, you must have either requested in by phone, fax, when you arrived at your stateroom, or as you said, the room steward already knew how horrible the mattresses were and beat everyone to the punch of requesting them.

[quote name='rwalls']If there's not enough eggcrate pads to go around, maybe Princess needs to start selling optional eggcrate cards like soda and coffee cards and generate enough revenue (that is, tax the users) so they can afford to replace the sorry mattresses. Just a thought.:([/quote]

OMG, don't give Princess any ideas, please. All we need is another card to purchase so we can sleep comfortably. LOL
But you know there are two things I totally agree need upgraded on Princess, one is the mattresses and the other is...............I am going to whisper this so nobody else hears and starts another long thread......[SIZE=1]COFFEE. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Shhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't want to start a riot on CC. :)[/SIZE]

[quote name='lady45']Just wondering how do they sanitize the egggrates between sailings?[/quote]

Probably the same way they sanitize the mattresses. They don't!
Hotel rooms, cruise ships, you sleep on the same mattress the previous guest slept on. Same with the egg crates. So, why would there be any difference?

Archived