Tendering in Ketchikan??

canadiangirl77

Question - what happens if we book an excursion on our own, and we end up having to tender that port? Is there any way of getting off sooner?

My DH and DFIL have booked a fishing excursion for 630am in Alaska but not thru the cruise line. (NCL)

Any experiences??

Question - what happens if we book an excursion on our own, and we end up having to tender that port? Is there any way of getting off sooner?

My DH and DFIL have booked a fishing excursion for 630am in Alaska but not thru the cruise line. (NCL)

Any experiences??

I think you're cutting it pretty close. Is there any way you can change it to 7 AM to give yourself a little leeway?

We've done the same itinerary the past 2 years. In 2005 the NCL Star (doing the same itinerary as the Pearl this year), we docked at 6 AM and people were starting to get off at 6:30 but there were very long lines. Last year we tendered and we had an early (7 AM) excursion through NCL and it was probably a little after 6:30 before we caught a tender.

Hopefully the berthing schedule will be out soon so we can find out for sure if the Pearl will be docking or tendering in Ketchikan. It seems like last year she tendered about every 4th week.

I think you're cutting it pretty close. Is there any way you can change it to 7 AM to give yourself a little leeway?

We've done the same itinerary the past 2 years. In 2005 the NCL Star (doing the same itinerary as the Pearl this year), we docked at 6 AM and people were starting to get off at 6:30 but there were very long lines. Last year we tendered and we had an early (7 AM) excursion through NCL and it was probably a little after 6:30 before we caught a tender.

Hopefully the berthing schedule will be out soon so we can find out for sure if the Pearl will be docking or tendering in Ketchikan. It seems like last year she tendered about every 4th week.

brunolvr,

I see this is your 5th trip to Alaska. What keeps bringing you back verses another destination? I see your first two were later in the season, now you're earlier? Is there a reason or is it just happening that way for personal reasons? We are doing our first and probably only cruise to Alaska. We really have no interest in other cruises, really had no interest in cruises but really want to experience the beauty from the water.

Question.........

Through "Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska" I have the Cruise Ship calendar for 2007, listing what ships will be there, that day, along with ours. Where would one access the "berthing schedule" you refer to??

Did your vender recommend this time??? If so, then should not be a problem. But they need to know,for the best scheduling.

Tendering that early in the morning, isn't anywhere near the lines of later arrival. Plenty of people sleep in. :)

I have never failed to be off the ship in the first tenders- I am ready to go and in line/at the tender ticket area, 30 mins. prior to the posted time.

Alaska is varied and always something new to experience- EVERY TRIP. :)

I'll be on my 23rd trip there in May. :) My travel is to plenty of places.

Question.........

Through "Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska" I have the Cruise Ship calendar for 2007, listing what ships will be there, that day, along with ours. Where would one access the "berthing schedule" you refer to??

It sounds like you already have this website: http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

It is my understanding that they will be posting the berthing schedules on this website - I believe sometime in late March or early April. Keep checking back.

brunolvr,

I see this is your 5th trip to Alaska. What keeps bringing you back verses another destination? I see your first two were later in the season, now you're earlier? Is there a reason or is it just happening that way for personal reasons? We are doing our first and probably only cruise to Alaska. We really have no interest in other cruises, really had no interest in cruises but really want to experience the beauty from the water.

Curious834, we have found Alaska to be very addictive! We have no desire to go to Mexico or the Caribbean since the "sun" is not our thing.

The beauty of Alaska keeps us coming back. There is so much to see and do that it's impossible to do it in just one trip. Also, we live about 45 minutes away from the pier in Seattle so that makes it very convenient.

My ideal would be to go once early in the season, then again at the end of the season, but finances won't allow that. I think we've changed to earlier in the season because we can't wait to go! We wanted to go the end of May again this year but my husband can't get away from work any earlier than mid-June.

You want to "experience the beauty from the water"--well you're in for an experience of a lifetime!:D Hopefully you're cruising to Glacier Bay and also have a balcony cabin.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Curious834, we have found Alaska to be very addictive! We have no desire to go to Mexico or the Caribbean since the "sun" is not our thing.

The beauty of Alaska keeps us coming back. There is so much to see and do that it's impossible to do it in just one trip. Also, we live about 45 minutes away from the pier in Seattle so that makes it very convenient.

My ideal would be to go once early in the season, then again at the end of the season, but finances won't allow that. I think we've changed to earlier in the season because we can't wait to go! We wanted to go the end of May again this year but my husband can't get away from work any earlier than mid-June.

You want to "experience the beauty from the water"--well you're in for an experience of a lifetime!:D Hopefully you're cruising to Glacier Bay and also have a balcony cabin.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

We're about 3 hours away from the pier (the dry side of the mountains). Alaska has always been a dream. Glacier Bay and a balcony were a must. When I was getting serious about booking there was a sale on Guar Mini-suite or better, so I booked one. Jim probably thinks it's a late mid life crisis, but I'm having a great time planning and preparing. I'm only 1/2 packed, with 3 months to go ....

Jim lived in Alaska as a child but was too young to remember. He would prefer to go up to Anchorage. I'd like to do Denali, but with our own trailer. Another year.

We're about 3 hours away from the pier (the dry side of the mountains). Alaska has always been a dream. Glacier Bay and a balcony were a must. When I was getting serious about booking there was a sale on Guar Mini-suite or better, so I booked one. Jim probably thinks it's a late mid life crisis, but I'm having a great time planning and preparing. I'm only 1/2 packed, with 3 months to go ....

Jim lived in Alaska as a child but was too young to remember. He would prefer to go up to Anchorage. I'd like to do Denali, but with our own trailer. Another year.

Curious, we'll be eagerly waiting to hear all about your cruise since you go 2 weeks before us! You'll love your mini-suite!

We made the mistake of booking an AE (overlooking the wake) on the Star last year and now my husband is spoiled. He loves all the VIP attention & perks so he wanted another AE this year on the Pearl. Like you, we booked when NCL had a great sale going on -- I can't believe how much the prices have risen since then -- over a 40% increase and there still seems to be quite a few empty cabins!

So are you driving over to Seattle and parking in the parking garage across from the Pier?

Curious, we'll be eagerly waiting to hear all about your cruise since you go 2 weeks before us! You'll love your mini-suite!

We made the mistake of booking an AE (overlooking the wake) on the Star last year and now my husband is spoiled. He loves all the VIP attention & perks so he wanted another AE this year on the Pearl. Like you, we booked when NCL had a great sale going on -- I can't believe how much the prices have risen since then -- over a 40% increase and there still seems to be quite a few empty cabins!

So are you driving over to Seattle and parking in the parking garage across from the Pier?

We'll run over that morning unless I have unfinished shopping :-). I have a trip to Spokane in May, so will try to get everything I need at that point, otherwise I'll have to shop my way to the pier. But yes, we'll just use the parking across from the pier.

Since we're on a guarantee it's always possible we'll get an upgrade. The AE's are gone, but there are still 17 penthouse/GV's left, not that I'm counting ...

Have you done the float planes in Ketchikan? I'm looking at the Family Air Tours but have not been able to find anything good or bad on CC. I've read good things about Island Wings and will probably try them, but Family Air Tours sounds more like a small business.

Have you done the float planes in Ketchikan? I'm looking at the Family Air Tours but have not been able to find anything good or bad on CC. I've read good things about Island Wings and will probably try them, but Family Air Tours sounds more like a small business.

For clairfication, Michelle is also a small business, just her and her beautiful Beaver Plane.

For clairfication, Michelle is also a small business, just her and her beautiful Beaver Plane.

Michelle is Island Wings? That's the other option I was looking at. The prices are comparable. Family Air Tours has a 15% discount if I book by 3/15and all things being equal, I vote to save $65 :-).

Michelle is Island Wings? QUOTE]

correct :)

BQ - Have you done the Glacier and Fjords tour and the Misty Fjords. If so, would you recommend the extended tour?

I sent e-mails to Island Wings and Family Air this morning. We'll see if either is available.

BQ - Have you done the Glacier and Fjords tour and the Misty Fjords. If so, would you recommend the extended tour?

I sent e-mails to Island Wings and Family Air this morning. We'll see if either is available.

Nope, only Misty Fjords and bear tours.

Archived