How do they figure out port charges?

H2O babe

We have our cruise booked and I did a lot of research on pricing before we finally booked. I still don't understand how different web sites and different TA's come up with different port charges. Wouldn't the port charges for the same cruise be the same no matter where you purchased the cruise? And while we're on it, how do they figure the "taxes" that you're charged? It really isn't a big deal, but I am curious.

Thanks veteran cruisers!

The port charges and taxes should be the same for a particular cruise, regardless of which site you are getting prices from. Some websites show the port charges and taxes as two separate charges, and others combine them, but the total should be the same.

They are not actually called "port taxes" anymore. The cruise lines call them "non commissionable" fares or taxes. This way they do not have to pay commission to the TA's on this amount. Port charges in the late eighties and early nineties were very low. I doubt that they have gone up that much since then.

I didn't think they would be real high either, which is why I wondered about 187.14 worth of charges for a 7 day Glory cruise in March 2005 for 3 ports of call---Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. A couple of web sites I checked did not list the charges as that high and I wondered if there were more "hidden" costs somewhere after I purchased the cruise online from them. I ended up going with the TA and got charged these charges and also an 80.00 "service fee" that showed up on my credit card bill as being paid to the travel agency. I also thought this was strange.

Comments?

I'd refute the $80 "service fee" on your credit card IMMEDIATELY if he/she never explained they were going to do that. If he/she gave me any guff, I'd transfer the booking to another agency on the spot. :(

There is no DEFENSE for such antics. Most likely he/she didn't think you'd notice it. The price the cruiseline quoted your TA to quote you is the total price for everything. :)

In my most humble opinion, I think the disparity on port taxes of ships going to identical ports has to do with what facilities of the port they either use or don't use. In other words, I would think that ships that use the docks would pay a different price per passenger than those ships which anchor in the harbor and tender their passengers. :confused: Maybe ships that take on fuel or water are charged a different price. Maybe they are charged differently by how long the port stay is also. :confused:

The port charges & taxes ARE the same no matter who you book with. It's not negotiable, however the cruise fare can be discounted. If you find out what the total port charges & taxes are on the sailing and subtract that from the total per person charge, then you will know what your actual cruise fare is and what kind of discount you are getting comparing it to other agencies and/or CCL's published rates. For a typical CCL 7 day Caribbean the port charges are $139 and then the taxes vary from $30-$60 depending on the ports of call being visited. Everyone is charged this regardless of age, fare, etc.

Typical CCL Caribbean/Bahamas port charges :

3 day $89

4 day $99

5 Day $119

7 day $139

The port charges & taxes ARE the same no matter who you book with. It's not negotiable

Variations should only occur if comparing quotes that do and do not include the cruise line's air arrangements as the taxes/fees on the air portion will also show up here. If one quote has air and another doesn't there will be a difference.

CruiseCo is correct.....Port Charges are the same wherever you look for pricing on any particuliar ship and sailing date, where the difference in taxes may be noticed is if you are doing an "air/sea package" with the cruiseline where the taxes will be increased vs. a "cruise only" package.

I have always been of the belief to break this down for our clients as they CANNOT SHOP the port charges and taxes but in reality, what they should be cost comparing is the "CRUISE FARE".

Okay, you guys have been very helpful here. Let me clear up a few things. I have no idea what the 80.00 service charge to the travel agency was for. She never told me. I didn't book airfare through the cruise line, so none of that 187.14 goes to airfare taxes. I'm just trying to figure out why this number is not the same number I got when I did comparison shopping through different websites. I do know what the rate is for the 8A balcony cabin guarantee I booked, so at least I could compare that. I'm not gonna stress about it, that's for sure. I will not be using this TA for my next booking. After all, by then I'll be a veteran cruiser and I'll know it all because of all my friends at CC!!!

Thanks!

The $80.00 charge could be to join their cruise club, my parents ran into that when they booked with Cruise Club of America. And there was an ad on their website that aol members got the first 30 days free and they somehow overlooked that!

I am curious. Why are you not refuting the $80 extra charge you were not aware of? Very few agents charge anything above and beyond the cruise price. I would be calling up politely asking for it to be removed. If they won't I would be calling the credit card company to say it was not authorized and you are disputing. Then I would book with another agent who was more on the up and up.

Archived