ny port hotel

brovol

my wife, two small children, and i are sailing the crown out of ny on 6/26. we are driving from midwest, and have never been to ny city. we are looking for a hotel reasonably close to the port, but safe. we will need to park the car at the hotel. can anyone recommend a hotel. we are not looking for fancy. would it be practical to stay someplace outside of the city, and drive directly to the port leaving early in the morning? the ship sails on a tuesday. any ideas?

Last fall we stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express Red Hook (Brooklyn) - it's between $110-$160 per night depending on when you need it and when you book it. It was a nice hotel but the neighborhood was not so nice - we didn't want to go out at night and had pizza delivered to our room. I'm not aware of a hotel in the area where you can leave the car - you may need to park at the port (we flew in this last time). The previous time we drove in and stayed about an hour outside of NYC in NJ at a cheap hotel and parked at the port. Nothing in NY is a 'good price'.

Last fall we stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express Red Hook (Brooklyn) - it's between $110-$160 per night depending on when you need it and when you book it. It was a nice hotel but the neighborhood was not so nice - we didn't want to go out at night and had pizza delivered to our room. I'm not aware of a hotel in the area where you can leave the car - you may need to park at the port (we flew in this last time). The previous time we drove in and stayed about an hour outside of NYC in NJ at a cheap hotel and parked at the port. Nothing in NY is a 'good price'.

thank you for the info. did you stay in nj, then drive to red hook port the morning of the cruise? how long did it take to get to the peer? will i get bad traffic driving into red hook?

My family is also going on Crown out of Ny in Aug. We booked with the marriott at the Brooklyn bridge. Heard a lot of great reviews about the Hotel. It is only max 4 miles to the terminal from there ( 10 min). You would be better off parking at the cruise terminal. It is cheaper @ $18 per day. I got a great rate on the hotel, was originally $199 per night, kept checking hotel site for a sale and had rate dropped to only $159.00 per night at the marriott here is the link. Check it out and good luck.

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/

We stayed at the Marriott in Brooklyn in Oct. for our cruise on the QM2,we took cabs into the city. The area is dark at night and in the day there are nice places to visit within walking distance. Our price was not $199, I think that it depends on the time of year. Enjoy !!:)

We are driving from Ohio to NYC in June to go on the Crown. We are staying the night before in Parsippany, NJ at a Red Roof Inn for way less $$ than anything really close to the city. And it is only about a 45 minute drive to the dock. If you do some searching on hotels in New Jersey you can find some cheaper and they really are not too far to drive the morning of the cruise.

We are driving from Ohio to NYC in June to go on the Crown. We are staying the night before in Parsippany, NJ at a Red Roof Inn for way less $$ than anything really close to the city. And it is only about a 45 minute drive to the dock. If you do some searching on hotels in New Jersey you can find some cheaper and they really are not too far to drive the morning of the cruise.

great tip. i followed that idea, and booked a room at a hotel in parsippany. we will pay about half of what it would cost in ny, at a hotel which is at least as nice, with free parking. i am hoping the drive to the port in the morning from parsippany is ok. does anyone know how bad traffic will be through ny city on a tuesday morning?

My opinions only ... others may vary!

I would allow at least another hour from Parsippany to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, under the best of circumstances. (And be sure to fill you gas tank in New Jersey ... their taxes are significantly lower than elsewhere, and the savings can add up.)

(On any day other than Saturday or Sunday) From Parsippany, I would suggest getting back on I-80 East until I-280 at exit #47A. Stay on I-280 until it ends at the NJ Turnpike. Take the NJ Turnpike south to exit 13 (Goethals Bridge). Cross the Goethals into Staten Island, staying on I-278 across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn. Exit at Hamilton Ave. (exit #26). Hamilton Ave. becomes Summit St., and Summit St. becomes Imlay St. The entrance to the Cruise Terminal is at Bowne and Imlay Streets. Plenty of parking available.

(The return trip; reverse this for Saturdays and Sundays) Leave the Cruise Terminal, heading back toward Hamilton Ave. Stay underneath the elevated highway to Smith St; then, make what amounts to a U-turn, and head for your favorite river crossing. (I'll use the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel as the example, although the Brooklyn Bridge is a viable option; I don't recommend the Manhattan Bridge due to on-going construction.) Enter the tunnel, and cross into Manhattan. Bear left at the exit, then make a right turn onto West St. (This will pass the World Trade Center site.) You can continue on to the Holland Tunnel to New Jersey, although I suggest staying on West St. West St. becomes 12th Ave. Just past the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, 12th Ave. becomes NY 9A (Henry Hudson Pkwy.). Stay on this until the George Washington Bridge (I-95 west). Cross the bridge. Several miles later, I-95 splits and heads south, giving birth to I-80 west (to San Francisco).

There are many other options ..... just a couple for starters. But, remember, traffic in NYC is 7 x 24; some times are better than others. If you have never driven in Manhattan, don't try it during rush hours; save this experience for weekends.

And, enjoy the cruise!

Thanks for the info and directions, John!! We will be sure to leave the hotel with plenty of time the morning of the cruise (and get gas, too!). Driving to Brooklyn will be a new experience for us...so we want to get it right the first time :D

Thanks for the info and directions, John!! We will be sure to leave the hotel with plenty of time the morning of the cruise (and get gas, too!). Driving to Brooklyn will be a new experience for us...so we want to get it right the first time :D

I go there all the time and still never get it right, LOL. :p

Archived