Border Crossing

Hi Everyone Was wondering if anyone could tell me about a different crossing other than the 5 going into Canada. It's hard to see on the map if there is a crossing at Lynden going up the 13 to the 1. We'll be driving up to Vancouver from New Mexico for our cruise and staying in Langley before the cruise. Just couldn't talk my DH into staying at Sutton Place:D

Eileen

There are several border crossings all along the international boundary between British Columbia and Washington State including on the highway north of Lynden so you should have no problem. You could check the website of the Canada Border Services Agency or if you were to call any U.S. Customs office they could confirm the existence and hours the crossing is open.

THERE is a border crossing at Sumas washington that is open 24 hrs. that takes you into abbotsford b.c.

the Lyndon crossing is not 24 hrs

short drive to Langely from there

Hi Everyone Was wondering if anyone could tell me about a different crossing other than the 5 going into Canada. It's hard to see on the map if there is a crossing at Lynden going up the 13 to the 1. We'll be driving up to Vancouver from New Mexico for our cruise and staying in Langley before the cruise. Just couldn't talk my DH into staying at Sutton Place:D

Eileen

I assume you are talking about Lynden, WA.

There are a LOT of crossings, the closest one to Lynden is on the 539 (aka Guide Meridian Road.) It becomes the 13 (Aldergrove-Bellingham Highway). Here's a Google Map which you can use to get turn by turn directions.

If you want to avoid going through the main crossing, just add a location on the way of the direction that you want to go, like Aldergrove, BC.

If you are coming up the coast you can certainly leave the freeway at Bellingham and take the Guide Meridian to Aldergrove crossing (Canadian name) Lynden Wa. It has limited hours and opens at 8 AM I'm not sure when it closes. It's a much smaller crossing. Sumas Wa. is further east and open 24 hrs. You would be back tracking after getting into Canada about 10 Miles.

If you come up the middle of Wa. There is a crossing at Orville Wa. into the Okanogan Valley. Might be a more senic way to do it coming from NM. Few freeways though.

There is also another major crossing just to the east of I-5. Pacific Crossing

(deals with all the trucks) but cars use it also.

AM 730 or 1130 have the border waits and you can pick the stations up in lots of time to get info when coming North.

Thank you all for your info. The Aldergrove crossing looks good but then the Sumas one does also. I much prefer taking the side roads whenever posssible instead of major highways. Our plan is to spend Sat night in Seattle and then Sun night in Langley. Again thank you for your help.

Eileen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eileen,

Sorry to come in here so late and after you've replied, but I concur that the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing is the one to take. The other ones (Peace Arch, Pac-Hwy. truck crossing) are just too busy. If you hit it right (or wrong!) you certainly could be in line there for several hours. The Aldergrove/Lynden crossing (hours are 8 am - midnight) is just outside of Langley - a short drive and you will probably be at your friends' house soon after. The Abbotsford/Sumas crossing is an option, but it is further away from Langley and I personally feel this is not the best way to go. You're going out of your way if you go to that one. It's a much smaller border crossing, although it is 24 hours.

Have a great cruise! Not much longer now. :)

I don't think you will have any problems at Aldergrove.....but

use the radio statioins I have listed. I pass that crossing twice everyweek almost and South Bound especially lately seems to have a lineup further than all the others. North Bound is usually better and like I said should be OK.

And The Sumas crossing is much larger than Aldergrove. Just keep that in mind. It is a bit of a detour as stated but sometimes way better as far as time.

Archived