South America "Around the Horn" - best ship?

shops54

Mygirlscats -

What ship were you on? We are seriously considering either a cruise around the horn or all the way to Antarctica. Many of the ships that go to Antarctica are small or even yacht sized and even though they are strong and sometimes double hulled, we are concerned about the rough seas. My perception is that the larger ships are smoother.

Thanks for your comments.

Mary Ellen,

How did you decide on January like bobnsandi I would think Nov or Dec? We are looking at 2008 but I think Dec. Do you need the visa if you start in BA, Argentina?

Looking for any more info on those of us that get seasick. I don't think my sea bands will do the job in gale force winds. I've never used anything else.

Marge

As my signature shows, we're doing the Rotterdam Antarctic cruise next January. Actually, there are a number of us going who did a CC HAL group to Hawaii last October. One of us going has done this cruise previously and loved it so much she is going again. From her earlier experience (and what others reported from recent cruises), it can be ROUGH.

Any time you have 2 bodies of water meeting (in this case, 2 BIG bodies - the Atlantic and Pacific), 'bumpyness' happens. I am one who gets seasick very easily, so for years DH has been apprehensive about our taking this itinerary even though he really would like to do so. Part of reasoning for taking this cruise, is that with this great group of CC'ers, DH will have people he knows (he's not the most outgoing ;) ) to socialize with if I'm 'under the weather' - and I won't have to worry about him being lonely (plus we're saving $ :D ). We've also learned that there is a shot (antihistamines?) that takes care of seasickness for quite some time (2 weeks??). I may fully enjoy the cruise because of 'better living through chemistry'. :rolleyes:

Marge - We didn't actually do the deciding on January. Last October we took a CC group cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam. We had a GREAT group and wanted to sail together again. One of the others (RevNeal - aka Greg) suggested this SA/Antarctica cruise and since it was something we've wanted to do, we're going. As a member of the clergy, December is a busy time for Greg, we're going in January. DH & I are very happy about the time frame. January is the (southern hemisphere) equivalent of our July. Since we're doing Antarctica, the more 'summer' the better.

I am one who gets seasick pretty easily. Part of the appeal of going with others again (I can't use the 'g' word as we're not an official CC 'g', but there are a number of us going with better pricing) is that DH will have people to 'hang' with - if I'm 'under the weather'. :rolleyes: I'll also be happier knowing he isn't lonely (he isn't the most outgoing). I have used 'the patch' and have found that it isn't 100% effective - for me at least. Ginger capsules, and the candied ginger HAL has available as we leave the dining room, do seem to work well and I've used them on their own in the past - and to supplement the patch when needed.

On the CC boards I've read about a shot (antihistamines?) that the MD on board can give to prevent seasickenss (for up to 2 weeks??). I've read that it is fairly pricey ($100?), but I'd rather pay that than be seasick. For this cruise, I'm planning on "Better cruising thru chemistry".

I'm taking the patch (or the new pill equivalent), meclizine and ginger. As we leave Argentina, I expect to visit the Doctor to see about the shot. Hopefully we'll have the 'Drake Lake' for our crossing, but I'll be prepared.

Mythbusters (Discovery channel) had a very interesting show on seasickness remedies.

Archived