Early access to cabin to leave your carryons?

HI,

I have read in some reviews that some people stop in their cabins before the 1pm or 130pm accesss time to leave their carry ons before heading up to the Windjammer for lunch...

Is that really not a problem with the stewards?

I would love to do that too but I never want to do anything I am not suppossed to do.:)

The hallways are typically closed so you can't get to the cabins. They normally have a check-in for carryons, sometimes at the desk, often near the dining room. They will tag your carryons and they'll be waiting for you after either 1pm or 2pm when they finally allow access to the passenger cabins...works quite well!

HI,

I have read in some reviews that some people stop in their cabins before the 1pm or 130pm accesss time to leave their carry ons before heading up to the Windjammer for lunch...

Is that really not a problem with the stewards?

I would love to do that too but I never want to do anything I am not suppossed to do.:)

I think that the thing to be aware of is that whilst the stewards are readying all of the cabins on the first day, they tend to leave/wedge the cabin doors open. You may have notticed this on the first day of cruises - depending how early you board.

Also, apparently, some passengers take the opportunity to "have a quick look around" other cabins (i.e. they see a suite/balcony room, obviously not occupied yet, and pop in and have a look round). So if you leave your carryons unattanded in your cabin, that MAY give someone a nice opportunity... :(

Having "lost" a digital camera at the ice skating show, I would be very careful what opportunities I leave people...

If you get there not long before 1pm, you could try and get along to your cabin. If you see your cabin steward, ask him if it is ok to leave your bags in the room. If you don't see your steward and the cabin door is closed, maybe consider stowing your carry-ons under the bed (with any valuables in the safe). If the cabin door is open, personally I wouldn't risk it (but that is me :) ).

Boo

Really? I have never noticed a place for checking carryons on embark day before. Thanks, I will look for that.

Boo Boo- very good point. It wouldnt be right to leave our carry ons in the cabin while the stewards are still working and leaving the doors propped open. :)

They normally have a check-in for carryons, sometimes at the desk, often near the dining room. They will tag your carryons and they'll be waiting for you after either 1pm or 2pm when they finally allow access to the passenger cabins...works quite well!

Well, ya learn something new every day!

Really? I have never noticed a place for checking carryons on embark day before. Thanks, I will look for that.

We had never seen that either until we were on the Radiance at the end of January. They definitely did not have it on the Enchantment the end of September. Glad they added it!

They normally have a check-in for carryons, sometimes at the desk, often near the dining room.

Thanks for this tidbit! Never heard of this. We'll be sure to search for this service next time we cruise...

Just off the Radiance 2/17 sailing, and we were pleased to see a sign when boarding, that all staterooms were ready and available for early access to passengers - this was at 12:30pm! A pleasant surprise!

Some of the public areas were still closed to passengers. So we dropped off our bags, and walked around the ship to get oriented, and also got some great photos without people in them of the ship's areas, including the spa. Make sure you have a look there - they set it up nicely on embarkation day so that you can walk through and check out all the rooms. Beautiful!

Sometimes we have been able to drop our bags off in the room, sometimes they won't let you in the hallway. I have never seen a place to leave a carry-on. Maybe that's new? We have learned the hard way to use rolling carry-ons. The laptop and camera equipment can get really heavy :(

Last cruise it was difficult to find a table and navigate the buffet for lunch carrying my purse, carry-on, camera bag, and kids!

I will keep and eye out for a place to check my carry on for alittle while.

thanks

The last 3 years... 1st year we knew no different... so we went down the hallway and dropped off the bags - fire doors were open.

2nd year they actually had someone posted at the entries to the hallways... no access. But since we were in 8320... I just hung out and surfed the internet until 1

3rd year, didn't bother.

Don't know that I will this year either. I wanted to check everything, carry very little on, but now that I'm bringing a laptop, I don't know that it's such a wise choice.

Archived