Tip paid before cruise?

I'm a first time cruiser in May...

We have paid our cruise in full, but according to my dad (who has no clue what's going on about this stuff), the tips were already included and are paid for. Our TA has not been much help at all so I'm wondering if it is possible to pay the tip before hand???? I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I'll give it a go anyways. :p

Yes, you can prepay your gratuities ahead of time- that's the way we do it as $70 per week per person would be an absolute minimum for us to tip anyway. Of course, we always give cash over and above to everyone who exceeds our expectations. Your TA should be able to do this for you by calling Carnival and providing your booking number, etc. If they still seem clueless, you could always tell them that you're going to transfer your booking to Carnival direct and I'm sure they will be happy to help you. :)

Tips are not included, yet! When you go thru the initial boarding process and get a sign and sail card you will be charged $10 pre person a day tips, to be split between the service persons assigned you, (cabin steward, waiters, etc)

Yes, you can prepay your gratuities ahead of time- that's the way we do it as $70 per week per person would be an absolute minimum for us to tip anyway. Of course, we always give cash over and above to everyone who exceeds our expectations. Your TA should be able to do this for you by calling Carnival and providing your booking number, etc. If they still seem clueless, you could always tell them that you're going to transfer your booking to Carnival direct and I'm sure they will be happy to help you. :)

Well, we have already paid the tips (it was suppose to be included in our price), but I didn't' know if that was even possible. I'm sure we will end up tipping our waiter/waitress more. Is the room steward included in this???

Thanks for the help.

I'm a first time cruiser in May...

We have paid our cruise in full, but according to my dad (who has no clue what's going on about this stuff), the tips were already included and are paid for. Our TA has not been much help at all so I'm wondering if it is possible to pay the tip before hand???? I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I'll give it a go anyways. :p

I prepaid my tips. It will be ten bucks a day per person that I wont have to come up with. This way, when I get on the cruise, I can put my cash for the boat on me s&s and not have almost three hundred bucks deducted off the top. That happened on my last trip. I had no idea about the tips and was surprised when it was deducted.

Well, we have already paid the tips (it was suppose to be included in our price), but I didn't' know if that was even possible. I'm sure we will end up tipping our waiter/waitress more. Is the room steward included in this???

Thanks for the help.

I would just make sure that your booking receipt shows that under the gratuity section. Anyone could make a mistake and I've heard some crazy things that TA's have told folks before :)

Yes, the Room Steward is included in the $10 pp pd....

If you already pre-paid your tips, that will cover the your room steward, and dining team. There is no need to tip anything additional, unless you felt someone provided you with "above & beyond" service.

Happy Cruising,

-Mike

Yes... you can pre-pay your tips. Sounds like that is what you did.

A 15% TIP is automatically charged to your Sail & Sign card along with the price of the beverage (cocktails, beer, wine) when you order from any of the bars. You do not need to tip the bar staff or cocktail waiters since the TIP was automatically added.

So... in short, if you do not order room service, you do not need to TIP a penny more. You are 100% completely covered for TIPs on the cruise.

$1 TIP per room service delivery is sufficient, if you use it.

BTY... if you TIP the porters, $1 per bag is sufficient.

Have a great cruise... :)

Louisiana - There's a difference in tips being included - and prepaying tips. The wording sometimes confuses folks.

Last cruise, I opted to prepay my tips when paying for my cruise. It was much nicer than seeing that first entry on my Sail & Sign account for $70.;)

The only extra tips I gave were...

$1 to room service person for each delivery,

$1 per piece of luggage to the porter at the pier,

...and a little extra to the cabin steward and waiters the last evening of the cruise.

Louisiana - There's a difference in tips being included - and prepaying tips. The wording sometimes confuses folks.

Last cruise, I opted to prepay my tips when paying for my cruise. It was much nicer than seeing that first entry on my Sail & Sign account for $70.;)

The only extra tips I gave were...

$1 to room service person for each delivery,

$1 per piece of luggage to the porter at the pier,

...and a little extra to the cabin steward and waiters the last evening of the cruise.

Okay, so then we already prepaid our tips... and I think we'll probably end up tipping extra considering the service is awesome.

$1 TIP per room service delivery is sufficient, if you use it.

BTY... if you TIP the porters, $1 per bag is sufficient.

Have a great cruise... :)

Hey there Venture, perhaps you could explain that is your opinion only. I think the room service tip depends on what they deliver. We are a party of 5 in two rooms. I tip between $2 and $5 for each delivery, depending on what we ordered. I think it's just unreasonable to say $1 no matter what's delivered.

As to bags, we have large ones and small ones. We tip $2 for the large ones and $1 for the small ones.

Zachnlucy... your post falls under the "Dah!" category...

And don't you just sound like a little snott...

But thanks for posting the obvious... :rolleyes:

Yes... I was assuming that the OP was only staying in one cabin, and therefore delivery to one cabin.

So you had delivery to two cabins and only TIP'd $2. Simple math reduces that to $1 per cabin... but thanks for confirming that $1 for room service is adequate...:rolleyes:

It's interesting to note that Carnival and I do not share the same opinion regarding TIPing for room service. Carnival says you do not need to TIP for room servce at all, so I guess I've wrong on that one...:rolleyes:

From Carnivals site: "[$10 pp, per day] Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service."

And how ironic that Carnival and I share the same opinion on the amount to TIP a Porter...

From Carnival's site: "Guests will then give the luggage to the Porter; the customary tip for this service is $1.00 per bag."

Zachnlucy... so, from now on... I fully expect you to preface all your posts with, "In my opinion" so that folks don't get confused... :rolleyes:

Zachnlucy... your post falls under the "Dah!" category...

And don't you just sound like a little snott...

But thanks for posting the obvious...

Yes... I was assuming that the OP was only staying in one cabin, and therefore delivery to one cabin.

So you had delivery to two cabins and only TIP'd $2. Simple math reduces that to $1 per cabin... but thanks for confirming that $1 for room service is adequate...:rolleyes:

It's interesting to note that Carnival and I do not share the same opinion regarding TIPing for room service. Carnival says you do not need to TIP for room servce at all, so I guess I've wrong on that one...:rolleyes:

From Carnivals site: "[$10 pp, per day] Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service."

And how ironic that Carnival and I share the same opinion on the amount to TIP a Porter...

From Carnival's site: "Guests will then give the luggage to the Porter; the customary tip for this service is $1.00 per bag."

Zachnlucy... so, from now on... I fully expect you to preface all your posts with, "In my opinion" so that folks don't get confused... :rolleyes:

I was going ot make a comment that I wasn't that dumb to figure out the obvious, but somehow I knewe you would take care of it all. ;) Your funny! :D

Whether cruising alone or with someone, I've never tipped room service less than $2. Coffee, juice and rolls in the AM. Sandwich, deseart and milk late night. On lines that offer dining room menue for dinner, at least $5. I think it is reasonable and right to pay for how much is ordered and for how many people. That's the way a tip is based in a land restaurant.

We always tip room service $2.00 ( morning coffee. toast & juice) And we leave $5.00 on the pillow each morning for our steward. I wish I could get a maid to do this for me at home for $5.00~;)

We also tip when served at poolside! I guess it's just the way I am, being from a family of waitresses and hairdressers, Who depend on their tips!

Maddie

We also tip when served at poolside!

Maddie, do you realize that you're double-tipping whoever serves you at poolside? They don't serve food there - and a 15% gratuity is already added to all drink orders.

Maddie, do you realize that you're double-tipping whoever serves you at poolside? They don't serve food there - and a 15% gratuity is already added to all drink orders.

Hmmmmmm!!!! You're right....... I'm just so use to tipping for service that I never really thought about it!!!! Maybe Ill hold back tipping at poolside unless they do something real special for us!:D

Thanks,

Maddie

Archived