Kapoho or ?? regarding Day Spa in Hilo Side

SweetEmi

A thought just crossed my mind and I thought maybe in addition to my usual trip to Wal-Mart for bottled water when the ship stops in Hilo - I may do something to pamper myself like go to a Day Spa. Do you know of anything like that I might be able to check out? Or maybe a spa at one of the hotels? I'm not a big fan of massage but it may be fun to get a facial or manicure....something like that. *smile*

Emi

I really don't know anything about day spa, but since no one else answered this and it's falling to the bottom I did a search for you and found two

Aloha Healing Way

400 Hualani Suite 325

Hilo, HI 96720

898-934-8442

Aromatherapy, massage, facials, Reiki, crystal therapy, hypnotherapy, complete body alignment, reflexology, spiritual counseling, palm reading, more.

Inner Balance Day Spa

94 Kamehameha Ave Ste 4

Hilo, HI 96720

808-935-6022

innerbalancelmt@aol.com

Award winning spa and therapists. We offer natural spa treatments using only 100% organic supplies. Experience our unique atmosphere and professional staff as you relax and enjoy.

Aloha Emi....

Wish I could help you out here, but I have never treated myself to a spa day. I am sure there are some in Hilo, but I would have to ask around to find out if any are better than the others. My husband enjoys a massage now and then, but there are tons of folks who just operate out of their homes out here....so no need to head into Hilo! I will keep you in mind though...and let you know if I come up with anything.

Hey, thanks Mike and Kapoho...If anything comes up let me know. I'll check out the ones you found Mike and just go from there.

I was thinking maybe I'd just take the free shuttle to the mall and get my nails done or something - close enough, yeah??? hehehehehehehe

Emi

So there's a shuttle from the pier to a mall in Hilo? That's cool.

How far is Wal-Mart from the pier and is there ree transportation? I like to check out Wal-Mart for Hawaiian attire and maybe a swim suit.

Are there any "must see's" in the area near the pier? I have a long plane flight the day before Hilo, so I don't really want to do anything big. But it's my niece's first trip to Hawaii and I don't want her to miss something spectacular.

Linda

If you take the shuttle to the mall....there is a nice salon in Macy's. I have a friend who gets a pedicure there each time she has to take her car in for service. The car dealership has a free shuttle...so she asks them to drop her at Macy's at the mall...and then treats herself to a manicure/pedicure/and or hair process to pass the time. The last pedicure she got...French...was beautiful!! I have had my hair cut there....and I was more than pleased. Have fun!!

Linda, There is a free shuttle from the ship to Hilo Hatties and to Wal-Mart in Hilo but they are just across the street from one another so you can take either one and then walk to the other. The mall is in the same parking lot as Hilo Hatties so again, you can walk to the mall from either shuttle though it is closer to the Hilo Hatties one.

Wal-Mart does have a good selection of souvenirs (at least on the Kona side and I'm assuming the Hilo side too) and of course there are lots of bathing suits and such. I've made it a practice to go there and stock up on bottled water for the cruise since it is so expensive to buy it by the bottle on the ship.

As to right by the pier in Hilo there is really nothing much there. There may be a few shops on the main street if you walk up there but I can only remember there being a bar there...I'm sure someone else probably knows - I've just not paid that much attention. If you aren't going to go to the Volcano or one of the beautiful water falls or such while in Hilo - it is a good day to relax a little after getting some stuff done at the store. *smile*

Oh! One thing about the Hilo Harbor is that there are vendors right there in the Cruise terminal when you get off the ship and you can shop for local items and what I do is buy a $10-$15 flower arrangement for my room. It makes it very nice!! There are a couple of places to buy flowers but I know the one guy, who is the first one you will come to when you get off the ship, will hold it for you for when you get back if you purchase it while leaving the ship for the day.

Kapoho, thanks! My friend Annette and I were talking about getting a pedicure last night - so I think I may call Macy's and make an appointment for that day. I'm also going to need a haircut so I may just do it that day instead of trying to squeeze it in before we leave for the cruise.

Aloha,

Emi

• 1 month later...

I resurrected this old thread to add an update in case anyone is interested.

What I did to pamper myself in Hilo was I made an appointment for a haircut at Macy's at Prince Kuhio Mall ahead of time and couldn't get a pedicure or manicure there because that person was off the day we were there.

Then when we arrived in Hilo I took the free shuttle over to Wal-Mart and walked across the street to the mall and went and got my hair cut. Then I asked around and found out they do massages right there in the mall across from the Cinnabon store where you can get a massage for however many minutes you want. So, I got a 15 minute one on my shoulder only (which was all I really wanted anyway). Then I found Nail Trix and got a manicure and pedicure.

When that was finished I walked back across the street to Wal-Mart for some bottled water and took the free shuttle back to the ship. Worked out great for me!!

Emi

Emi....sounds like the perfect pampering day!

That free Walmart shuttle here in Hilo is really great. There is so much withing walking distance of Walmart....the mall, Borders books, Safeway, Longs Drugs, Ross, Office Max, etc. Great for cruisers who may have forgotten to pack something.

Archived