Serenade of the Seas Restaurants

Good morning to all. We have just booked out first cruise on the Serenade for the Alaska Inside Passage sailing Sept 15/07. I have read multitudes of posts on here regarding dining/dress etc. but I was hoping somebody could explain the differences between the Windjammer Cafe and I think it is the Reflections dining area on board. From what I understand the Windjammer is more casual and buffet only whereas Reflections is the more formal dining area? Am I right in thinking that Reflections has a set menu you can choose from? plus this would be the restaurant where you have the first and second seatings with other guests at your table?

Anyway, its a quiet Saturday morning in my 911 centre and I thought I would take the time to make my first post as all the prospective criminals seem to be in bed and aren't out bothering people!

Thanks for any help

Pete

South Eastern Ontario:)

Good morning to all. We have just booked out first cruise on the Serenade for the Alaska Inside Passage sailing Sept 15/07. I have read multitudes of posts on here regarding dining/dress etc. but I was hoping somebody could explain the differences between the Windjammer Cafe and I think it is the Reflections dining area on board. From what I understand the Windjammer is more casual and buffet only whereas Reflections is the more formal dining area? Am I right in thinking that Reflections has a set menu you can choose from? plus this would be the restaurant where you have the first and second seatings with other guests at your table?

Anyway, its a quiet Saturday morning in my 911 centre and I thought I would take the time to make my first post as all the prospective criminals seem to be in bed and aren't out bothering people!

Thanks for any help

Pete

South Eastern Ontario:)

Yes your assumptions are correct the Windjammer is a buffet,very casual no set times. You just walk in and grab your food on a tray. You can go up as many times as you want and get whatever quantities you want.

The dining room, for dinner has a dress code each night casual or formal and you will have the same tablemates each night. You request either early or late seating. The menu changes each night and every night there is a list of items that are always available if the things listed in the entrees don't appeal to you, these are usually a steak, salmon, chicken and pasta selections.

On the Serenade they also have two specialty restaurants called Chops, which is a elegant steakhouse and Portofino which is a more Italian restaurant both of these charge $20 per person and you must make reservations when you board.

Welcome to the boards and glad all the criminals are asleep hopefully they stay that way!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You are correct in your thoughts about the dining on the Serenade.

I am sure that you will love this ship. We have sailed her once and are sailing again in 5 weeks. :) :) :)

The menu in Reflections is a set menu with many choices. You will have appetizers, salads, soups, entrees, and desserts to choose from. If you wish more of one thing you can get it. If you don't like something you have been served, you can get something different. This is a great time to try things that you have never tasted. I didn't know that I like duck and escargot until I went on a cruise and got the opportunity to eat them without spending a LOT of money for something that I might not like.

Have fun planning!

Hi Pete,

Everything you have stated is true. The "set" menu in the dining room,however, offers many choices for each course at each meal. Also, if you do not like any of the entree choices on any given night there is always a steak, salmon, chicken, and I think some sort of pasta available every evening as well. So as you can see whether you do the buffet or the dining room, you will have many things from which to choose.

There is also the Seaview Cafe (not exactly sure when they are open) and the $20 pp Chops and Portofino's restaurants which are both excellent and well worththe extra $$$ IMO.

We have sailed Serenade twice. She is a great ship with an even greater captain (Captain George P.). Enjoy your cruise and I hope those "bad guys" sleep all day!!!!

Welcome to the boards and to RCCL. We did Alaska on the Serenade in September of 2005 and it was great. You have picked a beautiful ship for your first cruise.

Everyone is giving you good advice. Dining room, Windjammer, etc. The Seaview Cafe is a nice little secret that a lot of people never find. It is one deck up from the Windjammer, way in the back. It has odd hours, but it's worth seeking out. There is also a small cafe in the Solarium, and a coffee bar where the pastries are free when you buy a specialty coffee.

And don't forget room service! It's free, except for a nominal tip for the person who brings your order.

Archived